What is your lowest numbered SSW LOTR piece ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DUH.............

The numbers on my APs have been written in black ink and are therefore invisible to the naked eye.
Ok then I forgot to mention that ALL of my statues have a black “AP” stamped on!!! SO ALL OF MINE ARE “AP’s”!!! WOOT!!!!! And they are superb!!! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :whip

Ok then I forgot to mention that ALL of my statues have a black “AP” stamped on!!! SO ALL OF MINE ARE “AP’s”!!! WOOT!!!!! And they are superb!!!

But the difference is that your APs have a number on them (in white) but mine don't!

I've tried to explain the beauty of my CT to my parents but they both say he is just ugly though they do think he is cool :p

He is the best of all of them in my opinion.

He's big. He's ugly. He's not too smart. Anyway, enough about Diesel, the Cave Troll is the best.

CCT and JS

I disagree with you on both your theory's on AP's

Having close connections in NZ (where alot of the recent AP's have been comming from) they are comming last....

Basically NZ has an allocation... The numbered ones are sold in the US and UK warehouses.

A small amout of numbered items arrive to NZ and then the balance of their allocation is AP's..

Classic Example is Elessar.... I ordered a couple. My first one was filled with a numbered one. Then the other 2 filled with AP's. My brother ordered and also got an AP....

These where supplied after the numbered ones had gone....

My belief is the AP's are used to complete/fill their commitment to the NZ quota as they cannot use numbers past the edition size....

Discusss

Michael

Having close connections in NZ (where alot of the recent AP's have been comming from) they are comming last....

I would say that the reason for this is that the APs are produced first and used for approval purposes (maybe not all of them). The numbered ones are sent out and then, when demand outstrips supply and all of the numbered ones are gone, they send out some Artist Proofs to complete their orders.

The idea that they produce APs to supplement the numbered would be a controversial one if it were true as that would bring into question the validity of setting an edition size.

I was very fortunate to get a #31 RWOS . I ordered the first day it was posted on Sideshow .:nazgul

Wounded Orc Bust - #21 (I think that is my lowest number... I'll have to double-check to make sure!)

The idea that they produce APs to supplement the numbered would be a controversial one if it were true as that would bring into question the validity of setting an edition size.

Well this is the idea i subscribe too....

Cause it was the same with the gimli's, Fell beasts , Ringwraith on steed etc...

I have seen all these as APs come from NZ sometime after the numbered ones have been shipped....

You would also note alot of the APS being sold recently including fell beasts, ringwraith, gimli etc have come from New Zealand......

The whole AP thing is controverial... I love the ones i have
but personally i havent found the paint to be too much superior than a regular one....

Michael

It seems to me out of the Statues I have , and have seen , that many times the earlier edition pieces are painted to a slightly higher standard , as are the APs . I think in some cases when they are trying to push out statues because they are running behind later on in production , the quality starts to slip a bit .

let me add my 2¢...
... I subscribe to the theory of the APs are made at the same time as the first run of the regular edition... some are stamped with APs while others are stamped with numbers. APs are samples of each line of manufacturing. In this way the APs are not made differently from the regular numbered ones as they are to check the quality of the manufacturing lines. Many APs are shipped to WETA and/or Sideshows prior to the regular shipment but I've seen 100 hundred GOW APs shipped with the initial shipment as gift to different studio execs and artists... AP is rare as it is a percentage of the numbered pieces...

With that said... I don't think any APs of King Theoden was sent initially to the QA people :rollin

I originally thought AP came as an addition to production run each time a new mold is used but I dont have proof anymore since the brown cardboard packaging that came with the Gimli with two numbers was actually for Galadhrim archers therefore it was incorrect. I go with the theory that they start shipping AP when the production run had sold out, I dont agree that they start making additional ones because
a) the mold has finished its run and wont be used again
b) the logistic of having to restart a production run for the sake of a few statues is not cost effective.

I also bought a Newborn Uruk from NZ recently that was numbered so why hasnt that one be an AP if it was meant to be sold out?

NZ also stocked numbered Gimlis previousely until it was sold out a year ago, the last stock they had a few months back I believe were all or mostly APs. One thing I did noticed with my Gimli AP was that although it was sealed and packed like new it didnt have the fresh smell of polystone. Like all the APs its probably sat at the artist studio, shown to cast members, displayed at convention centres, etc, and being the property of SS these were shipped back to SS warehouse in China then reabsorbed by NZ warehouse.

Cavey is the King.

Easterling #7
Gimli #9

The AP topic has come up a lot over the years
and don't think we ever got an official statement
from SS....

The AP debate can go on for years.... The facts few are stamped AP. Very small %....

Therefore less than the numbered ones....

At the end of the day it doesnt matter whos right or wrong... Its all sepculation...... Unless you worked in manufacturing AND distribution you'd never know....

AS stated early i have AP's i am happy. I have numbered ones... I am happy......

So long as i have the whole collection i am happy.... I am sure those who are collectors to keep are also happy...

:toast (non-alcholic)

Michael

Oh Lord, this turned into another AP debate thread. :thud

#13 Elessar Statue

Back