Why no Star Trek Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah there's that epic merchandising thing they can't settle.

I would looooove to see Start Trek HTs from the old series or the new movies.

*droooooool*

Licensed classic Star Trek collectibles are being made by Diamond Select Toys, so Hot Toys could probably do it if they wanted to. But I doubt they want to, because Star Trek stuff is notorious for "warming pegs."

Id love a Picard DX, with Enterprise D bridge (backdrop, captains chair ect). It would be super cool. Have him leaned forward on the chair, finger to the view screen " make it so ". Two outfits (his regular TNG one, then the reversed one for the movies) Smirk face and serious face. Maybe the serious face can be bruised for First Contact.

t0m537.jpg

i have to agree it's licensing. i would be aboard to buy any star trek series, from TOS to the movies, next gen and even deep space 9, voyager and enterprise.

HT pretty much only does movies. Coulson was only because of the success of the Avengers line. Plus a suit is more of a challenge then a glorified T-shirt.

They can't even keep up with their current lines and you want them to expand? It would be nice, but I just wish we could at least get some nice high quality Trek ships(and Wars too for that matter), they would appeal to a wider audience. Current versions are lacking in quality or too rare/expensive for most. There should be some nice middle ground like they have found with the Batmobile/batpod. Of course the scale will be off, but we can't expect 1/6 ships, they won't even make the Bat in 1/6, hot toys scaled down to 1/12.

Didn't Diamond do som 1/6th figures of picard, worf, and Data?
Dragon did. And the outfits are fairly simple, but HT is interested, first and foremost, in something they think will sell. That explains the heavy focus on Iron Man, Joker, updates over new characters, etc. From what I have gathered, the reason they avoid "men in suits" is that they are visually boring and therefore less likely to sell (Coulson being an exception because of his role in a big time geek comic franchise). If Star Trek was huge among collectors I suspect HT would give it some thought. But it just doesn't seem to be. And of course, there is a way to spice those up by giving characters alternate outfits and accessories. Kirk had multiple outfits, could come with some Tribbles, an extra head, etc.

Interest in Star Trek isn't strong enough to support a mass release of high end figures. However if done correctly I believe they would have a stronger appeal than guys in t-shirts. What I have heard from people inside the industry is that one of the biggest hurtles in doing classic TOS is getting Shatner to sign off on a sculpt that actually looks like him. Nimoy can be testy also. Plus I will never understand people wanting Hot Toys to take on properties with multiple characters. If a line doesn't go over like Batman or Ironman you get one or two characters and they throw in the towel. Look what happened to properties like Watchmen and Sucker Punch. If you love ST and want multiple characters go support the custom artist offering Trek characters. They may not having fancy boxes or secondary market value like Hot Toys, but you will have a chance at getting figures of the characters you want. Plus you will be supporting like minded fans who want the same things you do, instead of supporting a company that would do Kirk and Spock as a money grab and kick the rest of the characters to the curb.

Oh I get that, and Trek Fans generaly seem more frugal than most other fanboys.

This is true. Playmates had several lines of ST 12 inch figures. In 1/6th scale I believe this was the only time that the main seven crew members from TOS were all represented. These figures were only around $20 to $30 each if I remember correctly. While they don't hold up to HT or Enterbay in terms of quality, they are okay representations. By switching out the bodies and adding custom items like boots, accessories, and heads you can get a nice set. Would much rather see Hot Toys concentrate on one and done properties like Snake Plisken.

Plus I will never understand people wanting Hot Toys to take on properties with multiple characters. If a line doesn't go over like Batman or Ironman you get one or two characters and they throw in the towel. Look what happened to properties like Watchmen and Sucker Punch.
HT Dont need to make a line of figures. They only need to release a captain or two at most to represent an entire era. TOS Kirk and Movie Picard are all we need. People expecing Spock, Riker, Bones, Data will be out of look.

Plus I will never understand people wanting Hot Toys to take on properties with multiple characters. If a line doesn't go over like Batman or Ironman you get one or two characters and they throw in the towel. Look what happened to properties like Watchmen and Sucker Punch. If you love ST and want multiple characters go support the custom artist offering Trek characters. They may not having fancy boxes or secondary market value like Hot Toys, but you will have a chance at getting figures of the characters you want. Plus you will be supporting like minded fans who want the same things you do, instead of supporting a company that would do Kirk and Spock as a money grab and kick the rest of the characters to the curb.

Agreed wholeheartedly. There's no use in wishing for HT to do Trek. You would be lucky to get 2 characters.

HT Dont need to make a line of figures. They only need to release a captain or two at most to represent an entire era. TOS Kirk and Movie Picard are all we need. People expecing Spock, Riker, Bones, Data will be out of look.

Disagree, especially with Spock. Spock and Kirk are two sides of the same coin to most people. Many would think Spock is a given/necessity. And Spock is just as iconic as Kirk, maybe more so.

Back