Time Travel question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid I was more interested in stopping time, rather than time travel. I figured I could see naked girls that way. :yess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY9sBATdA0Q

I remember The Girl, the Gold Watch and everything! *sigh* I'm old...:monkey2

If I could stop time I wouldn't leave the house without a tube of KY.

:lol:lol:lol

A mall full of women suddenly find themselves pantless and surprisingly refreshed.

And, blinking. A lot.

I'm not sure "refreshed" is the best word to use if KY is involved! :panic::horror:panic:

Figures the star wars guy doesn't believe in the time travel... they all seem against it in the Fiction as well :)

I remember The Girl, the Gold Watch and everything! *sigh* I'm old...:monkey2

I'm not sure "refreshed" is the best word to use if KY is involved! :panic::horror:panic:

Yeah, me too! Both remembering the movie and being old... :duff :lol

There was The Girl, the Gold Watch and Dynamite too!

You said he was building a time machine. I said that you cannot time travel. You said that I don't understand the science so I can't comment. I said the issue is pre-scientific, and that yes, I can comment. Scientists proposing to send anything forward or backward in time have misconceptualized time. I don't care how they have used their data to rationalize the error. It's still an error, and it is the same species of error made by the crackpots who produced that joke of a documentary.

The thing is though, you have no scientific authority to make these claims. You no almost nothing of science or physics, and your "facts" about the nature of time are just some ideas you have with no basis in reality. If you were to share these ideas with real actual scientists you would be laughed out of the room.

Worse, you force your ideas on others. Since you have already made up your mind, anyone that disagrees with your ideas is wasting thier time and should be stopped. All research that tries to disprove what you have already decided is not to be conducted, as not only will it not produce any results, but we won't even stumble upon something we didn't know in the process.

Forget pre-scientific. That is straight up anti-scientific.

You go on to say it's nothing like I'm assuming, that he's only sending particles, or something, but then you start talking about telephones that can communicate with the past. So what am I assuming incorrectly, again?
Yes actually. It sends waves of light and energy back in time. If this is successful, it would be pretty easy to code audio into digital signals and decode it on the other end. Then you just connect it to a device that records audio in the past and plays it back at the appropriate time.

And I'll bring the Nazis into this as much as I like, thanks. When I see the philosophy underlying their movement rearing its head anywhere, I will strike it off. Have you studied philosophy? Do you know the history of government sponsored research? Do you know why private money refuses to support science it deems useless or wrong? Do you know how propagating irrationality serves totalitarian states? Do you know what I'm talking about whatsoever?

From the sounds of it, Goodwin's law.

You compare government funded research to facism because it happened to occur under the Nazi's but its also responsible for some of the most remarkable scientific achievements of all time.

The large hadron collider (or anything else at CERN for that matter), cell phones, the internet, medicinized penicillin, man landing on the moon? All government funded.

These things were publicly funded because the people like you in the private sector deemed it useless and a waste of time.

Last edited:
Yeah, me too! Both remembering the movie and being old... :duff :lol

:lol :duff :lol

There was The Girl, the Gold Watch and Dynamite too!

:yess: :rock

The_Girl_the_Gold_Watch_amp_Dynamite_TV-652572383-large.jpg

The thing is though, you have no scientific authority to make these claims. You no almost nothing of science or physics, and your "facts" about the nature of time are just some ideas you have with no basis in reality. If you were to share these ideas with real actual scientists you would be laughed out of the room.

Worse, you force your ideas on others. Since you have already made up your mind, anyone that disagrees with your ideas is wasting thier time and should be stopped. All research that tries to disprove what you have already decided is not to be conducted, as not only will it not produce any results, but we won't even stumble upon something we didn't know in the process.

Forget pre-scientific. That is straight up anti-scientific.

Yes actually. It sends waves of light and energy back in time. If this is successful, it would be pretty easy to code audio into digital signals and decode it on the other end. Then you just connect it to a device that records audio in the past and plays it back at the appropriate time.

From the sounds of it, Goodwin's law.

You compare government funded research to facism because it happened to occur under the Nazi's but its also responsible for some of the most remarkable scientific achievements of all time.

The large hadron collider (or anything else at CERN for that matter), cell phones, the internet, medicinized penicillin, man landing on the moon? All government funded.

These things were publicly funded because the people like you in the private sector deemed it useless and a waste of time.

Caillou-xl-pictures-12.jpg

Lets get this thread back on track. Handjob at most. That's all I'd do for myself if I travelled back in time and met up with myself. And I would expect reciprocation or so help me I would kill myself.

Last edited:
:lurking

I always found the idea of Time Travel fascinating. There is too many paradoxes that come in to play to go backward in time with the "Grandfather paradox" but going forward in time seems more plausible.

Well you current string of reality is the one that is affected by your past mistake. When you go back in time to correct your mistake then a new string of reality opens. The previous string of reality carries on without your existence, until you time travel forward.

But isn't that a parallel universe? You know, the whole thing Doc Brown was talking about with the alternate 1985?

^Additionally, when you time travel back, you will meet your younger self. That past reality already had your existence, but with your time traveling device, another alternate existence has "intruded" into that past string of reality.

In other words
A-Your present string of reality.
B-Your past string of reality, which contains a younger form of yourself.

You travel from A to B. Your existence in A is removed. You can meet your younger self in B. Now you can choose to remain in this past string of reality, where there is both a young and old version of yourself. In effect, despite sharing identical DNA, you will still be two different people. Only when you travel back to the future, will you be able to see your change take place.

Yea but when Marty traveled from 1985 to 1955, his existence in 1985 was removed. Had he traveled to say, maybe 1965, he may have actually met the baby form of himself, 10 years after his parents united at the senior prom. Only when he traveled back to the future, was he able to relish the changes in his reality, IE now his family is successful and Biff is a carwash guy.

^Additionally, when you time travel back, you will meet your younger self. That past reality already had your existence, but with your time traveling device, another alternate existence has "intruded" into that past string of reality.

In other words
A-Your present string of reality.
B-Your past string of reality, which contains a younger form of yourself.

You travel from A to B. Your existence in A is removed. You can meet your younger self in B. Now you can choose to remain in this past string of reality, where there is both a young and old version of yourself. In effect, despite sharing identical DNA, you will still be two different people. Only when you travel back to the future, will you be able to see your change take place.

I was never able to grasp string theory. But I see what you're saying. I just don't know how one could control the flow of time to the point of being able to jump from A to B with the accuracy of going to the exact point in time which you desired. I mean the universe doesn't operate solely on Earth's clock.

The only concept I could believe in was going forward in time. Traveling close to the speed of light would cause the time dilation of time passing very slowly for you and much faster to those on earth. I know there is a figure for it which is escaping me right now, but I know you can live well beyond your years if you were traveling at a constant speed say 9/10 the speed of light.

Lets get this thread back on track. Handjob at most. That's all I'd do for myself if I travelled back in time and met up with myself. And I would expect reciprocation or so help me I would kill myself.
You are creating a paradox right there. Whatever happens, don't forget the KY.

:lurking

I always found the idea of Time Travel fascinating. There is too many paradoxes that come in to play to go backward in time with the "Grandfather paradox" but going forward in time seems more plausible.
Alternate or parallel universes may be a possibility.

You are creating a paradox right there. Whatever happens, don't forget the KY.

Alternate or parallel universes may be a possibility.

Yeah I know about M theory. But I honestly don't think human intervention could even change the flow of time in the past.

Back