Traditional or Modernize the Joe line?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traditional or modernize the Joe line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Duke is the perfect example of what the line should be. Traditional look/colors with a modern update/equipment.

sideshow-duke-01.jpg

all the people whom jumped on the complainers about the Sniper Trooper need to appologize! :lol

Duke is the perfect example of what the line should be. Traditional look/colors with a modern update/equipment.

sideshow-duke-01.jpg

how come he isnt in arctic gear, isnt that the version of duke everyone was clamoring for?
He looks way too recognizable here, needs to look more generic and futuristic...

I am actually surprised that traditional didn't get more support with all of the pathetic sniveling about the license moving away from the cheesy comic books.

Make mine modern.

I would also be OK with both as I don't HATE the vintage look. But I like as much realism as possible. So I really like this new Firefly.

I am actually surprised that traditional didn't get more support with all of the pathetic sniveling about the license moving away from the cheesy comic books.

Make mine modern.

I would also be OK with both as I don't HATE the vintage look. But I like as much realism as possible. So I really like this new Firefly.

It's official: You suck. :lol Stick with Star Wars, dude. Leave G.I. JOE to the fans/collectors who really care.

Yeah, when they completely forgoe the original concept art they've already showed us and pull Firefly's design out of their ass it's cool.

But god forbid the Storm Trooper armor doesn't curve correctly on the sides, the whole board is in an uproar!

I voted traditional.

But actually Nam said it best ... update looks on case by case basis. I think the safest route however would be to go traditonal RAH across the board and then modern updates can be added with all the extra modern gear made available like they did with Duke or each collector can bash their own updated looks to their satisfaction with other loose equipment.

Case-by-Case is definitely the way to go. :lecture Some characters need little to no "updating" while others could use a good bit of modernizing. (Note to Sideshow: Firefly was in the former category :rolleyes: )

When you glorify the past, your future dries up. SSC has the right idea with this line.

And when you completely ignore the past, you are also doomed to failure.

Sideshow's best tact would be to continue to try and walk the fine line between both.

Obviously, with Firefly they erred (completely unnecessarily) by veering too far away from the original character. But they've shown with others (Storm Shadow, Duke, Cobra Trooper, etc) that they can be faithful to the property while doing their own thing at the same time. This time, however, they forgot to change the bong water. I mean... they even betrayed their own concept art!!! :duh

Yes, so far Sideshow has been hitting home runs with the mix of classic and modern. Snake Eyes, Duke, and the Troopers being the best examples. CC, while I like the Bradstreet art, could have been closer to his militaristic dictator look and still be classical and modern. But I'm still very happy with him. Firefly is just a bit too different without the camo on his mask. I know that sounds like a small thing, but it would have been like CC with a red hood instead of blue (oh wait they already did that!). But that is really my only complaint and it is easily fixed either by Sideshow or a talented customizer.

Yes, so far Sideshow has been hitting home runs with the mix of classic and modern. Snake Eyes, Duke, and the Troopers being the best examples. CC, while I like the Bradstreet art, could have been closer to his militaristic dictator look and still be classical and modern. But I'm still very happy with him. Firefly is just a bit too different without the camo on his mask. I know that sounds like a small thing, but it would have been like CC with a red hood instead of blue (oh wait they already did that!). But that is really my only complaint and it is easily fixed either by Sideshow or a talented customizer.

It needs to be fixed BY SIDESHOW. I call B.S. on paying $125 for a figure that should've been properly designed/painted in the first place.

Oh wait... it WAS properly designed. Sideshow just chose to poop on their own already-shown concept art for some reason.

How come you aren't throwing the same fit about the HT Comedian not having his button's properly painted?

Because that's an annoying legal issue and not a dumbfounding creative oversight. In other words, that one is not HT's fault while this one clearly is Sideshow's.

I agree about Duke being the right kind of balance between classic and modern. I think the same holds for Snake Eyes. Both are compromises that work.

The buttons is more an issue of copyrights vs. blatantly leaving it off on purpose.

Yes. Plus, making that fix (if we indeed have to and HT isn't able to ship them painted afterall) will be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than having Firefly's head repainted.

The two are in no way comparable.

Back