Tim Burton's Brainiac sketches/models from Superman Lives

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I get it. Its just he's very boring imo. He's invincible. Aside from Kryptonite.

SR was very nice to look at, but didnt care for it. Then again, dont like the character anyway.

Oh and Transformers > Superman. Bizznich. :naughty :p

if you did get it you would know hes not invincible... the concept of a "god" having everything and not wanting anything but only wanting to belong is not boring.

Meh. I like things that explode. And I aint afraid to say it. ;)

Also, if Superman punched someone's head off, i'd download all the comics from now on.

And I mean a human, and I mean normal Superman, not some bizzaro world thing.

Superman is beyond punching someones head off.

He could be like the recent Wolverine or Hulk movies where the hero gets his ass handed to him by everyone.

Superman Returns was well acted and well directed. It was just boring as hell :mad: It was basically Superman catching people for 2 hours. And the reason why it was so boring is because Lex Luthor was the villian. The whole problem with Lex Luthor is he's just not threatening. The audience does not perceive him as a significant threat. His whole plan was so lame and stupid, you just don't give a damn. So therefore when the most powerful man in the world defeats Lex Luthor its NOT impressive. The audience doesn't care, big freakin deal. Actually the fact that it took him 2 hours to stop Lex is kind of pathetic. Why didn't he just pick him up and put him on an island at the start of the movie :confused:

And the way Lex Luthor was presented was all wrong. What makes him interesting is that he's rich and he owns 'Lex-Corp'. He can build machines and weapons and hire other villains to fight Superman. But in the movie he doesn't have none of that. So your grand show down, is some guy on a boat and then you push a giant rock into space. Really? Really Superman? And seriously after you can push a Kryptonite asteroid in to space how can you still be hurt by a sliver of Kryptonite in Lex's pocket? :banghead

Finally the real problem with this movie is Brian Singer's Achilles' heel. Brian Singer can not choreograph a fight scene. He. Can't. Do It. It's one of the main problems i had with X-men 1 and 2. The fight scenes were so boring and uninteresting and one-sided you didn't even have to pay attention. And Superman Returns has no fight scenes ! I mean Superman doesn't punch anyone, He doesn't- w-WHAT!? WUT!? HOw can you I mean just, An 8 year old would have made a better movie! " Whats Superman gonna do in your movie Timmy?" "Punch! And fly and Super speed and LAser eye! And then he'll beat up like 200 guys and then Rip a robot apart and then he'll throw a tank into the Sun!!" - Thats already more entertaining then this movie

ANd I know it wasn't meant to be an action movie and Brian Singer was trying to show the elegance of the character. Well thats great Singer you can have that and keep it cause I don't want to pay $10 to watch Superman catch people for 2 hours, push a rock into space and then have a heart attack.

I really enjoyed Superman Returns, and I thought it was a good companion to Parts 1 and 2. I would rather sit through Returns again than watch a nondescript Robot fighting another poorly developed robot character for 20 min's, because that was boring.

The last sketches of of superman costume to me seem to be of Steel and the Erdicator (The Cyborg Superman), not of superman himself. I guess Tim Burton's movie was going to follow the "Death of Superman" plot from the comics?

kinda neet to see what Burton did with the kevin smith script that was superman lives.
yay for polishing turds. where is his design for the Gay R2D2?

The last sketches of of superman costume to me seem to be of Steel and the Erdicator (The Cyborg Superman), not of superman himself. I guess Tim Burton's movie was going to follow the "Death of Superman" plot from the comics?

No, that was Superman.

I don't care what anyone says about SUPERMAN RETURNS, it's a much better Supes flick than this Burton/Cage/Elfman monstrosity would have been.

Read for yourself...https://www.geocities.com/Area51/Comet/2181/smith.txt But picture the cast Burton was lining up:

Superman- Nic Cage
Lex Luther- Kevin Spacey
Brainiac- Tim Allen
Lois Lane- Courtney Cox
Jimmy Olsen- Chris Rock

Really.

A lot of the pre-liminary sketches were based on the Kevin Smith (Clerks, Chasing Amy etc) script, and most of the ideas he had to incorporate came from Kevin Peters (who wanted him to throw out loads of stuff like not having him fly, changing the suit [because it looked too "faggy" apparantly - his words not mine] and to have him fight a giant Spider [which eventually showed up in Wild Wild West])

The robo-suit was meant to be Superman fused with the Eradicator which was going to act like body armour after he was resurrected or the sun was blocked out I can't remember which. Either way it would have drained his powers.

GEEKSTRIKE
Eradicator is NOT Hank henshaw ( Cyborg superman) They are two different characters!

Eradicator is a kryptonian techno-biological weapon that borrowed some of superman's DNA to give himself a body. His job is, and always has been to protect kryptons legacy. After he made himself into a double of superman, his mind got all foggy, and the thought he WAS superman.

Hank Henshaw ( cyborg superman) has an origon story that reads like Redd richards.
He his wife, her brother and his best friend were astronauts, who's ship was bombarded by cosmic rays, giving them superpowers. However, they soon after died of radiation poisoning. Henshaw's power, Mastery over technology, allowed him to trasfer his contious mind into machines, he bounced around, eventualy ending up in the ship that carried superman to earth. he used the kryptonian birthing matrix tyo give himself a body that was part machine, part tech. becuase it used supermans dna to build the body, he ended up looking like him.
He also blames superman for his familys death.

Read for yourself...https://www.geocities.com/Area51/Comet/2181/smith.txt But picture the cast Burton was lining up:

Superman- Nic Cage
Lex Luther- Kevin Spacey
Brainiac- Tim Allen
Lois Lane- Courtney Cox
Jimmy Olsen- Chris Rock

Really.

Funny that Kevin Spacey did eventually play Lex. Not exactly sure about Tim Allen as Brainiac though. I wonder if he would have grunted like Tim the Toolman Taylor :lol

Funny that Kevin Spacey did eventually play Lex. Not exactly sure about Tim Allen as Brainiac though. I wonder if he would have grunted like Tim the Toolman Taylor :lol

Tim would have worked in in somewhere, as I d o not see him taking such a role AT ALL seriously.

Gene Hackman was a way way way better Lex Luthor then Spacey...thats all from me.

Very freaky. I like Burton's work, but would prefer he stay away from my iconic comic book superhero movies from now on. Batman kind of made sense, since Batman and Burton are dark and a bit disturbed, but it didn't really mesh that well, and Burton is surely ill-suited to doing a proper Superman film. I could dig Burton taking on a Grant Morrison story like the Invisibles, though.

The best part about Superman Returns was Brandon Routh, he was perfect as Superman. It failed because of the whole "having him leave/getting Lois preggers" angle. Routh was a young Superman (Lois was young too), it should've been a total reboot. They looked too young to have that much history. Lex should've been a rich powerful guy, owning Lexcorp, wearing strength-enhancing armor. Spacey's role as Lex was identical to Hackman's, more inspiration should've been pulled from the comics.

I enjoyed the movie thanks to the sense of nostalgia it gave me....but at the end of the day Cyclops from the X-Men saved a creepy deadbeat dad version of Superman in a waterplane that ultimately lead to him getting the ^^^^block of steel.

kids dont get the concept of superman.. POLLUTED BY VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES AND MOVIES LIKE TRANSFORMER >:[

Oh I get it. Its just he's very boring imo. He's invincible. Aside from Kryptonite.

SR was very nice to look at, but didnt care for it. Then again, dont like the character anyway.

Oh and Transformers > Superman. Bizznich. :naughty :p

if you did get it you would know hes not invincible... the concept of a "god" having everything and not wanting anything but only wanting to belong is not boring.

Superman Returns was well acted and well directed. It was just boring as hell :mad: It was basically Superman catching people for 2 hours. And the reason why it was so boring is because Lex Luthor was the villian. The whole problem with Lex Luthor is he's just not threatening. The audience does not perceive him as a significant threat. His whole plan was so lame and stupid, you just don't give a damn. So therefore when the most powerful man in the world defeats Lex Luthor its NOT impressive. The audience doesn't care, big freakin deal. Actually the fact that it took him 2 hours to stop Lex is kind of pathetic. Why didn't he just pick him up and put him on an island at the start of the movie :confused:

And the way Lex Luthor was presented was all wrong. What makes him interesting is that he's rich and he owns 'Lex-Corp'. He can build machines and weapons and hire other villains to fight Superman. But in the movie he doesn't have none of that. So your grand show down, is some guy on a boat and then you push a giant rock into space. Really? Really Superman? And seriously after you can push a Kryptonite asteroid in to space how can you still be hurt by a sliver of Kryptonite in Lex's pocket? :banghead

Finally the real problem with this movie is Brian Singer's Achilles' heel. Brian Singer can not choreograph a fight scene. He. Can't. Do It. It's one of the main problems i had with X-men 1 and 2. The fight scenes were so boring and uninteresting and one-sided you didn't even have to pay attention. And Superman Returns has no fight scenes ! I mean Superman doesn't punch anyone, He doesn't- w-WHAT!? WUT!? HOw can you I mean just, An 8 year old would have made a better movie! " Whats Superman gonna do in your movie Timmy?" "Punch! And fly and Super speed and LAser eye! And then he'll beat up like 200 guys and then Rip a robot apart and then he'll throw a tank into the Sun!!" - Thats already more entertaining then this movie

ANd I know it wasn't meant to be an action movie and Brian Singer was trying to show the elegance of the character. Well thats great Singer you can have that and keep it cause I don't want to pay $10 to watch Superman catch people for 2 hours, push a rock into space and then have a heart attack.

The best part about Superman Returns was Brandon Routh, he was perfect as Superman. It failed because of the whole "having him leave/getting Lois preggers" angle. Routh was a young Superman (Lois was young too), it should've been a total reboot. They looked too young to have that much history. Lex should've been a rich powerful guy, owning Lexcorp, wearing strength-enhancing armor. Spacey's role as Lex was identical to Hackman's, more inspiration should've been pulled from the comics.

I enjoyed the movie thanks to the sense of nostalgia it gave me....but at the end of the day Cyclops from the X-Men saved a creepy deadbeat dad version of Superman in a waterplane that ultimately lead to him getting the ^^^^block of steel.

I grew up reading superman comics, and returns, while the design was there, The look was there, and the FEEL was there, the story was a huge pile of Caca. THAT'S where the movie fell short.

As for the concept of "what if god was one of us" idea of superman, i agree, that's a central part of the story, and ESSENTIAL to his character.

i just think it's presented better in Smallville. By the time he don's the tights, and becomes a super-hero, he's Accepted who he is, and what he must do, the struggle of just trying to be normal is over.

Back