X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27, 2016

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it doesn't always have to be about "muh pathos!" "muh gravitas!"

CW is being hailed a near masterpiece because it successfully navigated the very difficult waters of throwing a ton of characters on screen and making them all work, not an easy task in any genre.

You know what sometimes fun and thrilling entertainment moves the soul as much as pathos and gravitas.

XMA had some exciting and emotional moments no doubt about it and some of the emotional stuff was initially presented in an even better manner than CW but then those emotional heart string moments were completely ruined or negated by what came later.

I'm sorry but XMA is not even close to the quality of CW, even BvS is better than XMA.

Putting that many characters on screen in CW was ambitious and it coming out as good as it did makes it transcendent.

Wait...is that you talking or are you quoting something? You're using your article-quoting font.

If "gravitas" is someone murdering a hundred million people and then everyone sharing a group laugh like it was the end of a Mentos commercial then yeah, glad CW didn't have any of that.

God, really?

I mean I liked it and I haven't seen XMA (though I have low expectations)

But, really?

Yep, this is where we've arrived.

After TDK, TWS, DP, we've landed "at Civil War was amazing and thankfully free of any serious undertones and emotional weight. Disney knows to keep my CBMs free of pathos and gravitas. I wanna have fun."

After TDK, TWS, DP, we've landed "at Civil War was amazing and thankfully free of any serious undertones and emotional weight. Disney knows to keep my CBMs free of pathos and gravitas. I wanna have fun."
Well, there's nothing wrong with zero gravitas, just not in a movie called Civil War.

Mind you, I don't know if I agree with you about that, imo it did have tons of gravitas, probably more than any other Marvel movie.

But then again, I haven't thought about CW since I saw it for the second time.

Last time I did see it I ended up agreeing with Pturtle's about many things though :lol

But in Civil War there was emotional weight to Cap and Tony's conflict. :dunno Yeah there was the letter at the end (which I'm guessing is the thing that made the movie feel ''safe'' to some) but it was entirely in character for Steve to write that and to continue to extend the hand of friendship to Stark.

But in Civil War there was emotional weight to Cap and Tony's conflict. :dunno Yeah there was the letter at the end (which I'm guessing is the thing that made the movie feel ''safe'' to some) but it was entirely in character for Steve to write that and to continue to extend the hand of friendship to Stark.

Here's the thing: CW DOES play it very safe and wasn't even nearly "the emotional horror movie" it was purported to be. But that doesn't at all make it a bad movie. What's there works, and works very well.

Yep, this is where we've arrived.

So the only good movies are the ones who make you feel like you witnessed Kennedy get assassinated, burned napalm babies, tiananman square or the space shuttle blowing up?

Movies with high quality fun and thrilling action sequences can't be considered "art" because it's lacking serious undertones and emotional weight?

For me emotional weight doesn't just come from dark, serious and depressing.

Last edited:
So the only good movies are the ones who make you feel like you witnessed Kennedy get assassinated, burned napalm babies, tiananmen square or the space shuttle blowing up?

Only if everyone high fives at the end.

And IrishJedi, CW didn't play it safe. Playing it safe would have been going for the cheap emotional manipulation of killing one of the main characters. :monkey3 Considering it would have been so EASY to just copy the aftermath of the comic and have Cap get offed that was pretty sweet that they went for the messier "how are the heroes going to work this out" ending. There was no convenient common foe that caused them to forget their differences, no death that stole everyone's will to fight. Just two guys slugging it out and going their very separate ways from there. That was different, unexpected, and absolutely the way to go.

And IrishJedi, CW didn't play it safe. Playing it safe would have been going for the cheap emotional manipulation of killing one of the main characters. :monkey3 Considering it would have been so EASY to just copy the aftermath of the comic and have Cap get offed that was pretty sweet that they went for the messier "how are the heroes going to work this out" ending. There was no convenient common foe that caused them to forget their differences, no death that stopped everyone in their tracks. Just two guys slugging it out and going their very separate ways from there. That was different, unexpected, and absolutely the way to go.

The relationships basically end up exactly where they began at the end. And not one single character was killed, even minor ones (not even Rhodey, who has essentially become worthless but could have at least made a good solid emotional catalyst for Tony and made his side more relatable).

So yeah, they played it safe.

But that's what Feige does (which frankly, also frustrates the Russos).

(There was signs of this with TWS, actually. Fury should have stayed dead, imho)

Only if everyone high fives at the end.

And IrishJedi, CW didn't play it safe. Playing it safe would have been going for the cheap emotional manipulation of killing one of the main characters. :monkey3 Considering it would have been so EASY to just copy the aftermath of the comic and have Cap get offed that was pretty sweet that they went for the messier "how are the heroes going to work this out" ending. There was no convenient common foe that caused them to forget their differences, no death that stole everyone's will to fight. Just two guys slugging it out and going their very separate ways from there. That was different, unexpected, and absolutely the way to go.

And whose to say Iron Man won't still try to kill or by omission of action allow Bucky to be killed in some future instalment.

As for Cap, they're saving him for Thanos would be my guess.

Back