1/6 Hot Toys - Iron Man 3: MMS197D02 Mark XLII Diecast Series Official Spec/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still have to disconnect the forearm at the elbow joint and replace it with the normal forearm. Adding the magnet doesn't make it easier, it just adds another step to the process. Why wouldn't they just add the elbow joint to the armored limb to begin with?

I really hope I'm wrong but to me it seems odd they went that route with those two figures.

I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at. The forearms were swappable on those two figures I assume to make it easier and look better to attach the forearm armor pieces. The actual Mark XLII there's no point to that because it's an Iron Man suit not a Tony Stark figure with interchangeable parts. The only thing that I could think of that would possibly be magnetic are the battle damaged pieces. I haven't had a Iron Man armor though so I don't know if those parts are magnetic or just snap on and off.

What I meant was, I don't understand why the magnet was used in the first place for those figures and redesigned for the actual mk.42

Having the magnet does not make it easier, I'm not sure if you have these figures since you said you don't have any armors but I'll just describe the process. I have the human arm on and I want to swap it with the armor arm. I have to detach the human arm just above the elbow joint, I then attach another elbow joint that has a magnet on the forearm for the armored arm.

Why was a peg not used to attach the armor to the elbow section? I'd understand if the human arm had a magnet as well but it doesn't.

I'm not trying to start a huge debate but I'm confused as to why HT would go through the extra cost of making two molds of something like the arm twice. One with a slot for a magnet and one for a peg. My guess is the magnet was not to make it easier for the TS figures easier to swap out but easier to swap out BD parts with the mk.42.

Just my thoughts but either way, really hope it's not magnets on the actual figure.

Last edited:
My 2 cents, the arms we see from the Tony IM3 and The Mechanic would be the clean and BD ones for the Mark 42 Diecast.

I don't have the Mechanic so I wouldn't know if they are the same as the ones in the pics.

It would save HT money from casting whole new parts

No I have The Mechanic figure so I know how it works. Maybe they were just trying something new to see how it worked. The forearm armor being attached with the magnet can come off easily though I agree. If you notice though the parts that are battle damaged on the diecast Mark XLII aren't full joints so there's no reason the whole arm or leg or whatever would be attached like it is on The Mechanic or the Mark XLII Test version. The only thing I could see is if the battle damaged parts were held in place by magnets.

I'm actually hoping the arms are magnetic. I plan to display the damaged arms on Tony with the other parts floating towards him. That will only work if these are magnets. Since the new War Machine has metal elbow joints to allow the retractable feature, it would make sense if this one has metal elbows too. If they are, then it would make sense to have the forearms magnetic.

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this...

From what I read with Google Translate, it seems like Howard is thinking about making all 42 suits.
https://www.hottoys.jp/magazine/mothot/1407.html

Yeah he's said a few times now that theyll make em as long as people keep buying them, at least now most of the fluff suits can be done with part swapping from the molds that theyve completed. I dont think theyll ever get them all done, especially if IM shows up in avengers and so on

The reason the tony figure uses magnets is so you can display the armor parts by them self, without having a human elbow sticking out of it. They could not use a peg because it lights up, there are batteries inside the arm which take up most of the space. :lecture

The Mark 42 uses a different mold because its the fully formed armor. It has a mechanical elbow rather than a human elbow. Also remember HT has completely redesigned the articulation so it now has retractable double jointed elbows, knees hips, ankles

Yeah he's said a few times now that theyll make em as long as people keep buying them, at least now most of the fluff suits can be done with part swapping from the molds that theyve completed. I dont think theyll ever get them all done, especially if IM shows up in avengers and so on

He does say that it will take about 5 years to do them all, Avengers 2 will just be one or two more.

The reason the tony figure uses magnets is so you can display the armor parts by them self, without having a human elbow sticking out of it.

Couldn't you have the armor connect to the elbow via peg and just remove the peg? It's not like the magnet looks any better than a peg, neither are movie accurate :dunno

They could not use a peg because it lights up, there are batteries inside the arm which take up most of the space. :lecture

Based on what the MK.42's arm pieces look like, it will either need a peg or magnet as well then. The batteries will be in the same place as the Tony Stark versions, I can't see them placing the batteries in the biceps and have you string the LEDs through the forearm.

The Mark 42 uses a different mold because its the fully formed armor. It has a mechanical elbow rather than a human elbow. Also remember HT has completely redesigned the articulation so it now has retractable double jointed elbows, knees hips, ankles

You make it sound like they made this to fit onto a real person :lol I'm not sure how having a "mechanical" elbow vs a "human" elbow would suggest they have a different mold. The pic for the mk.42 shows that the forearms "disconnect" at the same positions as the armor testing and mechanic versions.

So they spent extra cash on a new mold and 4 magnets per figure so we could display them without a hole that the peg would have needed? Also I think making a specialized elbow to fit the HT bodies would be much cheaper than a new mold, magnets AND an elbow made to hold a magnet.

Just playing devil's advocate here, news has been slow with this figure. :lol

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this...

From what I read with Google Translate, it seems like Howard is thinking about making all 42 suits.
https://www.hottoys.jp/magazine/mothot/1407.html

That's great/terrible! Man, short list I would want:

Sneaky
Nightclub
Python
Thumper
Jack
Blue Steel
Peacemaker
Hammerhead
Shotgun
Bones

in addition to what we've already got coming with Heartbreaker, Centurion, Starboost, and Igor. Ow my wallet.

I feel like there was an interview way back when IM3 first came out when they basically said they were doing them all! I mean, with IM3 seemingly the end of IM's solo films for at least the next 4-5 years, they can milk those armors until the cows come home.

For myself, I honestly think Shotgun is the last one I'd want from those not announced. Though Bones is pretty cool.

It actually allows me to spread out the purchases a lilttle better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Having this pushed back helped out my flex cause before my last payment would be a month after it was released. It probably worked out for the most of us

I love how the War Machine Mark II turned out and now I cant wait for the Mark XLII to come out. Lucky for me Ive only had one payment get charged so far saves money for other stuff I wanna get.

Back