Wonder Woman 1984 - 1/6th scale Wonder Woman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I took a chance and ordered that open mouth sculpt from Unreal Customs, as I've just gotten really tired of my BVS figure looking like a blow up doll. :D And also because I expect the Golden Armor head to be really hard to get a hold of when it's parted out. I was a little hesitant to deal with rooting the hair myself, but I've had a couple goes at it with other figures and they turned out decent, so hopefully I can make it work here too...

I'm just cashing in all of my wonder woman figures and picking the 84 one up. I think the headsculpt is the best one that I have seen, custom or not. I have a complete aversion to rooted hair (Its not for me) and have decided that I only need a single wonder woman figure in my collection......I don't have the endless space for all the variants, and tend to find it a little boring having so many variations on a similar costume.

Have been waiting forever for unreal to release the head with the sculpted hair, which I would have bought 2 or 3 of, but its unfortunately taken so long that Hot Toys have now revealed the sculpted hair version, which looks great, so I will wait on that and save myself the painting hassle.

One figure left to sell then the long wait.......

Well I took a chance and ordered that open mouth sculpt from Unreal Customs, as I've just gotten really tired of my BVS figure looking like a blow up doll. :D And also because I expect the Golden Armor head to be really hard to get a hold of when it's parted out. I was a little hesitant to deal with rooting the hair myself, but I've had a couple goes at it with other figures and they turned out decent, so hopefully I can make it work here too...

I went with closed mouth. Who are you getting to do the painting commission?

from the Hot Toys Expo in Taiwan this week.Photo courtesy of robertchen_39 Instagram.

at this time IMO this is one of the most perfect Gal Gadot Wonder Woman likeness I have seen so far.Love the extra puffy lips.

Attachments

• HT WW 2020.jpg
    HT WW 2020.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 270
from the Hot Toys Expo in Taiwan this week.Photo courtesy of robertchen_39 Instagram.

at this time IMO this is one of the most perfect Gal Gadot Wonder Woman likeness I have seen so far.Love the extra puffy lips.

Not sure who she is but I like the gal gadot in the background :lol

God, I really really hope they stick with that sculpt on the Golden Armor figure and don't switch out for the newer one with both.

Stranger things have happened but I really doubt they'd do something that silly. One is rooted and the other is sculpted so I'm thinking and hoping they keep them separate

Hello! I'm a bit new to this discussion so forgive me as I imagine a lot of people have probably been debating this exact thing: JL vs. 1984.

I was debating selling my JL version for the 1984 one, but like many, I'm not 100% sold on the sculpted hair and a few other things. Rooted hair is at many times difficult to style to look right but I feel like it works better for her since she wears her hair down and not tied up like the new Black Widow figures. I'm also worried about not being able to turn her head facing any direction but forward given the restriction though (insert Batman cowl joke here [emoji28]).

I like that the JL comes with the strap that holds the sword and shield on her back (I have the training armor godkiller sword and shield in place of the JL versions). It also took a while to get my JL version's hair to look decent enough to be happy with for display, but her golden armor smiling portrait with gentler eyes/face just fits Gal Gadot's personality a lot more for me. I honestly wish she had that headsculpt which looks almost perfect in the photos to me. It would make the decision a little easier. Does the golden armor head have the option to put a tiara on her? That would probably be the best dream scenario.

I am worried that I will regret it if I sell her and the new one turns out to be a downgrade, but at the same time, if it's a huge improvement, there will no longer be any interest in this JL version as there currently seems to be. All the other parts seem to be the same, no huge improvements, comes with a few less items, costs a lite more, only the new headsculpt which seems to what this discussion thread's really about. Anyways, any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you and cheers!
9ddfd564998e4bf20a0ca260c497afe2.jpg
327cc83bbf2ac223cdcf7249b91ef689.jpg
88595e1685d172fbfddf248d608e5dfd.jpg
867d78da903b69ee4bcd775fc76714d7.jpg
0ed4b070824081c8b1d5c558f4d29f7c.jpg
c1e6cff2a200de2604a5875f5a9a80d8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

It is being marketed as a newly developed body as well. I imagine that overall the figure will be an upgrade unless you really hate sculpted hair.

It is being marketed as a newly developed body as well. I imagine that overall the figure will be an upgrade unless you really hate sculpted hair.

Oh, interesting. Is it something new to help with the rubber cracking for extreme poses and bent joints?

Hello! I'm a bit new to this discussion so forgive me as I imagine a lot of people have probably been debating this exact thing: JL vs. 1984.

I was debating selling my JL version for the 1984 one, but like many, I'm not 100% sold on the sculpted hair and a few other things. Rooted hair is at many times difficult to style to look right but I feel like it works better for her since she wears her hair down and not tied up like the new Black Widow figures. I'm also worried about not being able to turn her head facing any direction but forward given the restriction though (insert Batman cowl joke here [emoji28]).

I like that the JL comes with the strap that holds the sword and shield on her back (I have the training armor godkiller sword and shield in place of the JL versions). It also took a while to get my JL version's hair to look decent enough to be happy with for display, but her golden armor smiling portrait with gentler eyes/face just fits Gal Gadot's personality a lot more for me. I honestly wish she had that headsculpt which looks almost perfect in the photos to me. It would make the decision a little easier. Does the golden armor head have the option to put a tiara on her? That would probably be the best dream scenario.

I am worried that I will regret it if I sell her and the new one turns out to be a downgrade, but at the same time, if it's a huge improvement, there will no longer be any interest in this JL version as there currently seems to be. All the other parts seem to be the same, no huge improvements, comes with a few less items, costs a lite more, only the new headsculpt which seems to what this discussion thread's really about. Anyways, any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you and cheers!
9ddfd564998e4bf20a0ca260c497afe2.jpg
327cc83bbf2ac223cdcf7249b91ef689.jpg
88595e1685d172fbfddf248d608e5dfd.jpg
867d78da903b69ee4bcd775fc76714d7.jpg
0ed4b070824081c8b1d5c558f4d29f7c.jpg
c1e6cff2a200de2604a5875f5a9a80d8.jpg

That messy looking doll hair is reason enough to upgrade. Just look at those pictures.

Oh, interesting. Is it something new to help with the rubber cracking for extreme poses and bent joints?

They don?t specifically say if they material is improved. They do specify better shoulder mobility in the official summary of the figure

[...]
I am worried that I will regret it if I sell her and the new one turns out to be a downgrade, but at the same time, if it's a huge improvement, there will no longer be any interest in this JL version as there currently seems to be. [...]

I had considered this figure but didn't jump because IMO the likeness just isn't there.

The hair...well, I had the CW Black Widow and spent a bunch of (very manly and very badass) time styling her hair. I got it looking good but the process was tedious and it made moving her and re-posing problematic since, well...hair moves.

Mass-produced rooted hair remains problematic, due to scale, materials, convenience and presentation. There's a separate set of problems for sculpted hair in terms of mobility and limitations, so at that point you need to pick your preferred problems. I think the real deal-breaker is how you feel about the overall likeness.

Unless you're really into action figure photography, over the longer term that sculpted hair limiting your posing probably isn't such a big issue, but it depends on how you intend to display her. There are often other issues with Hot Toys such as restrictive outfits or seamless bodies, so hair isn't the only obstacle.

If it were me...I'd jump and get the newer one. At least in this case.

Back