1/6 DID MA80170 F/A-18E Pilot – Captain Mitchell (Tom Cruise, Maverick)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't short yourself. That pic of Mav standing on the base with the helmet on the base looks fantastic.
I appreciate that :duff It was definitely a fun build. Things have just gotten so expensive now that it's not as affordable to build your own figure as it used to be. I'm finding now I'm just waiting/hoping some company makes a character I want rather than pursuing putting one together myself
@Gipetto0812 That custom looks wonderful and it’s nice you capitalised on the new movie to get it to sell :lol Do you remember where you got the helmet from?
ha! I wish! I could've made some real money probably. I sold it around spring/summer of 2019 so unfortunately didn't get to capitalize. It was just random ppl messaging me on eBay when the movie did drop asking if I still had the figure. I got somewhere around 10 messages from folks wanting to buy it if I still had it.

And honestly, I don't remember where I got the helmet from. It was a deep dive on google that led me to a really random sketchy looking website of someone who customized scaled pilot helmets and I took the leap. I don't remember the cost, but I do remember feeling stupid for paying the money that I did, especially since I had to do some work on it to get it look how it does in the pics. But they were literally the only place I could find at the time that had the helmet in 1/6 scale.

The running joke for over a decade here at the Freaks forum is that too many figure head sculpts tended to look like Tom Cruise. Yet, for a long time, there were not really any decent legitimate sculpts of him. I've had a Top Gun "Maverick" figure as a project for all of that time and it wasn't until just a few years ago that a really good option became available.

I actually liked it back with Dragon offered these celebrity sculpts on their military figures. My first custom "Gladiator" figure used the head and seamless armed body of a Dragon M60 gunner in Vietnam figure which happened to look like Russell Crowe. That really opened up the possibilities of going beyond just boxed figures.

I think that the manufacturers are well aware of the aftermarket sales involving loose parts of their figures and how it boosts their sales numbers, so they may tend to offer these celebrity sculpts as a way to sell more of the boxed sets.

But I totally understand the burn-out with some sculpts. As controversial as TC may be, I have to admit that he has done quite a number of my favorite films, over the years. Just a quick look at my collection and I'm seeing "2" Mavericks, a Jack Harper/Tech-49 from "Oblivion" and a as close as I can get at this time Major Cage from "Edge of Tomorrow" in the battle suit.
Tom Cruise is a nut job that happens to have made some of the greatest movies of our generation. That's just the facts. I'd love a screen accurate Top Gun Cruise and Kilmer...

MA80170-The-US-Navy-Fighter-Weapons-School-Instructor-FA-18E-Pilot-Captain-Mitchell-1.jpg
MA80170-The-US-Navy-Fighter-Weapons-School-Instructor-FA-18E-Pilot-Captain-Mitchell-24.jpg
MA80170-The-US-Navy-Fighter-Weapons-School-Instructor-FA-18E-Pilot-Captain-Mitchell-4.jpg
MA80170-The-US-Navy-Fighter-Weapons-School-Instructor-FA-18E-Pilot-Captain-Mitchell-44.jpg

10/10 for me I love it. DiDs quality will make this the best Topgun 2 figure of Maverick without a doubt. they're the only ones to get a decent likeness out of Tom Cruise as well.

I NEED them to do a 1986 version of Maverick that flight suit look and helmet are just so iconic and way cooler.

Brief Introduction​

From the blue maritime routes to the skies ablaze with battle, F/A-18E pilots, with their unyielding will and exquisite skills, complete a multitude of gruelling tasks and challenges, preserving the nation’s honor.

DID is excited to bring you the 1/6 scale figure of Captain Mitchell, an Elite F/A-18E pilot and instructor of The US Navy Fighter Weapons School. The figure features a sculpted head that portrays a handsome, serious expression with a resolute and sharp gaze, vividly capturing the composed demeanor of a pilot.

He wears a fighter pilot's helmet, not only adorned with its signature colorful marking but also accompanied by an exclusive flight helmet bag.Clad in a white T-shirt and flight suit, over which he dons a CSU-13B/P anti-G suit and PCU78 Survival Integrated Torso Harness and Survival Vest, his hands are fitted with GS/FRP-2 flight gloves, and his feet are in black real leather military boots. His attire is an accurate reproduction of a real F/A-18E pilot’s uniform.

In addition, he is equipped with distinctive F/A-18E pilot accessories, including an MBU-23/P oxygen mask, a CRU-103 oxygen regulator with survival vest pouch, a 14027 Sidewinder Hp Flashlight, a PRC-149 survival radio, and an LPU-33 life preserver. Additional essential pilot gear such as dark aviator sunglasses, a watch, and a folding emergency knife are also included.

After six years, we are reintroducing our Modern Military Series. The 1/6 scale Captain Mitchell figure is crafted with the same complexity and precision as its predecessors, authentically replicating the intricate details of F/A-18 pilot gears. For modern military enthusiasts, don’t hesitate to take this legendary figure home and let him continue to soar under your command. Captain Mitchell, the F/A-18E pilot, awaits your orders to take off!

PS:The cockpit that shown in the images is NOT included in MA80170.

Full Part List​

Base
1 Headsculpt
2 All New – DID 1:6 Advanced Body (Slim Ver.)
3 Left Palm X 3 + Right Palm X 3

Outfits
4 Fighter pilots helmet & flight helmet bag
5 Flight Suit
6 White T-shirt
7 PCU78 Survival Integrated Torso Harness and Survival Vest
8 CSU-13B/P Anti-G Suit
9 GS/FRP-2 Flight Gloves
10 Military boots

Accessories
11 MBU-23/P oxygen mask
12 CRU-103 Oxygen Regulator with Survival Vest Pouch
13 14027 Sidewinder Hp Flashlight
14 PRC-149 survival radio with cover
15 Dark Aviator Sunglasses
16 LPU-33 life preserver
17 Watch
18 Emergency knife

Insignia
19 Shoulder board x 1 pair
20 US Navy Fighter Weapons School Patch X 1
21 US Flag Patch X 1
22 Breast Patch X 1

d2.jpg
d3.jpg
d4.jpg
d5.jpg
d6.jpg
d7.jpg
d8.jpg
d9.jpg
d10.jpg
d11.jpg
d12.jpg
d13.jpg
d14.jpg
d15.jpg

d1.jpg

Big up to all those who guessed correct (and myself of course! :LOL:). This looks fantastic - slight changes from the Valkyrie sculpt - looks spot on all the same. Would have preferred the younger TOP GUN F-14 pilot - but hey! This blows others out of the water tbh. :cool:

Big up to all those who guessed correct (and myself of course! :LOL:). This looks fantastic - slight changes from the Valkyrie sculpt - looks spot on all the same. Would have preferred the younger TOP GUN F-14 pilot - but hey! This blows others out of the water tbh. :cool:

Tricksy DID for using a green T-shirt in their promo. :lol

People are guessing Maverick, but he'd have a white T-shirt.

Looks like they are going that way after the Galland 109. Cant lie will looks amazing.....

Thanks for posting all that info and pics @Asta :hi5:

"After six years, we are reintroducing our Modern Military Series." I wonder who else they may have in mind for some Modern Military figures/characters? I figured DAM pretty much had that corner of the market locked out

If you're truly going for Tom Cruise, I'd have to say DiD did it better for the likeness. While DiD's isn't perfect, I'd say DAM's version looks like a mix of Cruise, Ray Liotta, and a bit of Ray Stevenson to me. Neither is perfect. But DiD's works out better for me to represent him in Top Gun.

Last edited:
Ordered from onesixthoutiftters. Came out to $207 with priority shipping. Would be down for an F-18 cockpit... Goose and Iceman too :pray:

DiD head looks better. I'll probably pick up a loose head and put it on the Darkstar version.

Gone with OneSixthKit for this one, couldn't find anyone in the UK who stocks DiD anymore other than modellers Loft which are way expensive

Loving this figure, and hoping it'll do well to encourage more releases
I'd be down for a
'86 Lt Mitchell
'86 Lt Jr Grd Bradshaw
'86 Lt Kazansky
'86 Cdr Metcalf

Back