1/3 Alien Warrior maquette - Coolprops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I just hope the final product will do justice to the paint design of the prototype. Not a fan of the open mouth's tendon seams either, but they're less noticeable on the side I plan to display. Fingers crossed they stay that way.

Man, this is frustrating. :lol I ordered the Prime 1 JH without hesitation and probably would've done so even if I had to sell the rest of my collection, just because it's that good. As much as I like this, it doesn't quite have the same effect. If the prototype has issues, can we be certain of what we'll end up with?

Galactusz, you have the CP Big Chap. Paint aside, how does that one feel to you? Good materials? Sturdy?

It is very stout. Nice heavy Polystone (except the tail, it is like the Dog Alien, a tad bendable). All the magnets are strong and fit perfectly. Nothing arrived broken. The dome is beautiful.

Some say the detail is a little soft, I disagree. It is very detailed and sharp.

I suppose the main gripe for many is the paint app. I have no problems with it. It is not the movie Big Chap. CoolProps went for the old and deteriorated look, just like the big boy at the Giger Museum. I dig it as is. Many have custom painted it. Chase Smith is fantastic. But it really morphs into a totally different thing. It just does not look like the present day Museum suit anymore.

The first time I displayed it, all my family and friends said, wow, lol. It has a lot of presence.

The minus has to be the cabinet. Do not get me wrong, it is very nice (and huge), it gives it that official Giger Museum look. The magnets are nice and it is a sturdy cabinet. The problem are the acrylic walls, it is a dust collector for sure. Every air particle just loves to settle on that thing like a magnet, lol.

It drives me nuts because I have serious OCD. But I also clean and dust a lot, thanks to that very OCD, lol.

One slight dust off every now and then should keep things sane though, ha.

I really love my CoolProps Giger maquette. I love the P1 Big Chap too, but will not be getting it. I have spent tons of money on the P1 Jungle Hunter/Victim Tree, P1 City Hunter...and now it is between the P1 and CoolProps Warriors.

My final 1/3 Alien Trinity will be the CoolProps Giger maquette, Dog Alien...and either of the before-mentioned Warriors.

Then I will be done!

:lol

Agree with the paint, moreso with Coolprops as this is what makes the alien piece 'jump out' looking organic and alive which caught my attention. If they can pull it off, I think it'll capture the terrifying nature of this beast.

Fingers crossed!

I am considering/pondering on cancelling the P1 JH Victim Hunter Tree though. It is such a huge piece. I am trying to fit that tall arze thing.

Plus it is just damn bloody skinned off dude, lol.

Do I really need that piece?

Thanks for the info on the Big Chap. Sounds like their stuff is solid. Helps to make my decision. :)

I am considering/pondering on cancelling the P1 JH Victim Hunter Tree though. It is such a huge piece. I am trying to fit that tall arze thing.

I didn't order it with my JH, but it occurred to me that if you get the Prime 1 Warrior, the victim tree would be a good way to enlarge the JH's footprint so that both pieces take up a similar amount of space.

Thanks for the info on the Big Chap. Sounds like their stuff is solid. Helps to make my decision. :)

I didn't order it with my JH, but it occurred to me that if you get the Prime 1 Warrior, the victim tree would be a good way to enlarge the JH's footprint so that both pieces take up a similar amount of space.

No problem!

The Alien Trinity would be on one side. My Predators on the other. I am planning to display the JH and City Hunter together.

That is why the Tree might be out of the picture.

Still thinking though...

Not just any skinned dude, thats Dutches good old comrade Hoppa ;-)

Look at this absurd price on this Medicom through Sideshow...

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/aliens-alien-big-chap-medicom-toy-906942

23 inch tall soft vinyl toy for a Grand??? Are they trolling people?

I bought the new NECA 40th Anniversary 1/4 Big Chap for only $140. It is just as tall...and actually more awesome.

Unbelievable.

P.S. Still debating between P1 and Coolprops Warriors, lol. It may take after the holidays to make that final decision.

The missing tendon on the one side and this seam line on the other is one big ass yikes
20201117_212431.jpg

Look at this absurd price on this Medicom through Sideshow...

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/aliens-alien-big-chap-medicom-toy-906942

23 inch tall soft vinyl toy for a Grand??? Are they trolling people?

I bought the new NECA 40th Anniversary 1/4 Big Chap for only $140. It is just as tall...and actually more awesome.

Unbelievable.

I bought one of those in kit form when they first came out. It was awesome back then although the head is too big. They are just seeing what they can get away with. It's an old sculpt that probably cost them nothing to make because all the tooling already exists.

I bought one of those in kit form when they first came out. It was awesome back then although the head is too big. They are just seeing what they can get away with. It's an old sculpt that probably cost them nothing to make because all the tooling already exists.

Agree and sadly this practice is occuring more and more. I hope no one buys them at this ludicrous price.

The ribbing is present on beesub's original digital model, but either the casting isn't crisp enough or the lacquer is softening the details.

126782730_802349157277208_1650931519500705352_n.jpg

I'm more concerned about the seams. If they're this obvious on the proto and we're assuming the usual 10-20% decrease in quality on the final product, what chance do they have of looking good?

There's one hope with CP. In the past, they've gone back to repaint and resculpt their stuff (the Scar Predator bust). With this thing being at least one and a half years out, they might fix up these QC issues if enough people raise them.

Yeah I saw his sculpt a long time ago and it had the ridges.
Cp is notorious for the thick gloss so I think that is definitely the case. But I've heard their 3d printers aren't the best either. And that's why their stuff has a smoothed out look.
Their scar predator has been around for ages though, like I remember that guy reviewing it and everyone laughing at the paint app.
That was like 2 years ago at least and it was announced a year before that. This one will probably be at least 2022 possible 2023.
The tendons are in excusable tbh and if prime1 had done that on their alien pieces they would be slaughtered here and on fb. For that cost...

Their scar predator has been around for ages though, like I remember that guy reviewing it and everyone laughing at the paint app.

Very true, it's obvious they went back-and-forth on it even after putting it up for order. Neny Dee must've gotten an early sample because the one they showed at Shanghai WF a couple months back had a much better paint app.

120565505_649308872455239_876730236729646176_n.jpg

It also doesn't look as glossy as it did in the photos they took a year ago when they first unveiled this "updated" version. If by some miracle this is a production piece, it looks great.

I sent CP an email about the seams and tubes on the Alien Warrior. If anyone else is holding back on this because of those problems, I encourage you to let them know. The delays they usually have should give them plenty of time to fix this.

Yeah inconsistent is the downfall of statue companies it seems.

Do you think this could be somewhat correlated to accuracies and sculpts getting better so the margins for imperfections are getting tinier? Though one could argue this is offset by better technologies.

I do wonder statues made prior to 2005, were they more consistent compared to todays and if so, what level of accuracy and detail did they manage to capture back 15+ years ago. Would be curious to be able to see some of these oldies in person.

Do you think this could be somewhat correlated to accuracies and sculpts getting better so the margins for imperfections are getting tinier? Though one could argue this is offset by better technologies.

I do wonder statues made prior to 2005, were they more consistent compared to todays and if so, what level of accuracy and detail did they manage to capture back 15+ years ago. Would be curious to be able to see some of these oldies in person.

I think it has to do with details definitely becoming more intricate. Accuracy has become very important.
The statues before 2005 like sideshow etc were more solid with less added on pieces. It was simply the limbs etc. Sometimes limbs were included.
I have sideshows 1/2 warrior alien and the tendons have gaps like this. But that was releases a while ago. Now days with the 3d sculpting and printing details are like never before. But I do think the less added on pieces (at the warehouse) the better. Like when I look at prime1s dog alien (I call it prime1 because they did the finished sculpt paint and 3d printing) the head on both the exclusive and regular are printed completely solid except for the inner mouth and the dome. That is why there isn't any issues with the statue other than shipping damages.
This cp statue has huge red flags of smoothed out printing thick gloss paint and the construction is lacking and missing parts. I'd be pretty concerned with that being their prototype promotional starue. Cool props also doesn't have a huge line of products so it's not like they are burdened with too many. Prime 1 also needs to calm down with the amount of statues they have.

I think it has to do with details definitely becoming more intricate. Accuracy has become very important.
The statues before 2005 like sideshow etc were more solid with less added on pieces. It was simply the limbs etc. Sometimes limbs were included.
I have sideshows 1/2 warrior alien and the tendons have gaps like this. But that was releases a while ago. Now days with the 3d sculpting and printing details are like never before. But I do think the less added on pieces (at the warehouse) the better. Like when I look at prime1s dog alien (I call it prime1 because they did the finished sculpt paint and 3d printing) the head on both the exclusive and regular are printed completely solid except for the inner mouth and the dome. That is why there isn't any issues with the statue other than shipping damages.
This cp statue has huge red flags of smoothed out printing thick gloss paint and the construction is lacking and missing parts. I'd be pretty concerned with that being their prototype promotional starue. Cool props also doesn't have a huge line of products so it's not like they are burdened with too many. Prime 1 also needs to calm down with the amount of statues they have.

Thank you for the info and very insightful! Yeah that P1 dog alien is one a kind. Agree that P1 should start focusing on consistency over quantity and slow down with the new statues releasing spam.

I might just keep an eye out on this one, see how it progresses, it certainly is concerning if this company is a little behind the curve especially if not over burdened by many projects. It's quite possible they lack the tech or some form of resources, either way there's still some hurdles this one needs to jump through which you mentioned and I agree for the wait and see approach.

Back