1/6 DID A80167 U.S. Army Air Forces Pilot - Captain Rafe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on them making it somewhat of a chick flick. I watched Tora! Tora! Tora! and Pearl Harbor back to back and that is when I appreciated the 2001 movie more for what it did in the battle sequence itself, they captured more horror and drama in the individuals on the ships/battleship row.

The Pearl Harbor attack depiction was brutal. It was the standout sequence, naturally.

And speaking from experience I know for a fact most people just won't be interested in Tora! Tora! Tora! just like A bridge too far, these older movies are perfect for us history buffs who love all the dialogue and planning that goes into these military operations but a modern audience/average movie watcher doesn't have the attention span for it, so Pearl Harbor did a great job at what it was trying to do especially including the Dolittle raid which most people don't know happened.

I love A Bridge Too Far. Back then if a movie was 'epic' it really was epic out of necessity, due to the lack of CGI.

I think it was in Tora! Tora! Tora! there was a scene with a plane blowing up on the tarmac, and spinning round towards a stuntman.

A quick Google brought up this, and I'm pretty sure this was the incident that made it into the film:

I agree on them making it somewhat of a chick flick. I watched Tora! Tora! Tora! and Pearl Harbor back to back and that is when I appreciated the 2001 movie more for what it did in the battle sequence itself, they captured more horror and drama in the individuals on the ships/battleship row.

And speaking from experience I know for a fact most people just won't be interested in Tora! Tora! Tora! just like A bridge too far, these older movies are perfect for us history buffs who love all the dialogue and planning that goes into these military operations but a modern audience/average movie watcher doesn't have the attention span or interest for it, so Pearl Harbor did a great job at what it was trying to do especially including the Dolittle raid which most people don't know happened.

I definitely agree with you on the differences from an audience standpoint and that's why I referred to "Pearl Harbor" as adding a chick flick element (the love stories) into the mix. Guys would be interested mostly on the action sequences and their "dates" mostly on the relationship aspects. To be honest, It was the historical aspects that pulled me out of the film. I was ok with Rafe volunteering for the Eagle Squadron in England but then having Rafe and Danny be part of both the defense of Pearl Harbor AND the Doolittle raid was a little too much. I guess that if there were to have been a sequel, Rafe would have been flying both the Enola Gay and Boxcar B-29's as well... I also am not a fan of the editing style of these earlier Michael Bay films (same goes for Armageddon). That constant scene cuts/shifts can get dizzying. I do appreciate his work on "13 Hours", though.

As for comparing "Tora! Tora! Tora!" with "Pearl Harbor", keep in mind that it was released "30" years prior and filmmaking was a different artform back then. Plus "Tora!" was more a docu-drama where historical authenticity of the events was prioritized. Not perfect but pretty close.

I still think "Tora! Tora! Tora!" is a fantastic docu-drama covering the infamous day.

"Pearl Harbor", in my opinion, was an attempt to make a "war film" into a "chick flick" and to be honest, I preferred the whole love triangle angle to the actual historical content, which I found a bit absurd, in context. I do like Hans Zimmer's score, as well.
It was an attempt to make another Titanic

I definitely agree with you on the differences from an audience standpoint and that's why I referred to "Pearl Harbor" as adding a chick flick element (the love stories) into the mix. Guys would be interested mostly on the action sequences and their "dates" mostly on the relationship aspects. To be honest, It was the historical aspects that pulled me out of the film. I was ok with Rafe volunteering for the Eagle Squadron in England but then having Rafe and Danny be part of both the defense of Pearl Harbor AND the Doolittle raid was a little too much. I guess that if there were to have been a sequel, Rafe would have been flying both the Enola Gay and Boxcar B-29's as well... I also am not a fan of the editing style of these earlier Michael Bay films (same goes for Armageddon). That constant scene cuts/shifts can get dizzying. I do appreciate his work on "13 Hours", though.

As for comparing "Tora! Tora! Tora!" with "Pearl Harbor", keep in mind that it was released "30" years prior and filmmaking was a different artform back then. Plus "Tora!" was more a docu-drama where historical authenticity of the events was prioritized. Not perfect but pretty close.
Yeah, Michael Bay has always been an iffy director to me. 13 Hours was one of the most surprising stand-out movies that was made in the 2010s I was surprised that he did such a good movie.

DID Action Figures added 5 new photos to the album A80167 WWII United States Army Air Forces Pilot Captain Rafe.​

1 h

The final version headsculpt of A80167 WWII United States Army Air Forces Pilot - Captain Rafe. The pre-order deadline of A80167 will be on 31st Aug. Hurry up to place your order.

d1.jpg
d2.jpg
d3.jpg
d4.jpg
d5.jpg

DID Action Figures added 5 new photos to the album A80167 WWII United States Army Air Forces Pilot Captain Rafe.​

1 h

The final version headsculpt of A80167 WWII United States Army Air Forces Pilot - Captain Rafe. The pre-order deadline of A80167 will be on 31st Aug. Hurry up to place your order.

View attachment 658465View attachment 658466View attachment 658467View attachment 658468View attachment 658469
So they don't want him to look like ben affleck? I'm confused.

Finished the first one.

He was hard work. At first his legs looked unnatural and he wouldn't stand on his own. I had to wrestle him into shape.

The rank bars and jacket name tag are all DIY. You have to apply the double sided tape yourself from the square provided. The name tag is a square of leather with the name printed in triplicate, so you have to cut them out individually.

The parachute straps that connect around his legs are tight, and the loops on the buckles appear to be stitched in place so they're not adjustable. They're so tight they mess up the line of his trousers. I couldn't make them look as neat as they did in the promo photos. I spent ages moving the straps on the back to create as much slack as possible, and also ages futzing the trousers to try and get them to hang better and without bulging out sideways.

One of the black toggles fell off the string on the life jacket, so that had to be threaded back on and re-knotted.

Three of the nail art stud buttons on the back of the parachute also fell off and had to be reglued.

At the end he looked really good.

Then photographing him revealed another of DID's ongoing issues: sweaty looking paint apps with the camera flash. He doesn't look that sweaty in reality, but the the flash makes him look terrible. 🤮

This was the second attempt, taken from further back, but it didn't make much difference... :sick:

IMG_1311 Rafe.JPG

IMG_1306 Rafe.jpg

IMG_1305 Rafe.jpg

The three figures made from the two sets:

IMG_1326 Rafe.JPG

The one in the flight suit is on a narrow shoulder body without any uniform underneath. The sculpt is one of the blank DID ones that came with their separate bodies, and the boots are vintage DID US Army.

IMG_1336 Rafe.jpg
IMG_1337 Rafe.JPG

Last edited:
The tight leg straps were bothering me, so he gets to hold his parachute now.

IMG_1355 Rafe.JPG

I futzed the trousers the best I could, but this pair was noticeably more messed up and creased than the ones in the other box. They still bulge out on the left thigh, regardless of the straps.

The sculpt still hates the flash, which is mad because it's actually very good in hand.

The other thing that was bothering me was using the blank DID sculpt for the other pilot. Since it doesn't have any painted features I was having to display him below eye level.

So I changed the head and used Ujindou's Commando Sniper Cillian Murphy:

IMG_1378 Rafe.JPG
IMG_1379 Rafe.JPG

The flying helmet is a little work of art:

IMG_1370 Rafe.JPG
IMG_1371 Rafe.JPG
IMG_1372 Rafe.JPG

Back