1/6 3R/DID GM653 Benito Mussolini

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
145305hovjxayl0j8ao7tx.jpg

Yeah no doubt Mussolini. This will look great on my shelf.

Mussolini being made now must be inspired by Skorzeny, so he'll likely come with both his uniform and 'civilian' attire.

Mussolini.jpg

Trouble is he won't look as impressive out of uniform when displayed with Skorzeny.

Perhaps it’s the way you said it. Looking forward to adding it to my history collection for WW2 sounds a bit better than “This will look great on my shelf”….. Personally I don’t care what you collect, so knock yourself out with this one. I do understand why people would need it for a historical collection and why some take offense to what that figure represents.

Perhaps it’s the way you said it. Looking forward to adding it to my history collection for WW2 sounds a bit better than “This will look great on my shelf”….. Personally I don’t care what you collect, so knock yourself out with this one. I do understand why people would need it for a historical collection and why some take offense to what that figure represents.
I guess, but I in no way feel I need to justify or explain why I collect what I do. I get that WW2 and Nazis can be a touchy subject for some people, if thats the case then I feel thats their problem instead of mine.

I guess, but I in no way feel I need to justify or explain why I collect what I do. I get that WW2 and Nazis can be a touchy subject for some people, if thats the case then I feel thats their problem instead of mine.
You don’t owe an explanation to anyone. Collect what you want. This is a figure from history. We all know what they say about those who forget about history.

Well, like I said I get why people want this, but I also understand why the other guy asked about why people would want it. Historically this will make many collectors happy and add another missing piece to a WW2 collection.

For me there's never been a place in my collection for the political leaders or their cronies because the focus is on soldiers.

I didn't even want generals until the new Rommel and Patton were announced.

Mussolini only now becomes a possible addition because he was the focus of Operation Oak, and it would be unique having him standing with Skorzeny, the Fallschirmjägern, and possibly another officer from z.b.V. Friedenthal (if the pips can be safely removed from the shoulder boards).

There'd be no place for him in uniform, so most of the set would be going to waste unless there are parts that could be repurposed.

One thing that will hopefully come from this announcement are Italian soldiers.

For me there's never been a place in my collection for the political leaders or their cronies because the focus is on soldiers.

I didn't even want generals until the new Rommel and Patton were announced.

Mussolini only now becomes a possible addition because he was the focus of Operation Oak, and it would be unique having him standing with Skorzeny, the Fallschirmjägern, and possibly another officer from z.b.V. Friedenthal (if the pips can be safely removed from the shoulder boards).

There'd be no place for him in uniform, so most of the set would be going to waste unless there are parts that could be repurposed.

One thing that will hopefully come from this announcement are Italian soldiers.
Yeah come to think of it have any WW2 Italian soldiers been made. I suppose its complicated because the Germans + Japanese were the bad guys while the USA, UK & Russians were the good guys but what were the Italians? Started off neutral, then joined the Axis then became natural then fought with the allies.

italy and mussolini were the first to embrace fascism… hitler copied him. hitler and italy worked together. not neutral. italy was liberated by the US…

Yeah come to think of it have any WW2 Italian soldiers been made. I suppose its complicated because the Germans + Japanese were the bad guys while the USA, UK & Russians were the good guys but what were the Italians? Started off neutral, then joined the Axis then became natural then fought with the allies.
These are all the Italian soldiers DML made back in the day, no normal infantry man though unfortunately. some other brands made a few figures but not at the quality of Dragon.

italy.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

101014-01.jpg
unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Hmm, I must ask: what is so appealing to you collectors about obtaining ....

s-l1600 (3).jpg

f5d5e778-87b4-4f31-b412-25bfb0c923b7.jpg

What I used to say to people at OSW ( which was military 1/6th oriented, so this subject came up far more often than it did here), is to break down a set to it's component parts.

Is there anything in the set that can be useful from a hobbyist perspective outside the realm of the original subject matter?

When DID released the Obama figure, to some controversy in the forums, I pointed out the headsculpt ( there were two in the set actually) could be a great base for a 12 inch custom GI Joe RAH Doc figure. How many wooden stools do we get in the hobby? A microphone and stand? A podium. All interesting diorama fodder. What about another decent suit for just about any custom in any modern context? How common are AA body types? ( They are still released at a much less frequent clip than otherwise)

When survival expert Les Stroud is dumped into a bad situation, the first thing he looks around for is trash. No matter where you go in the world, odds are there's trash dumped somewhere nearby. ( That says a lot about people in general doesn't it...) What does Stroud say? He says nothing is garbage, everything is an opportunity. It helps to see everything as an opportunity. Then you make the most of out of what you have with what you have to work with in front of you.

Vote with your feet. Vote with your wallet. If enough people don't buy it, no one will make any more of them. Nothing speaks louder than your wallet. This is your greatest form of protest as a consumer, including in this hobby of ours.

It helps to look for the potential win, even if it's just a sliver, in any release in this hobby. To be fair, if I do have a criticism of these "historical" related sets, it's that they should IMHO offer items that just can't be found anywhere else in the hobby period. A diorama piece. A weapon. An animal companion. A piece of furniture. Etc, etc. Expand the range of the sets contents so it can potentially offer a "win" outside of the core controversial subject matter.

Back