1/6 Hot Toys – MMS – Back to the Future Part II: Marty McFly Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know without the hair you can really see how great the face likeness is.....

Hair is definably throwing it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish HT made the pants a little longer or give him Sock covers, kind of what they did to Ledger Joker back in the day where the sock coverings the bare legs that way you don’t see the bare legs so much :slap

Somebody needs to post a pic of this figure as Alt 1985 Marty using the first release sneakers asap :lecture

C’mon now where’s the creativity with those Asian bloggers :lol

As a 30+ year fan of BTTF who's been waiting for officially licensed action figures, I was thrilled when Hot Toys got the license. I was happy with my Part I Marty, especially knowing how picky MJ Fox is about his likeness, so it got a solid pass. This figure however is absolutely atrocious. The figure looks really small in comparison to the Part I Marty, the clothes don't seem to fit on him very well, plus the overall sculpt is just hideous, in my opinion. Doesn't look like MJF at all.

I fear this figure will not sell well because of this, thus killing any chance of Hot Toys renewing the license with Universal. I know for a fact from inside sources in the BTTF world that the Part I Marty and DeLorean weren't the best sellers as they had originally predicted. Yes, Sideshow did eventually sell out, but it took much longer than they anticipated.

One of the biggest mistakes Hot Toys did with this license is the DeLorean Time Machine. They should have made one car, with interchangeable parts for all four versions of the time machine featured throughout the trilogy. Believe me, this idea was proposed to them several times from people in the BTTF world, and the idea was met with zero interest. I don't know the status of the Part II hover converted DeLorean, but I bet anything Hot Toys is still on the fence about releasing it. That new Part II Marty and Doc shown at the 2017 San Diego Comic Con was a test to gauge peoples interest, and from what I've heard, it wasn't enough to warrant continuing on unless this current Part II Marty and upcoming Doc sold well.

Hot Toys also missed the boat on this entire license; all of this stuff should have been released two years ago, in anticipation of the 30th Anniversary in 2015; not two years later when the hype has died off.

As a hardcore BTTF fan, all my life I wanted action figures (God, it took nearly a decade after the third film was released in 1990 to even get a die-cast toy DeLorean). There are so many different variations and characters yet to do... 1955 Doc, Doc and Marty (1985 Radiation Suites) w/Einstein, "Johnny B. Goode" Marty McFly, two different Marty's from Part III in 1885 gear, Doc from 1885, Clara Clayton, 1955 Biff Tannen, Griff Tannen, Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen. I know that a lot of action figure collectors who aren't into BTTF just won't get it, and say it's too much, but for hardcore fans like me, this would have been a dream come true. Sadly, as I already stated, this figure will be the death of the license for Hot Toys, and no one, and I mean no other company will be picking it up anytime soon. The licensing is too expensive, plus MJF is extremely picky about who gets to do this sort of thing in the first place.

As a 30+ year fan of BTTF who's been waiting for officially licensed action figures, I was thrilled when Hot Toys got the license. I was happy with my Part I Marty, especially knowing how picky MJ Fox is about his likeness, so it got a solid pass. This figure however is absolutely atrocious. The figure looks really small in comparison to the Part I Marty, the clothes don't seem to fit on him very well, plus the overall sculpt is just hideous, in my opinion. Doesn't look like MJF at all.

I fear this figure will not sell well because of this, thus killing any chance of Hot Toys renewing the license with Universal. I know for a fact from inside sources in the BTTF world that the Part I Marty and DeLorean weren't the best sellers as they had originally predicted. Yes, Sideshow did eventually sell out, but it took much longer than they anticipated.

One of the biggest mistakes Hot Toys did with this license is the DeLorean Time Machine. They should have made one car, with interchangeable parts for all four versions of the time machine featured throughout the trilogy. Believe me, this idea was proposed to them several times from people in the BTTF world, and the idea was met with zero interest. I don't know the status of the Part II hover converted DeLorean, but I bet anything Hot Toys is still on the fence about releasing it. That new Part II Marty and Doc shown at the 2017 San Diego Comic Con was a test to gauge peoples interest, and from what I've heard, it wasn't enough to warrant continuing on unless this current Part II Marty and upcoming Doc sold well.

Hot Toys also missed the boat on this entire license; all of this stuff should have been released two years ago, in anticipation of the 30th Anniversary in 2015; not two years later when the hype has died off.

As a hardcore BTTF fan, all my life I wanted action figures (God, it took nearly a decade after the third film was released in 1990 to even get a die-cast toy DeLorean). There are so many different variations and characters yet to do... 1955 Doc, Doc and Marty (1985 Radiation Suites) w/Einstein, "Johnny B. Goode" Marty McFly, two different Marty's from Part III in 1885 gear, Doc from 1885, Clara Clayton, 1955 Biff Tannen, Griff Tannen, Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen. I know that a lot of action figure collectors who aren't into BTTF just won't get it, and say it's too much, but for hardcore fans like me, this would have been a dream come true. Sadly, as I already stated, this figure will be the death of the license for Hot Toys, and no one, and I mean no other company will be picking it up anytime soon. The licensing is too expensive, plus MJF is extremely picky about who gets to do this sort of thing in the first place.

0340dd245e9139ce1f805873e8922930.jpg

Hideous? I do agree HT did not nail this figure and it’s a little disappointing.

I think your fandom is blinding you....the vast majority of people will not care or pay for a Marty figure, much less a 200 dollar one....

I understand you wanted perfection , but this far from atrocious ..... and likely all you would ever see every if they nailed it.

if i knew nothing about hot toys or 1/6th figures, i would tell you that was Marty Mcfly from Back to the Future 2

0340dd245e9139ce1f805873e8922930.jpg

Hideous? I do agree HT did not nail this figure and it’s a little disappointing.

I think your fandom is blinding you....the vast majority of people will not care or pay for a Marty figure, much less a 200 dollar one....

I understand you wanted perfection , but this far from atrocious ..... and likely all you would ever see every if they nailed it.

Agreed.

Even though BttF is obviously a cinematic classic to the general masses, I still think only the most die-hard of fans would pick up a $225 Marty figure, not to mention an $800 car to go with their $225 Marty figure.

And this current BttF2 figure isn't perfect by any means, but I do think to call it "hideous" is a bit of a hyperbole. The sculpt I think is better than ANH Obi-Wan and ANH Luke Skywalker, for instance. The jacket I also think fits fine, but do acknowledge the jeans could have been a bit longer; to have them expose his legs just by bending his knees a little bit to ride the hoverboard looks a bit goofy.

Personally, I see the first figure still being the more sought after one though on the secondary market.

Hot Toys have mishandled this license from the beginning. Firstly not giving us the part 1 Doc in the radiation suit. Secondly showing off the hover conversion Delorean before the 1st one was even released which probably caused a lot of people to cancel/hold off on getting it and therefore almost certainly damaged their own sales. Then more recently displaying the part 2 figures in variant clothing with the same headsculpts which confused some people as to what they’d actually get with the releases. As a fan of the trilogy I’d pick up whatever they released but maybe it would be a good idea to stop telling us something different/better might be coming out before we’ve even got the thing you’re trying to sell now. :dunno

Hot Toys have mishandled this license from the beginning. Firstly not giving us the part 1 Doc in the radiation suit. Secondly showing off the hover conversion Delorean before the 1st one was even released which probably caused a lot of people to cancel/hold off on getting it and therefore almost certainly damaged their own sales. Then more recently displaying the part 2 figures in variant clothing with the same headsculpts which confused some people as to what they’d actually get with the releases. As a fan of the trilogy I’d pick up whatever they released but maybe it would be a good idea to stop telling us something different/better might be coming out before we’ve even got the thing you’re trying to sell now. :dunno

Well said [emoji1360]

Agree with this.

I can understand them not necessarily releasing a Doc right away, and just sort of testing the waters so to speak with the first Marty figure to see how it sells. A poster said that it didn't sell as well as Universal had hoped, but it still did sell and eventually sell out nonetheless, and now goes for a relatively high price on the secondary market. You would have thought that would have then green lighted the figure's ideal counterpart: 1985 radiation suit Doc.

Perhaps HT's logic was after waiting to see how the first Marty sells and seeing that it did ultimately sell out, instead of making its counterpart (1985 Doc), they'd indeed make a Doc, but it'll be the Part 2 version and knowing that many people probably wouldn't want to pair a Part 2 Doc in 2015 clothing with their Part 1 Marty, decided to make a matching Part 2 Marty as sort of a cash grab knowing that people want a Doc and Marty, but would likely want an accurate pairing of the two. So therefore, owners of the Part 1 Marty who wanted a Doc to go with their figure did indeed get their Doc, but the wrong version. Since they're so Doc starved and simply want a Doc, they might also then be enticed to purchase a Part 2 Marty so that way it's an accurate pairing of the two.

Hopefully some review pics or videos drop soon. I'm intrigued to see the box art they've gone with and if it looks any better in hand.

I don't think anyone in China gives two hoots about BTTF, So gonna have to wait for US & European collectors to get their hands on this, before we get many more pics / vids.

You seem to be approaching this as if it was NECA or something. Most people aren't going to spend $240 on a Clara Clayton figure or 1955 Marty or Biff or own multiple DeLoreans. Sure, there's going to be a few who would, I would love a Clara, Bufford and Marty and Doc in western gear but that's not the way Hot Toys operates. Even massive sellers like Iron Man have some big gaps in their lines. No Killian from Iron Man 3, or Happy Hogan. Batman V Superman didn't see Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent or Doomsday figures made. The list goes on. They do a few key characters and move one because every Marty they make takes up a spot in the factory where they could be making a new Thor, or Darth Vader or Batman which is going to sell massively more than any BTTF figure and those figures need to be out at a certain time while the film is still relevant.

As for the DeLorean those extra parts to make all the variations would have driven the price up more and probably would have meant even less sales. As you said, Marty and the DeLorean didn't sell as well as expected. At the end of the day Hot Toys is a business and if a line isn't doing well for them it's kind of silly to expect them to delve deeper into it, isn't it? If Marty in his iconic outfit from Part I didn't sell well then a Johnny B. Goode version isn't going to do any better, would it?

Yeah, Hot Toys has handled this licence wrong. No BTTF Doc is a mistake, as is showing the hover DeLorean before the first is out but as someone who also has been wanting Back to the Future figures my entire life getting one very good Marty, one decent one, a Doc Brown and a very nice DeLorean to go along with them is more than I had for the first 30 years of my life.

Back