Media The Retro Gaming Discussion Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PS3 Slims are hot boxes, try taking the lid off the top and letting it breathe it's so much quieter you wouldn't believe it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I'm playing through MGS4 for the first time in years and my PS3 Slim is chugging. I'll give that a try.

Ive modded mine with a decal, interior carbon wrap, and a red led fan. When the lid is off the ps3 slim never gets hot enough for the high speed mode to kick up on the fan so it doesnt burn up and drone with that loud horrid turbine noise.
6e000013046080f56d8bb38ec87aae4e.jpg
a58c54bcf14ac0a1c2072b0c18c97cd6.jpg

Ive modded mine with a decal, interior carbon wrap, and a red led fan. When the lid is off the ps3 slim never gets hot enough for the high speed mode to kick up on the fan so it doesnt burn up and drone with that loud horrid turbine noise.
6e000013046080f56d8bb38ec87aae4e.jpg
a58c54bcf14ac0a1c2072b0c18c97cd6.jpg

That's a sick mod, Jason! But wasn't it you who made a hole trough the case many years back?

The slims are hot, but they're very reliable (citation needed!). As much as I like the original Fat designs, they have an expiration date, they WILL die due to the poor thermal paste.

Yeah, it's the backward compatible one. I'm going to be heartbroken when it finally goes out.

I honestly can't believe it hasn't died yet. :lol mine got that yellow light of death. I sent it back to Sony and they offered me a slim so I took it. Sucked so bad losing all my saved games.

I think PS4 saves are on a cloud server.

No, the fat overheating was the reason it died. The thermal paste on the processors got dried out and brittle. If people knew to redo the paste on them theyd have survived. I was servicing ps3 fats back in the day and the people i know who had one that i fixed is still working just fine. If anyone has a fat and its still working im telling you right now youd better redo the paste or itll break.

Oh I forgot all about that. I wasn't about to open it myself to mess with it. I only went as far as PS2 to clean the laser lens.

Yeah what happens is the processors get so hot that the solder melts and the chip contacts release from the board. When you replace the paste you want to use the silver stuff, its much tackier and has a better heat tolerance.

I can't believe my fat PS3 is still going. It sounds like a jet engine when it's on, but it still works. :lol

Seriously Zod, you gotta have that serviced because once it's dead, it's dead. I'm dead serious as I can be here. :lol

Is that the backwards compatible one? I think the emulation of both the PS1 and PS2 hardware are what killed the originals.

Well, to be more precise, the launch models have an actual, working PS2 inside the PS3. Real hardware and stuff. The 2007-2008 models only had emulation, hence why people sought out the launch models so much.

No, the fat overheating was the reason it died. The thermal paste on the processors got dried out and brittle. If people knew to redo the paste on them theyd have survived. I was servicing ps3 fats back in the day and the people i know who had one that i fixed is still working just fine. If anyone has a fat and its still working im telling you right now youd better redo the paste or itll break.

Yeah no kidding, the thermal paste inside the Fat is beyond bad. I remember dissembling my MGS4 Gun Metal one and the paste crumbled like powder.

How about the Slim thermal paste? Have you replaced that?

Havent had to, my slim runs cool. Although it never gets turned on anymore. I did replace the blueray laser. After i did that i relubed the chassis and gears. I think codbo smoked it due to running mostly from the disk all the time and the amount of hours i played.

Havent had to, my slim runs cool. Although it never gets turned on anymore. I did replace the blueray laser. After i did that i relubed the chassis and gears. I think codbo smoked it due to running mostly from the disk all the time and the amount of hours i played.

Sounds like you took every precaution there is. Do you think I should replace my slim fan or just clean it? I've never opened it since I bought it in 2009. I was thinking of cleaning the lens and lubing the rails, but not sure what to do about the fan.

You could just spray it out if it sounds quiet, i just changed mine because i wanted an led one.

Oh thanks for the mini tutorial Jason! With those mad skills, you ought to be installing Gamecube and N64 HDMI mods. :lol

Probably would if i was interested in it for myself. I dont work on stuff unless im super pumped to do it unfortunately. Thanks though.

I freaking loved being able to play PS1 and PS2 games on my fat launch PS3. Being able to play the PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics on my PS3 via remote play on my PSP blew my mind back in 2007.

Of course, this was before Square re-released FF Tactics as Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on PSP.

Back in either 2003 or 2004, for Christmas I told my then 25 and 21 year old brothers they could pick out any TV they wanted under $1K. This was right when HD was coming on, and I kept telling them to future proof their purchase and pick an HD TV. Those dumb@sses chose a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron instead, SMH (35"? Can't remember, all I know is that damn thing is heavy).

That monster still works, and it's still sitting in the back corner of the rec room at my parent's place. We have all our unused consoles there as well: PS2, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, N64, Nintendo Gamecube, and Xbox, with an AV switch, as well as all the games we had for those systems. We keep meaning to hook up the old systems to have retro gaming sessions when we go by and visit my parents. My kids love playing Parappa the Rapper whenever we go visit my parents.

They enjoyed watching me play Resident Evil 5 and 6 (wife wasn't too happy with that), but when I started playing RE Remake on Gamecube, that scared the ***** out of them LOL.

Last edited:
I've got a fat ps3 that isn't backwards compatible, and it's a workhorse for us watching Netflix and dvds. Don't play games all that much, but it's really quiet. I'm wondering if I should look into this paste issue you guys are talking about. My Xbox 360 sounds like there's a space shuttle launching whenever I turn it on.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back