ThunderCats Classics by Mattel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have them all too now ...
Such shame the line won't continue . I could write my wish list .. but it's actually pretty long . I do wish the last 2 core cats woulda been made .

Can someone tell me why exactly Mattel is no longer producing the Thundercats line?
I've heard all sorts of rumors but I would like to know "officially" why?
Never picked up any of the HeMan subs but I swore that if Mattel ever made the Thundercats in the same fashion, I'd buy the **** out of them...
I'm 2 complete sets in.

They are cutting costs. Therefore they are shutting down mattycollector and their "adult collector" lines, incl TC.

However Super7 tries to take over the licence and continue the line.
Mezco does also have a licence for their One:12 line. So we will get a nice set one way or the other.

They are cutting costs. Therefore they are shutting down mattycollector and their "adult collector" lines, incl TC.

However Super7 tries to take over the licence and continue the line.
Mezco does also have a licence for their One:12 line. So we will get a nice set one way or the other.

What's the current status of that situation? I haven't hard anything further from Super7 acquiring TC so it must still be in limbo.
So even if they somehow gain acquisition it will be a lapse in time before any new product. I had hoped for an update by now, but
its looking less likely as time passes.

No. They are a separate toy company that producing mostly retro figures and other knick knacks. They also had licensed out MOTU from Mattel so there's a strong relationship there.

Aside from some sloppy paints apps & minor nitpicks, this line is incredible! I'm in for 2 more subs! Super7 make it HAPPEN NOW!!!!!!

So... this line feels incomplete. While I still have high hopes for a big announcement from S7 at NYTF (the 4HM have protos left and they will try everything to release them, just like they always did with MOTU) and also look forward to Mezco's One:12 TC line, I really doubt we will ever get a Thundertank to go with them. Fortunatly the LJN Thundertank fits pretty well with the scale. I happened to find this pic:

Edit: Sorry, no hotlinking to thefwoosh. Check out the review to see a pic of Classics Panthro in LJN Thundertank.

https://thefwoosh.com/2016/12/mattel-thundercats-classics-panthro

Even better, I just scored a Thundertank in mint condition for <100USD shipped.

I know, some say it is a little small, but it is one of my alltime favorite toy vehicles and Panthro will look great in it. :)

Last edited:
I really hope Super7 can secure the license and, along with the Four Horsemen, create a more robust lineup along with completing the main team. This will be such a wasted opportunity if it doesn't go through, though I wouldn't blame Super7 for not trying. I'm sure it's more difficult to entice WB to license the property to a smaller company like Super7 compared to toy juggernaut Mattel. It also may be too expensive for Super7 to afford.

Back