Media The Retro Gaming Discussion Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I freaking loved being able to play PS1 and PS2 games on my fat launch PS3. Being able to play the PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics on my PS3 via remote play on my PSP blew my mind back in 2007.

Of course, this was before Square re-released FF Tactics as Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on PSP.

Back in either 2003 or 2004, for Christmas I told my then 25 and 21 year old brothers they could pick out any TV they wanted under $1K. This was right when HD was coming on, and I kept telling them to future proof their purchase and pick an HD TV. Those dumb@sses chose a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron instead, SMH (35"? Can't remember, all I know is that damn thing is heavy).

That monster still works, and it's still sitting in the back corner of the rec room at my parent's place. We have all our unused consoles there as well: PS2, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, N64, Nintendo Gamecube, and Xbox, with an AV switch, as well as all the games we had for those systems. We keep meaning to hook up the old systems to have retro gaming sessions when we go by and visit my parents. My kids love playing Parappa the Rapper whenever we go visit my parents.

They enjoyed watching me play Resident Evil 5 and 6 (wife wasn't too happy with that), but when I started playing RE Remake on Gamecube, that scared the ***** out of them LOL.

Sounds like a blast! Pretty sure those Trinitron cost an arm and a leg back then. :lol

I've got a fat ps3 that isn't backwards compatible, and it's a workhorse for us watching Netflix and dvds. Don't play games all that much, but it's really quiet. I'm wondering if I should look into this paste issue you guys are talking about. My Xbox 360 sounds like there's a space shuttle launching whenever I turn it on.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well, since it Netflix isn't generating a lot of heat, I'd say it's nothing that you should look into soon. That being said, all fatties have an expiration date, it's only a matter of when unless you address them before YLOD happens.

I went through three Xbox 360's and the stupid red ring of death. I won't buy another Xbox system.

Damn. Was this before the slim 360?

It's been so long that I can't remember how much I paid for it, but yeah, it was expensive for its time. The thing is, the older console's graphics looked so much better on those CRTs...because HD would show exactly how limited the PS2/XBox era graphics were.

My original XBox 360 (purchased in the spring after it was launched) RRODed exactly one month out of warranty. I thought I was SOL until Microsoft did their PR move and said they'd fix any RRODed units, regardless of when it was purchased. Got a refurbed unit out of this and promptly sold it on Craigslist...and the dude I sold it to emailed me three months later asking about the warranty as that unit RRODed. My youngest brother bought me a 360 Elite for Christmas in 2011, but I've barely touched it.

It's been so long that I can't remember how much I paid for it, but yeah, it was expensive for its time. The thing is, the older console's graphics looked so much better on those CRTs...because HD would show exactly how limited the PS2/XBox era graphics were.

My original XBox 360 (purchased in the spring after it was launched) RRODed exactly one month out of warranty. I thought I was SOL until Microsoft did their PR move and said they'd fix any RRODed units, regardless of when it was purchased. Got a refurbed unit out of this and promptly sold it on Craigslist...and the dude I sold it to emailed me three months later asking about the warranty as that unit RRODed. My youngest brother bought me a 360 Elite for Christmas in 2011, but I've barely touched it.

To be more precise, modern TV's could not upscale and deinterlace lower resolution images properly, since HDTVs just aren't built that way. Older games can look pin sharp amazing on HDTV, but you'll need the right hardware and cables. I cringe whenever someone hooks up an old console on a modern TV trough composite (yellow) cables, you're much better off playing on CRT.

Mentioning retro games, I recently took out my my N64, PS2, and Sega Genesis the other day. Nothing beats playing the games you love on original hardware. Emulation only goes so far, and the experience is sorely lacking.

Mentioning retro games, I recently took out my my N64, PS2, and Sega Genesis the other day. Nothing beats playing the games you love on original hardware. Emulation only goes so far, and the experience is sorely lacking.

Pics or those consoles don't exist.

Pics or those consoles don't exist.

You're just gonna have to take my word for it! :lecture. Anyways, I connected my consoles directly to my HDTV, and man did they look worse than I remembered them. They certainly haven't aged well. So, I put them back in their boxes. This is why PC Master Race will always reign supreme.

Agreed. That's why I could care less about the NES Classic or Super NES Classic. I've got the original systems.

You're just gonna have to take my word for it! :lecture. Anyways, I connected my consoles directly to my HDTV, and man did they look worse than I remembered them. They certainly haven't aged well. So, I put them back in their boxes. This is why PC Master Race will always reign supreme.

You need to go old school with the TV, too. I have a nice CRT set that I use. These old systems need to be played on an old set. They actually don't look as bad that way. :lol

Don't need crt just need better cables .

Cables are an integral part of gaming. I shudder when I see someone hook their PS2 on a HDTV trough composite (yellow) cables and blame the "graphics not being as good as I remember".

Cables are an integral part of gaming. I shudder when I see someone hook their PS2 on a HDTV trough composite (yellow) cables and blame the "graphics not being as good as I remember".

Exactly ,I recently hooked up my n64 wow it was so blurry with the regular composite .

Nah, his smug face just bought a Framemeister. :monkey3

Oh, please, dude. For that overpriced piece of cheap plastic, I can pick up two Iron Man figures from Hot Toys. Why the heck would I even consider a Framemeister to play old, obsolete tech? Get with the times, homie, it's not good living in the past :lecture. I bet you still have a mullet and use Windows 3.1!

36824229402_8e0770d42f_h.jpg

36995869835_406c05afbd_h.jpg

36824229502_bb9d0c7b6d_h.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. That's why I could care less about the NES Classic or Super NES Classic. I've got the original systems.

You need to go old school with the TV, too. I have a nice CRT set that I use. These old systems need to be played on an old set. They actually don't look as bad that way. :lol

I've completely given up on hopes of getting either a NES Classic or SNES Classic. I can always borrow those consoles off one of my cousins, along with the games anyway. I have an old Sony 19 inch CRT, a relic from my parents from the late 80s. Surprisingly, it still works great. Just a tad too small for my taste, though.

Back