Traditional or Modernize the Joe line?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traditional or modernize the Joe line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I've got to choose, I say classic. As Dino says, I don't mind some minor modifications to "modernize" figures, but when you take the essence of a character's look away, you might as well just buy a generic military figure. This is freakin' G.I. Joe, not modern generic military/terrorist agent. There are plenty of military figures out there if I want that, that cost way less than a Sideshow figure.

If I've got to choose, I say classic. As Dino says, I don't mind some minor modifications to "modernize" figures, but when you take the essence of a character's look away, you might as well just buy a generic military figure. This is freakin' G.I. Joe, not modern generic military/terrorist agent. There are plenty of military figures out there if I want that, that cost way less than a Sideshow figure.

Amen....I am done for tonight.

keep modernizing, but they need to be a bit less out there. Firefly looks cool and all, but he's too different. I can live with the patches on the pants and jacket, but the hood, don't like and the balacava needs to be correctly patterned.

Modernize, but stay TRUE to the basics.

keep modernizing, but they need to be a bit less out there. Firefly looks cool and all, but he's too different. I can live with the patches on the pants and jacket, but the hood, don't like and the balacava needs to be correctly patterned.

Traditional look with some modern updates.

Example, we don't want Gung Ho in a diving suit.

:lecture

Traditonal with modern influences is what I would like to see. If a character is obviously dated, update some of those elements, but don't sacrifce the essense of the character's look. The one character I worry about is Zartan. His exposed abs and arms seem very '80s to me and wouldn't exactly be practical in this "realistic" take on the line. So I'm sure he will undergo some changes, but hopefully they won't be too extreme like Firefly here. Without the GI Joe label being on him, I might just think he looks like a Firefly rip off because of all of the explosives.

The original looks were pretty modern for the early 80's. Things change in 30 years, but not much. RAH look with modern accents is perfect. RAH accents won't make modern military figures into G.I. Joe/Cobra.

The only thing they should be going for in 'modernizing' is to keep the figures realistic. Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, Cobra Troopers, Storm Shadow and Duke are on the right track.

Probably tend toward classic, but I like the modern updates. My favourites so far have been SE, the Cobra Trooper, Storm Shadow and Duke. Cobra Commander took a while to grow on me, so I guess it's pretty clear how I feel. I like the Firefly figure a lot, but I think it's getting close to the line. Basically, I want them to be traditional enough so that any casual collector or childhood fan of GI Joe can look at a figure and know instantly who it is. I'm not sure Firefly fits that criteria, unless his green SMG and walkie talkie are prominently displayed.

I think the design as is is pretty sound, although they should have given him a grey camo or at least just a straight grey balaclava. I don't see any real reason why they couldn't have done that and it would have gone a long way to firmly establish the character's identity, visually.

I'd say consideration needs to be made on a case by case basis. BTW, no poll = fail! :p:lol

In the end, yeah, that's what I think too.

What does it tell you that we're now about 7 figures into the line and this is still a concern?

Well, 2 of them are variants, so really 5 figures in, but yes it shouldn't really be an issue considering the feedback they received on things like the Firefly preview.

I'm counting all announced/previewed figures, too. Here are the individual figures so far (without the 3 variants/rehashes):

Snake Eyes
Cobra Commander
Cobra Trooper
Storm Shadow
Duke
Firefly

Okay, so 6. :p

I'm counting all announced/previewed figures, too. Here are the individual figures so far (without the 3 variants/rehashes):

Snake Eyes
Cobra Commander
Cobra Trooper
Storm Shadow
Duke
Firefly

Okay, so 6. :p

I think 6 isn't a huge sample, but for the most part I think they do alright on their design choices. However, Firefly is a mistake and a sign of a great company would be to fix at least the minor changes like the mask repaint when 90% of the customers want it.

I will say this, in some cases the moderizeation can be pretty cool. but they can just as eaisly be total fail.

i am in 100% for every 1/6th joe who is true to the original design.

the ones that are "reimagined" I'l have to take on a case by case basis.

Back