Vintage Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a side note, you guys ever watch the show Fringe?

There are some episodes featuring vintage Roadblock and other toys (in the box at a store!) during a flashback. Cool to see that stuff.

On another side note, as it's not an action figure but very much classic '80s - I've always wanted a vintage Rubik's Cube in minty condition to display with my older toys. Any advice on what to look for (repros, price, etc.)?

I guess I should have clarified as earlier 80s figures... And I might be wrong but I seem to recall few to no missile firing toys in the early part of the decade. At least none of the lines I played with seemed to have that feature :huh

On another side note, as it's not an action figure but very much classic '80s - I've always wanted a vintage Rubik's Cube in minty condition to display with my older toys. Any advice on what to look for (repros, price, etc.)?

I bought one sealed off eBay that looks similar to this one.

$T2eC16RHJFsFFSUP8tTOBRhuZeCHL!~~60_57.JPG

They run $20-$30 sealed.

I guess I should have clarified as earlier 80s figures... And I might be wrong but I seem to recall few to no missile firing toys in the early part of the decade. At least none of the lines I played with seemed to have that feature :huh

I had a Baron Karza, but I think these were late 70s. That little missile fires out of his chest.

Karza.jpg

t6xFa6A.jpg

This was from 1987. Turn the clock back two years and you have a dream I've dreamed many times. I spy Galvatron in his cart.

Here's the source, which has lots of other great nostalgia-inducing '80s pics and videos:

https://2warpstoneptune.wordpress.com/category/g-i-joe/

I totally need to find any old pictures/videos my parents have of classic Christmases.

^ I remember a lot more options out there back then, too.

Not just TRU and Walmart, but Sears, Consumers Distributing, etc. Plus lots of smaller, mom and pop type toy stores that are all but extinct, now. :(

I've actually been thinking quite a bit about Sear's catalogs recently. I would like to get all the old vintage Joes and Transformers and set them up like they were in those old catalogs. I used to drool over all those figures I didn't have, or couldn't have because they had stopped being manufactured.

When stores actually had something in stock or stores that were worthwhile :lol
I don't know how much of this is blind nostalgia (probably a LOT), but I feel the same way. Toys R Us sucks nowadays in my opinion. Back in the day, when I was a kid, there was so much awesomeness there.

I used to go to Service Merchandise all the time with my mom and order toys (mostly LJN WWF) then you'd get it shipped to your house. We also had a mom and pop toy store that had whatever places like Toys R Us and Kaybee didn't have. They were like a dollar or two more but they had everything- Super Powers, Thundercats, MOTU, GI Joe, Transformers etc.. That was a real trip going in there. I miss that store the most. It was never crowded. Sometimes you were the only customer and as a kid you felt like you had dibs on the whole store.

I'm trying to collect all 80-89 Sears, JC Penney & Montgomery Ward Christmas catalogs. It's a pain though cause most of the time people are asking outrageous prices. For whatever reason, the Service Merchandise catalogs tends to go for the most money.

If anyone is interested, I have one Service Merchandise catalog that I'm looking to sell. It's the 83-84 with 37 pages of toys. Very good condition with nice pages. Just looking to get what I paid. $26 plus shipping and handling. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
I've actually been thinking quite a bit about Sear's catalogs recently. I would like to get all the old vintage Joes and Transformers and set them up like they were in those old catalogs.

I've thought about doing that many, many times. Get a big curio with each shelf representing a panel out of the catalog. :rock

I don't know how much of this is blind nostalgia (probably a LOT), but I feel the same way. Toys R Us sucks nowadays in my opinion. Back in the day, when I was a kid, there was so much awesomeness there.

I wouldn't say blind nostalgia...I'd say its the TRUTH!

Toys Arn't Us is not like it used to be (of course there are reasons for that).It will NEVER be like it was in the 80's (full of toys and never ever walking out empty handed)

We will NEVER see stores like Children's Palace,Lionel Kiddie City,KB Toys,Service Merchandise,or the GREAT SEARS Catalog ever again

Times don't always change for the good and those days will be missed. From the great times from my childhood of collecting some of the best properties of the 80's,properties that are still better than the crap we have hanging on the toy shelf today.The Internet is what has carried on the 80's properties into NEW awesome modern sculpts of today and is now truely the NEW TOYS R US of today.If you want to call that blind nostalgia,so be it :lol

Back