The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

I've never seen The Shire so green.

I have . . .

maxresdefault.jpg

:monkey3

Has anyone seen the 5 disc DVD version in any actual store? Even walmart and amazon are sold out online.

Been watching the first Appendix disc.

The thing they did with the slave camera in Bag End blew my mind. So cool.

Watched some of the EE last night. I love it!

I was particularly excited to see the dwarf and Thranduil re-enacting this classic scene:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pQRfqrZRPk[/ame]

I know I'm late to this discussion but I finally got see this, although I did thoroughly enjoy it, it looks very different to the LOTR. Some parts look like video game cut scenes. What happened?

48fps happened. The film is fine, storywise, acting wise, ect...(minus a few terrible scenes) but Jackson chose to put the important stuff over the visuals and effects, like George Lucas, which has me worried.

The film was shot in a different frame rate, which made everything look brighter, and everything moved faster. Hence why the effects look like video games, and everything doesn't feel real or natural.

What other films were filmed at 48fps? I thought the whole more fps was meant to be better, hence why it was invented? :dunno

I'm not sure, actually. From what I read it was created to eliminate motion blurs in film, to make it smoother.

But the more frames you have, the less it looks like a film, which, in my opinion is a big misstep. But to break it down simply-

24 FPS is film.

60 FPS is television

30 FPS is video.

I know I've said it before but I really liked the way the 48fps came out. Other than one odd movement early in the film when I saw it I enjoyed it. I will say on Blu this movie looks great. Either way this film is just fantastic. I love the TE but even more so the EE. I can't wait to sit down and watch all six films after the last Hobbit film comes out.

So after watching EE again on High Def Blu-ray IMHO, Azog most certainly doesn't look like crap like some think.

Watched the EE in its entirety. It's fantastic!

This has to have highest concentration of good new scenes of any EE he's done so far.

With each LOTR EE there was always a trade off of good and bad to the point that I actually prefer the TE of FOTR and TTT and cringe at some of the additions in ROTK.

Not so with UAJ, this longer cut is THE version to watch permanently from here on out IMO. Well done PJ. :clap

A lot of the extra exposition really made it "feel" like more of a LOTR film throughout but there was just enough added zaniness to keep it light and frolicky like The Hobbit should be compared to the other more serious books.

Last edited:

Josh, I finally got my order from Amazon. I haven't opened the statue box yet, but does it look lighter out of the box? Mine seems to be painted a lot darker than yours is. Mine looks almost like they put a dark wash over the whole statue.

Can you take a quick pic?

Just saw the EE's were at Sams and was wondering if anyone thought it was worth picking up, glad to see the overwhelming consensus is a yes, gonna go back for one in the morning.:yess:

The film was shot in a different frame rate, which made everything look brighter, and everything moved faster. Hence why the effects look like video games, and everything doesn't feel real or natural.

How can a film look brighter from frame rate?

Yeah but thats in post production not via the speed of the film.

It does have to do with how it was shot.

How can a film look brighter from frame rate?

I'm not sure it is necessarily brighter by default, but from what I understand, higher frame rates can be shown brighter (projector cranked up) without creating the flicker effect that would appear on a standard 24fps film. Anyone (Jackson) shooting a feature at 48fps may have requested that theaters show the feature with the projection light cranked up to produce a richer, brighter image.

Considering the lukewarm reaction to The Hobbit in HFR, I wonder if Cameron is still planning on shooting Avatar 2 at 60 fps?

Do you really think something like that would stop James Cameron?

Back