WB putting all DC movies on hold?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
Director/writer David Goyer says all the DC properties currently over at Warner Bros. have been put on hold for the time being.

When asked about several projects he's been involved with - i.e. Supermax, The Flash - Goyer said in a recent interview with IESB, "A lot of the DC movies at Warner Brothers are all on hold while the figure out, they're going to come up with some new plan, methodology, things like that so everything has just been pressed pause on at the moment. It was the double header of both Iron Man and The Dark Knight coming out, so more than ever I think they've realized, I think DC was responsible for 15% of Warner Brother's revenue this year, something crazy like that, so they realized that comic books, it's become a new genre, one of the most successful genres."

Maybe they're willing to put more thought into what they're making. Watch the video.

I think that Iron Man and TDK were game changers in terms of attracting "respectable" talent to these kinds of projects and the studios are coming to understand that they are worth the time, effort and financial investment to be done right and taken seriously.

That's what it sounds like. TDK making 1 billion worldwide isn't something to sneeze at. I doubt anything will come close to that again, but I'm sure they'll want to try.

Of course comics are one of the most successful genres now. Writers have lost all originality and ability to produce new scripts, having to resort to remaking old films already done in past generations.

I dunno after reading this all I have a gut feeling we'll see an amazing Superman film in the near future. There is money to be made so why not organize the strategy to perfection.

Just a feeling.

If they had done this years ago they wouldn't have let that god awful Catwoman be made.

This also might have something to do with the rumored actor strike. They wouldn't want to be halfway through production of a blockbuster and have to stop.

I think that comic book movies would have always been a very successful genre. The only reason they never flooded the market before was the lack of technology and inability to make super heroes and powers/abilities look real.

Sounds to me like DC started seriously thinking about creating the DCU in movies as opposed to stand alone movies. Look what a larger universe did for Smallville!

I think that comic book movies would have always been a very successful genre. The only reason they never flooded the market before was the lack of technology and inability to make super heroes and powers/abilities look real.
I think the biggest part of the current success of comic movies, more than the technology issue, has been a willingness not to underestimate comic properties and comic fans. We don't want "Batman and Robin," "Superman 4," or "Catwoman." We want real films, with real stories and serious actors that aren't treating these properties like they are the old Batman series from the 1960s.

I think the biggest part of the current success of comic movies, more than the technology issue, has been a willingness not to underestimate comic properties and comic fans. We don't want "Batman and Robin," "Superman 4," or "Catwoman." We want real films, with real stories and serious actors that aren't treating these properties like they are the old Batman series from the 1960s.

:lecture :lecture
amen to that.

I definately agree, but I do think that the genre was never taken seriously by Hollywood because it was such an impossible task to undertake. Imagine going to the best director in the 70s or 80s. Someone like Spielberg would never touch it because he would know it was impossible to do justice to the character.

In fact you can believe Spielberg would never have touched Jerassic Park if he had to use claymation! The best actors/directors/writers want to make the best most successful movies and until technology caught up to imagination they wouldnt dream of attempting it!

I definately agree, but I do think that the genre was never taken seriously by Hollywood because it was such an impossible task to undertake. Imagine going to the best director in the 70s or 80s. Someone like Spielberg would never touch it because he would know it was impossible to do justice to the character.

In fact you can believe Spielberg would never have touched Jerassic Park if he had to use claymation! The best actors/directors/writers want to make the best most successful movies and until technology caught up to imagination they wouldnt dream of attempting it!

I disagree that good storytelling is dependent upon technology. Sure if the fxs are slicker it helps the audience suspend disbelief and opens up more possibilities for creating a 'wow' image but with a solid, creative script, a film could be made that does justice to the character with a minimal budget and tech. It's all about character and story and not about cgi. TDK could've been made 30 years ago.

I disagree that good storytelling is dependent upon technology. Sure if the fxs are slicker it helps the audience suspend disbelief and opens up more possibilities for creating a 'wow' image but with a solid, creative script, a film could be made that does justice to the character with a minimal budget.

No you are right, good story telling is not dependant on technology at all. In fact when the story does take a back seat to special effects the film fails anyway (i.e. The Hulk movies). I believe a large number of successful comic book movies are made with a combination of special effects and good story. I highly doubt if Spider-Man 1 or 2 would have been as much of a success if it was the exact same story using Spider-man special effects from the 1970s version! Likewise I don't believe Iron Man would have been as successful if RDJ dawned a rubber suit and hung from wires in front of a blue screen.

I should also point out that that I use the word "successful" and not good. Doesnt matter if you enjoy story and could care less about effects because the large majority of America would not be drawn to the theaters without the special effects and thus the movie would have failed. And box-office success is the biggest draw for big name actors/directors/writers not story telling unfortunately.

Maybe they're willing to put more thought into what they're making. Watch the video.

Yes, Indeed.

They are planning a longer term roll out scenario given their properties and trying to come up with a MARVEL-like business plan to roll out and integrate some of the characters, but at WB they are also trying to figure out how to launch some of their properties. Some are just stale, period-locked or whatever like Wonder Woman.

I think it's going to be a lot tougher for WB than for Marvel. Marvel has done a wonderful job of updating their stories and settings. Not so easy when you have a bunch of 40-60's era characters in tights (Justice League).

So they have a lot of thinking to do, this is a huge investment as well. I personally think Batman was one of the easiest to adapt into a Modern hero. An exception rather than the rule.

But ask yourself, what would you do with Wonder Woman. Adapt her into a Modern Heroine or set it in WWII?

Now you see their dilemma.

That's what it sounds like. TDK making 1 billion worldwide isn't something to sneeze at. I doubt anything will come close to that again, but I'm sure they'll want to try.

yeah,DC messed Marvel up with DK. Marvel has the majority of films and characters on screen but DK rocked them.

I hope DC try and keep things more inhouse like Marvel are doing now.

When they're done outside of the studio's control for every Spiderman 2 they seemed to have about 3 Elektra's.

Hopefully after TDK's success they wont see them as a way to make a quick buck.

To be honest I'd have no problem with seeing a WW2 Wonder Woman movie, I don't think it matters as long as the story and script are strong. Got to admire Zack Snyder for not updating Watchmen.

I think studio's understimate their audiences and still see comics as Kids Fare. Hopefully TDK will change their minds on that.

I hope DC try and keep things more inhouse like Marvel are doing now.

When they're done outside of the studio's control for every Spiderman 2 they seemed to have about 3 Elektra's.

Hopefully after TDK's success they wont see them as a way to make a quick buck.

To be honest I'd have no problem with seeing a WW2 Wonder Woman movie, I don't think it matters as long as the story and script are strong. Got to admire Zack Snyder for not updating Watchmen.

I think studio's understimate their audiences and still see comics as Kids Fare. Hopefully TDK will change their minds on that.

Unfortunately DC is owned by Warner Bros. - it's not as bad as Fox - but they definitely have other things on their minds (and pocketbooks) than just serving the characters and fans to the best of their ability. So far that's how it seems Marvel has been handling things.

Back