Traditional or Modernize the Joe line?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traditional or modernize the Joe line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. Plus, making that fix (if we indeed have to and HT isn't able to ship them painted afterall) will be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than having Firefly's head repainted.

The two are in no way comparable.

I actually find the Comedian's smiley buttons to be more important. I mean they were a BIG part of the plot, covers, posters, etc. Firefly has been done before without the camo mask, so it really is just a matter of taste on that one. But yes, I do realize the buttons are an easier fix, but it seems those legal issues should have been worked out before the figure was made.

Either way, I want both figures fixed :tap

I actually find the Comedian's smiley buttons to be more important. I mean they were a BIG part of the plot, covers, posters, etc. Firefly has been done before without the camo mask, so it really is just a matter of taste on that one. But yes, I do realize the buttons are an easier fix, but it seems those legal issues should have been worked out before the figure was made.

It's still not the same. Hot Toys isn't leaving the smiley off on purpose. They have no choice (at this point). And what if the only way they could do The Comedian at all was without the smiley? Wouldn't you at least want the figure to be made??

Firefly is wholly different. Sideshow made an unfortunate creative CHOICE somewhere that not only betrays the look of the original character, it's also different than their own previously-shown concept art that received raves. This makes no sense.

Either way, I want both figures fixed.
I'm with you there! And for the record, I don't think all is lost on the Comedian buttons, either. There is still a chance HT might ship the figure with them painted.

Yeah I suppose a Comedian with yellow circles is better than no Comedian. It just seems like they should have done Rorschach first while they worked on the legal issues. But then again, I guess Rorschach would be expected to come with the bloody button. I wonder if it will just be a yellow button with the red streak on it now?

But I get what you are saying. HT didn't have a choice and Sideshow did. But to be honest, we don't know how much Hasbro is controling the line. It might have been their call and not Sideshow's. I've still convinced the CCC was hasbro's idea to fit in with the rest of the Crimson Convention variants. I suppose a CCC was better than no Joe exclusive. That way those that wanted it got something, and those that didn't, it doesn't make a difference.

It's official: You suck. :lol Stick with Star Wars, dude. Leave G.I. JOE to the fans/collectors who really care.

LOL...I can't help but give some of the die-hards a hard time. But in truth, I do understand, though I do not practice the idealism.

Yeah, when they completely forgoe the original concept art they've already showed us and pull Firefly's design out of their ass it's cool.

But god forbid the Storm Trooper armor doesn't curve correctly on the sides, the whole board is in an uproar!

If you think I got involved in that, you are mistaken. There is post after post in different threads in the Star Wars section about how I am perfectly OK with the figures not being perfectly screen accurate. I even like the anime bent on the Medicom figures. So the changes in even the basic designs of ANY character that I collect is actually an interesting aspect, to me.

As I have mentioned in the SW threads about a thousand times, I consider it to be simply a different interpretation of the character, and the artists totally have the right to do that. It is much the same, to me, as when the Star Wars comic books came out after the movie. The drawn characters looked nothing like the actors. But I enjoyed them for what they were. More material about characters I enjoy.

Last edited:
Traditional, classic appearance with updated equipment and minor modern tweaks is the way to go. Combined attributes from the original figures/cartoon/comic with a modest creative influence is fine. The original essence must be captured and the character has to be instantly recognizable. That makes a good figure.

As far as this board goes, I'm probably one of the few real "die-hard" GI Joe collectors here. 12" stuff is just something I've recently gotten into (mainly because of the Sideshow Joes), and only to a comparatively small degree.

That said, I still love the Firefly figure. Do I think he could be improved with a camo balaclava? Sure - I'd probably love it even more, but that doesn't mean I still don't like what I see and it CERTAINLY is still Firefly to me.

Still... I gotta say, my favourites in order are probably something akin to SE first, then Duke, Storm Shadow, Cobra Trooper, Cobra Commander and finally Firefly (not counting the variants). So, yeah... I guess what I'm saying is that I've liked every Sideshow figure so far, but some to a lesser degree. Firefly is one of those, but I certainly think it's an awesome take on the character.

Can't we imagine that somewhere In Firefly's wardrobe, he might have other balaclavas that he breaks out from time to time when the camolfaged one needs to be washed, and that some of the spares are not camoflaged? Maybe Firefly likes variety.

I'm just sayin'.

Can't we imagine that somewhere In Firefly's wardrobe, he might have other balaclavas that he breaks out from time to time when the camolfaged one needs to be washed, and that some of the spares are not camoflaged? Maybe Firefly likes variety.

I'm just sayin'.

If he wants a clothes closet, there is a whole internet of wardrobe changes for 1:6 figures.

I'm just sayin'.

That sounds more like Ken (barbies boyfriend) concerned with making a fashion statment than a badass explosives expert... Are you calling firefly, Ken?:horror

That sounds more like Ken (barbies boyfriend) concerned with making a fashion statment than a badass explosives expert... Are you calling firefly, Ken?:horror

I don't think it'd compliment a world renowned expert at espionage to run around smelling like ass because he digs the dingies.

yeah maybe Firefly put the balacava on and thought "too much camo" so he went with his plain one.

I don't think it'd compliment a world renowned expert at espionage to run around smelling like ass because he digs the dingies.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl "Commme ooon man" (NFL segment voice)

I was thinking more the "Brundle fly" logic. 5 sets of exactly the same camo clothes so he doesn't have to think about what to wear... He just grabs the next set on the rack and he's off to blow ^^^^ up!

all the people whom jumped on the complainers about the Sniper Trooper need to appologize! :lol

No.

While SS made up the sniper, it is generic faceless army builder that would have fit in with the original line. He still works.

With Firefly, they took one of the top characters in the line, showed kick ass concept artwork, and then gave us something that looked nothing like it and took far to many liberties from the characters established look.

No.

While SS made up the sniper, it is generic faceless army builder that would have fit in with the original line. He still works.

With Firefly, they took one of the top characters in the line, showed kick ass concept artwork, and then gave us something that looked nothing like it and took far to many liberties from the characters established look.

Didn't he support CCC? His opinion's caca anyway. :lol

If I had to pick one I'd say go full traditional... but like a lot here I think a balance between the traditional look with some modern touches is the best balance; Duke being a great example.

I like some of the modernized componets of some of the figures, but I would take traditional over it anyday.

Ahhhh, NOW the support for the traditional look is ramping up a little. It seems to be falling in line with the general feel of the threads now.

I just ran across a Lanard figure in my collection, that I think would be a fine "modern" update for Sideshow Beachhead, following the trend started with Firefly.

DSCN2066-1.jpg

Don't let the overly nostalgic whiners tell you otherwise, Sideshow, this is what Beachhead was always meant to be.

Back