TOMY Prestige Select Die-cast 1/350 Scale Enterprise Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or maybe Tomy can produce a support strut that is a mirror image of the current one, so we can install it on the other side of the display base.
Well if you look at the pics. There is a cutout on the Starfleet insignia and two small holes. So you would need to get a modified base as well.

I was able to get ahold of Tomy’s customer service and cancel my order for a full refund. I imagine I’m not the only one canceling so, if you’re in the market for one and can live with the plugs/seams, be on the lookout for it in Tomy’s shop.

It almost seems like a 2 to 1 ratio of the posts on the RPF forum are about cancelling versus keeping their orders.

Let's hope Adam Savage and his buddy Norm make a video showing how we can whip up a new stand with a few parts from the hardware store.

Even though I loved Mythbusters, and continue to watch it from time to time. I never really care for his projects when it came to collectables. Whenever he did his unboxing videos with Norm, I felt like I was watching another YouTuber with his Grandson with how they treated it sometimes, and Norm wasn’t the one that represented the kid in this equation.

I know I'm probably projecting here and maybe a tad vindictive. But with all the lies and half-truths being thrown around by big businesses (which by now should know full well this new age "cancel culture" we've created will not let such things pass easy), and too ambitious for their own good small businesses that end up declaring bankruptcy leaving their customers holding the bag...I've developed quite the chip on my shoulder in the past couple years and wouldn't mind it terribly if Tomy sees enough cancelled orders they wind up having to drop the price in their store or liquidate stock to someone like Master Replicas. You just don't do these things to your customers and expect to get off without a hard smack on the wrist.

For anyone interested in the latest YT update (more info than what Tomy is sending out in a press release, along with an extended rant yet a promise to still be getting the model despite it all), check this guy's channel: https://youtube.com/@StuartFoleyCaptainFoley?si=sQc7v0ganX9vFUQR

He should be doing a full review when it arrives as well.

Looking at posted pictures, I just realized that the Tomy Enterprise is missing windows/lighting on the port side edge of the saucer section (likely a result of the replica being faithful to the original filming model). Another reason to display the model from the starboard side, screw hole plugs and all.

Last edited:
I canceled mine. I was willing to accept the plug holes, and seams, even that weird stand thing that covers half the ship. But the support that covers the bottom dome was the straw for me. It wasn't in any of the promo pics or videos, and if it was, I'd never have backed it to begin with.

I can't believe these are selling for twice the price on eBay though. For that money you can commission a really good painted lighted model and not have any of the issues this one has.

Yeah but the current auction shows the prototype, which looks pretty good. Wildly different base/presentation.

Attachments

• IMG_9068.jpeg
    IMG_9068.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 0
Yeah but the current auction shows the prototype, which looks pretty good. Wildly different base/presentation.

I was looking at sold items. But yes even those have the promo pics that don't show the supports. I wouldn't want to deal with the angry buyers when they get the actual item.

I'm keeping mine but seriously considering cancelling my 2nd order.
@Phoenixblazes - regarding the base for the saucer section. If the holes for the clear stand were mirrored on the other side, could it be switched? Also, any chance you might put up a short video walk-around for youtube? You don't need to edit it, as long as it showing clearly the plug issue and base. IT would really be appreciated.

I was so excited for the promise of an refitted Enterprise, but now I'm just not so sure. Even if this one ends not being as badly as I fear once I get it in my hands, it would be hard for me to trust a company that backed out on their promise without any recompense and couldn't even conceive to put that massive stand on the uglier side.

I want to examine those clear bases once I have it in-hand. I want to see if I can make a mold of it or turn it into a solid piece and cast a clear resin to replace it. There are some super clear resins out there, that I hope I can make that ugly base disappear.

I'm still not sure how to deal with those seams.... without having to re-paint the whole thing.

Honestly, does anyone really care that it's diecast? I would have much rather had a replica like the prototype than to have seams and plugs. Being diecast is a nice material, but it doesn't really mean anything.
I do think they're trying to do right by their customers, but there's a failure in design there where the plugs should have been on the other side and the seams should have been in different places, and that's on them.

I can't get over how bad that stand looks. It's just ugly and detracts from the whole ship. And they cheaped out by using hollow reinforced plastic.

Clear plastic is also at risk of yellowing or turning brittle over time, too. So if it looks bad now, it could look a lot worse down the road.

It's a shame it all turned out this way, but at least they're offering refunds.

Honestly, does anyone really care that it's diecast? I would have much rather had a replica like the prototype than to have seams and plugs. Being diecast is a nice material, but it doesn't really mean anything.
I do think they're trying to do right by their customers, but there's a failure in design there where the plugs should have been on the other side and the seams should have been in different places, and that's on them.

I care that it is diecast. That makes it unique from any other 1/350 ever released and it should be more durable which means it will last longer into the future. Diecast toy collecting is a thing. As far as I know diecast toys done use bondo or try to cover seam lines. I wondered about quality if they had actually tried to do it. I will view it for what it is. A high quality diecast model of the Enterprise....

Looking at posted pictures, I just realized that the Tomy Enterprise is missing windows/lighting on the port side edge of the saucer section (likely a result of the replica being faithful to the original filming model). Another reason to display the model from the starboard side, screw hole plugs and all.

Yes those windows were also painted on the Filming Model. Never lit. I would not have wanted all lit windows....I'm glad they kept that detail...

Back