What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I am enjoying it very much.

Cool. :duff

I just started reading...

51-JP7PEMgL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finally managed to get my hands on the Arthur C. Clarke's Time Odyssey, It was very disappointing, I still liked it but it's a lot of reading only to find out it ends in a ****ing huge cliffhanger :gah:

And the 4th book may never happen.

9781433246098.jpg

And also finished re-reading all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, I ****ing love them, I have no interest in visiting the comics, I've read a bunch of them and they just don't fully translate how REH describes the world, narrative and even Conan's panther-like movements, plus, anything less than Frazetta's or Brom's art makes them barely tolerable in comic book form.

1dfe212c8b6beb887bfad591b9f8e278--conan-the-barbarian-red-sonja.jpg

Finally managed to get my hands on the Arthur C. Clarke's Time Odyssey, It was very disappointing, I still liked it but it's a lot of reading only to find out it ends in a ****ing huge cliffhanger :gah:

And the 4th book may never happen.

9781433246098.jpg

Love Clarke but never read that. Thank's for the honest opinion.

And also finished re-reading all of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, I ****ing love them, I have no interest in visiting the comics, I've read a bunch of them and they just don't fully translate how REH describes the world, narrative and even Conan's panther-like movements, plus, anything less than Frazetta's or Brom's art makes them barely tolerable in comic book form.

1dfe212c8b6beb887bfad591b9f8e278--conan-the-barbarian-red-sonja.jpg

Agreed 100%, though I do have the collected dark horse volumes and I still like them. Conan is just pure escapist entertainment, Tarzan too for me.

9781433246098.jpg

Love Clarke but never read that. Thank's for the honest opinion..
It's not as mind-bending as most of his stuff is, this one is more character driven, there are still juicy implications with the ancient alien civilization that appears in this series though, I'd say give it a go if you already went through Clarke's best.

Space Odyssey series and Childhood's end are still my favorites.

I got it in audiobook form, it's nicely narrated and it's easier for me to listen to at all times.

Agreed 100%, though I do have the collected dark horse volumes and I still like them. Conan is just pure escapist entertainment, Tarzan too for me.
:duff Escapism describes it well, I rarely drift away and get completely immersed in fiction anymore, but Robert E. Howard hits the spot.

Maybe I haven't read the good comics, I've read a bunch of Marvel 70's Conan and some Dark Horse ones but they don't stick with me, for starters 70's style campy comics just don't go with Conan.

Maybe I'll like Conan comics better when not adapting REH's stories.

The Sandman has some really incredible dialog. I just finished the first book, and this bit stuck to me:

The Sandman: I thank you. The kings of hell are honorable. I will remember this.
Lucifer: Honorable? You joke, surely. Look around you, Morpheus. The million Lords of hell stand arrayed about you. Tell us, why we should let you leave? Helmet or no, you have no power here -- what power have dreams in hell?
The Sandman: You say I have no power? Perhaps you speak truly... But, you say dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...
Ask yourselves, all of you... What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to dream of heaven?

Silently, they move aside, unable to meet my gaze. And walking steadily, my helm by my side, I take my leave of Hell. My hopes fulfilled.

Finished Dark Disciple and loved it. Thought it was a great Star Wars book and one of the better new cannon stories I have read.

New Mobile Report Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers

It's a re-imagining of the old Anime/Manga with new designs for the five mobile suits by Hajime Katoki.

Back