What's next for Marvel Studios? (Post Avengers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure that's how it works. Marvel was so desperate back then, I think they get to keep the option so long as they keep making films for it.

While I don't know the specifics, I DO know there is SOME lisensor fee involved which is set by Marvel. I know that it's appearently set by marvel, and can be adjusted.

what I DON'T know is how often this particular bill comes due. NOR what type of control they have over how much it can be adjusted, only that it can be.

for fox/sony/whoever to KEEP the movie liscnese, they need to meet the following things.

what I DON'T know is how often this particular bill comes due. NOR what type of control they have over how much it can be adjusted, only that it can be.

A minimum of ONE Film associated with the liscense must either be In production, OR released EVERY YEAR. A minimum of ONE Film associated with each liscnese MUST BE RELEASED once every X years as well. Additionaly, the studio Must Periodicly renew the Liscensing agreement/contract by paying the Liscensor fee Every X years.

MArvel CANNOT Refuse the renewal, so long as all the above terms are met. the ONLY degree of controll that marvel has is the ability to adjust the liscensing fee.

If fox/sony/whoever FAILS to meet the above requirements, then the Film rights will automaticly revert to marvel.

Marvel should make the fee so high that the other studios won't want to pay it

That's basicly my understanding of it as well.
It's in there as a failsafe in the event that someone makes terrible movies that damage the brand. this gives them SOME control, even if it is Minimal.

That's basicly my understanding of it as well.
It's in there as a failsafe in the event that someone makes terrible movies that damage the brand. this gives them SOME control, even if it is Minimal.

If that were the case, wouldn't Marvel have gotten FF back with the Coreman film?

Possible, however, if i remeber, the coreman film was made JUST to meet the "release a film " requirement. it was also burried, and hidden pretty well at the time.

That's my point though. All they really have to do is shoot crap and can it to keep the license. It was never released nor intended to be, so I'm not sure releasing a film is actually a requirement insomuch as simply producing something to prove they're actively using it every time the contract's end is near.

No, It WAS released. It had one showing in one theatre. and if memory serves, it was sold out, to the people who made it, and no one attended.

in that way, it Did not damage the brand.

personaly, i think the two that saw mass release were worse for the brand.

Regardless, I WILL admit that my information is all secondhand, from various people working in various aspects of the buisness. However, given that the information all matches up, and very little of it contradicts, I'll trust it untill i'm shown conclusive evidence to the contrary.

Not to the general public, no. But It WAS shown on a movie screen, for one showing. But according to my legal friends, that was all that was needed to meet the requirements.

I don't think there will ever quite be a "post Avengers" for Marvel. If the concept stops making money, the whole CBM genre will be in for a major slump.

Back