1/6 DID MA80170 F/A-18E Pilot – Captain Mitchell (Tom Cruise, Maverick)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
DID.jpg

Last edited:
Sculpt looks great but unsure of what figure they are releasing, as the little bit that we can see of his outfit appears to possibly be a WWII US Army uniform.

Sculpt looks great but unsure of what figure they are releasing, as the little bit that we can see of his outfit appears to possibly be a WWII US Army uniform.

That's what I thought from the green over green.

People are guessing Maverick, but he'd have a white T-shirt.

Headsculpt looks pretty good. I’d say DiD knows how to capture his likeness driven how good their figure of him from Valkyrie turned out. Looking forward to the reveal

So, I’m outing myself as a hater, but Tom is one of the reasons I wish they’d just do generic sculpts in general releases. He’s overdone in my book and has so much baggage to boot I would swap him out anyway. My $0.02, which is inflated in worth.

So, I’m outing myself as a hater, but Tom is one of the reasons I wish they’d just do generic sculpts in general releases. He’s overdone in my book and has so much baggage to boot I would swap him out anyway. My $0.02, which is inflated in worth.

Ever since Dragon Models popularised 1/6 military over twenty years ago they set in motion the trend for celebrities playing dress up.

Unless it's meant to depict a specific person, I'd rather have sculpts that are anonymous, or at least so badly done that they're unrecognisable.

The running joke for over a decade here at the Freaks forum is that too many figure head sculpts tended to look like Tom Cruise. Yet, for a long time, there were not really any decent legitimate sculpts of him. I've had a Top Gun "Maverick" figure as a project for all of that time and it wasn't until just a few years ago that a really good option became available.

I actually liked it back with Dragon offered these celebrity sculpts on their military figures. My first custom "Gladiator" figure used the head and seamless armed body of a Dragon M60 gunner in Vietnam figure which happened to look like Russell Crowe. That really opened up the possibilities of going beyond just boxed figures.

I think that the manufacturers are well aware of the aftermarket sales involving loose parts of their figures and how it boosts their sales numbers, so they may tend to offer these celebrity sculpts as a way to sell more of the boxed sets.

But I totally understand the burn-out with some sculpts. As controversial as TC may be, I have to admit that he has done quite a number of my favorite films, over the years. Just a quick look at my collection and I'm seeing "2" Mavericks, a Jack Harper/Tech-49 from "Oblivion" and a as close as I can get at this time Major Cage from "Edge of Tomorrow" in the battle suit.

Ever since Dragon Models popularised 1/6 military over twenty years ago they set in motion the trend for celebrities playing dress up.
I would say it is more like a street busker playing songs they know the audience will recognize, but I have to say I am intrigued by this sculpt and am curious as to where DID will place him

I’m just sour grapes. If it were the right guys, like Charles Bronson or James Coburn, I wouldn’t grouse as much but it’s like a broken record. Even some of the other repeated famous portraits like Tom Hanks are getting kind of meh - altho bright side: the quality is improving by great strides.

Harper/Tech-49 from "Oblivion" and a as close as I can get at this time Major Cage from "Edge of Tomorrow" in the battle suit.
man, I don’t have many regrets in this hobby, but I do regret selling my Oblivion figure. And I reeeeeally wish someone would make a fully exo-suit Edge of Tomorrow Cage and Rita. I had the Scaletta set off both, but the quality just wasn’t there so I sold them. DamToys has experience with exo-suit type figures, so I thought for sure they’d give EoT a try plus they tend to do environment type display bases but so far, nothing just the one headsculpt that I think was by Brother Production way back when. Soldier story has also done some exo suit type figures though I think they were based on CoD characters

man, I don’t have many regrets in this hobby, but I do regret selling my Oblivion figure. And I reeeeeally wish someone would make a fully exo-suit Edge of Tomorrow Cage and Rita. I had the Scaletta set off both, but the quality just wasn’t there so I sold them. DamToys has experience with exo-suit type figures, so I thought for sure they’d give EoT a try plus they tend to do environment type display bases but so far, nothing just the one headsculpt that I think was by Brother Production way back when. Soldier story has also done some exo suit type figures though I think they were based on CoD characters

The "Oblivion" figure is really well done, especially from a third party manufacturer at that time. I also gave him a NY Yankees ballcap! I also picked up a resin kit of the drone in 1/6 scale. It isn't an easy build but I have it in the project queue.

Jack Harper 1.jpg

I wasn't aware that Scaletta had indeed released their Cage and Rita figures! I would love to see pics of them if you have any.

If not mistaken, there were to offer a plastic and a metal exo-suit option.

As for the EoT Cage figure that I was referring to, it was indeed the Soldier Story Exo-suit version 1.0 figure. It isn't an accurate representation but at this time, its the closest that is available. In its own regard, it makes for a fantastic figure display, though.

The "Oblivion" figure is really well done, especially from a third party manufacturer at that time. I also gave him a NY Yankees ballcap! I also picked up a resin kit of the drone in 1/6 scale. It isn't an easy build but I have it in the project queue.

View attachment 663592

I wasn't aware that Scaletta had indeed released their Cage and Rita figures! I would love to see pics of them if you have any.

If not mistaken, there were to offer a plastic and a metal exo-suit option.

As for the EoT Cage figure that I was referring to, it was indeed the Soldier Story Exo-suit version 1.0 figure. It isn't an accurate representation but at this time, its the closest that is available. In its own regard, it makes for a fantastic figure display, though.
Ha I still have the same NY Yankees hat that I bought to put with that figure as well. Never got around to getting a second sculpt at the time to dremel away the hair to fit. I definitely wanted one of those drones at the time as well, just couldn't justify the price with what I was earning at the time.

I got Scaletta's first run that was all soft, 3D printed parts that had to be completely assembled by the customers. There were a lot of problems with the set and the end result wasn't as finessed as the protoypes. Rita's cannons, for instance, weren't able to operate how they should/were advertised and when we started questioning it, their answer were just to run some of the rubber hoses through the gears to create enough friction. I didn't like that "fix" personally as that seemed like a cop out for a flaw in their end product.

I did like the set enough to be interested in the metal second run; though, I don't think that's happening anymore

Here are the pics. Each set fully painted and assembled by me except the Brother production Tom Cruise head. Display stands by @Cocoboloboy and nameplates by @EVILFACE . Keep in mind, I take/took terrible pics :lol The Scaletta Rita sculpt wasn't that great to begin with and my amateur headsculpt paint apps at the time were also nothing to cry home about. I've learned a lot about headsculpt painting since then though.
IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Rita (2).jpg

Rita (4).jpg

Rita (5).jpg

Rita (6).jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

Rita (3).jpg

And to stay on topic about Maverick, here's a my custom I sold awhile ago that got a lot of interest last year when the movie dropped. Lots of ppl found this on google apparently and were messaging me through eBay, asking if I still had it. Headsculpt was a ZC Toys (i think) that I repainted. Display stand deacals also by @EVILFACE patches were done by @Hunterdnrc I believe

IMG_0355(Edited).jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_4734 (Edited).JPG
IMG_4746 (Edited).JPG

IMG_4731 (Edited2).JPG

Last edited:
Thanks! They're admittedly pretty dated now. Though, with the popularity of TG: Maverick, I probably could've gotten a lot more for my figure now than I did when I originally sold it back in 2019.
Don't short yourself. That pic of Mav standing on the base with the helmet on the base looks fantastic.

@Gipetto0812 That custom looks wonderful and it’s nice you capitalised on the new movie to get it to sell :lol Do you remember where you got the helmet from?

Back