Media The Retro Gaming Discussion Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to see if I still have my Wii. I stopped playing it a long time ago so if I have it I can mod it without caring if I mess it up. :lol

Well, I bought a modded Wii a few weeks ago (since my original wasn't modded and I don't know how to soft mod it) and I'm having the time of my life. It plays Wii & Gamecube games natively and any other retro consoles you can think of via homebrew.

Personally, I'd rather play games on their native hardware, but anything using cartridges are quite an investment. There have been recent breakthroughs in modding the signal of old consoles to output RGB via HDMI, which means it's possible to hook up a N64 to a HDTV for the joy of playing on real hardware.

I got a modded Xbox a couple years back. It had thousands of arcade, nes, Genesis, snes, etc. games on it. But more than that I play my DS with nes and neo geo emulators on it.

Nice, my main issue with PS1 on PS3 are the slight input lag and the "image smoothing" sucks. I'm working on some ways to play PS1 games on HDTV without those issues, lets see how it turns out.

Oh, you might as well get Silent Hill 1 on PS1 as well, it's like $5 on PSN!

have you tried running the disc on a PC off an emulator? it might not be 100% perfect but i think comparing to a PS3 emulation it has more choices & improvements over the PS3. HQ3X enhancement is amazing.

also faster loading time & 1080p.

On a side note, anybody who still owns a Gamecube and the component cables ought to be proud- you can make a small fortune with those.

cable0703a.jpg

if you're talking about the Official Nintendo Cables they are worth a bit. but there are many 3rd party component cables out there. 3 in 1, 5 in 1, 7 in 1.

don't forget GC/N64/Snes shares the same cable connection, however N64 & Snes works on Composite, S-Video & SCART but not Component.

the Scart cable is much rarer however the value is only 1/4 the price of component.

have you tried running the disc on a PC off an emulator? it might not be 100% perfect but i think comparing to a PS3 emulation it has more choices & improvements over the PS3. HQ3X enhancement is amazing.

also faster loading time & 1080p.

Yup I have, for the longest time in fact. It will look 50x better than the PS3 but I'd prefer to run it with native hardware.

if you're talking about the Official Nintendo Cables they are worth a bit. but there are many 3rd party component cables out there. 3 in 1, 5 in 1, 7 in 1.

don't forget GC/N64/Snes shares the same cable connection, however N64 & Snes works on Composite, S-Video & SCART but not Component.

the Scart cable is much rarer however the value is only 1/4 the price of component.

That's grossly incorrect. There are no third party GC component cables out there since the GC output for component is actually digital-to-analog, requiring only the official Nintendo GC Component cables to work. Hence why the cost $250 and above.

SCART cables for the GC only works on PAL consoles and will not give you 480p. And they're still expensive either way.

Last edited:
****, almost makes me want to buy another one in case mine dies--but I'd have to track down another backwards compatible one. :mad:

I'll vouch for the modded wii group. I mentioned it before in the NES classic thread (those can be modded too btw) and quite honestly, for anyone looking to play games that are no longer being supported, there really is no reason for you to pay premium aftermarket prices to own them unless you're trying to add them to a collection of some type.

This thread reminds me I gotta dig out the old coleco vision and figure out how to hook it up to these new tvs.

I just ordered a used ps3 in good condition off of eBay a couple days ago to replace an old, slow blu ray.

Didn't know they were still being made at all.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

My original fat backwards compatible 60GB PS3 died in 2011. The replacement slim model I got still works, but I liked the fat high gloss OG PS3. The slim PS3 is primarily used as my family's Netflix/Blu-Ray player on my 55'" Samsung LCD, although lately I have been using it to play Street Fighter IV. The PS4 I have hooked up to my 72" Mitsubishi.

I still have my OG PS3 boxed up, and have been contemplating getting it fixed...for honestly, no good reason, except that I want to, LOL.

I think the PS2 got more play time, but that's probably because I was still in college when it came out and didn't have kids yet so I could have marathon midnight gaming sessions. The PS3 came out when my first child was born, so I had less of an opportunity to play, but still was a great system for me.

Last edited:
My fat PS3 (32GB model) died during the summer of 2010, just after I finished Red Dead Redemption. I put so many hours into that game it's no wonder it did. As it was during the summer, it was very hot indoors and the console might have overheated, though. In any case, I replaced it with a still-functioning PS3 Slim.

The Slim sounds like it's going to croak any minute, but I guess it's always sounded that way. :dunno

The PS3 Slims are hot boxes, try taking the lid off the top and letting it breathe it's so much quieter you wouldn't believe it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back