The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

I'm not sure it is necessarily brighter by default, but from what I understand, higher frame rates can be shown brighter (projector cranked up) without creating the flicker effect that would appear on a standard 24fps film. Anyone (Jackson) shooting a feature at 48fps may have requested that theaters show the feature with the projection light cranked up to produce a richer, brighter image.

Considering the lukewarm reaction to The Hobbit in HFR, I wonder if Cameron is still planning on shooting Avatar 2 at 60 fps?

This. Yep.

And yes, George Lucas...er...James Cameron is putting technology over plot again.

Watched some of the EE last night. I love it!

I was particularly excited to see the dwarf and Thranduil re-enacting this classic scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pQRfqrZRPk

:rotfl

I know I'm late to this discussion but I finally got see this, although I did thoroughly enjoy it, it looks very different to the LOTR. Some parts look like video game cut scenes. What happened?

48fps happened. The film is fine, storywise, acting wise, ect...(minus a few terrible scenes) but Jackson chose to put the important stuff over the visuals and effects, like George Lucas, which has me worried.

The film was shot in a different frame rate, which made everything look brighter, and everything moved faster. Hence why the effects look like video games, and everything doesn't feel real or natural.

Are theaters still showing this?

If not, then he saw it at home in good old 24 fps with 3/2 pulldown.

It looks like a video game because there is too much CGI, plain and simple.

So after watching EE again on High Def Blu-ray IMHO, Azog most certainly doesn't look like crap like some think.

I mostly agree. The big clusters of CGI in Goblin Town are the most distracting element for me, but I rather like Azog.

He saw it in 24. But it was 48 converted into 24. It has a different look then any other movie. Plus, not to mention the overly bright cinematography, it really makes it look unnatural, when it comes to film. Regardless if it was in the correct format or not.

I'm sure any brightness was an intentional decision and not simply a byproduct of 48fps which the film makers were forced to live with.

My only complaint was how overly saturated the gold is in this movie when compared to LOTR.

However, I started watching the commentary and they mention how this was intentional with gold being such a prominent theme of the story.

It is a byproduct of 48fps, it literally has to be brighter, mostly color wise. Because it eats the color, they said.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sqFkd-wHKs&list=PL06D56F197834BAD9[/ame]

I can't blame him. Making movies is ****ing stressful. Let alone THREE movies at once. Hope he loses it at the end of the shoot.

I know what happened to the Hobbit and why they haven't been as good as The Lord of The Rings films.

Peter Jackson doesn't have glasses any more! That explains the frames per minute and 3d.

I know what happened to the Hobbit and why they haven't been as good as The Lord of The Rings films.

Peter Jackson doesn't have glasses any more! That explains the frames per minute and 3d.
Funny how he's regressed over time. His masterpieces were obviously Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles.

And Dead Alive. I do consider that a masterpiece. He needs to go back to that.

Dead Alive is an awesome movie to see with a rowdy crowd if you ever get the chance. :)

I'm sure any brightness was an intentional decision and not simply a byproduct of 48fps which the film makers were forced to live with.

My only complaint was how overly saturated the gold is in this movie when compared to LOTR.

However, I started watching the commentary and they mention how this was intentional with gold being such a prominent theme of the story.

Well, I doubt many if any will have their TV's calibrated here to actually see what the director/industry standard intended.

https://www.tlvexp.ca/2011/12/why-tvs-are-not-calibrated-from-factory/

https://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Peoples tv's could be overly saturated, dull or too much contrast and you wouldn't even know it. As like most people, blame the films.

Because the film was shot in a crappy format. Converted or not, 48FPS looks terrible. It's visually not pleasing to most peoples eyes, as it is not normal.

And if you haven't calibrated your TV, then you're not interested in the visuals. So it wouldn't matter to them.

Ugh, bought the steelbook from Best Buy, could have sworn it said Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray + Digital. Finally got around to popping the disc in and it's only Blu ray 3d + Digital. Normally I'd just return it, but the non steelbook Blu 3D + Blu + digital is $60 now!

I threw out the paper slip that came with it... am I wrong, did it only say Blu-ray 3D? Really feeling I got burned on this.

Last edited:

Ugh, bought the steelbook from Best Buy, could have sworn it said Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray + Digital. Finally got around to popping the disc in and it's only Blu ray 3d + Digital. Normally I'd just return it, but the non steelbook Blu 3D + Blu + digital is $60 now!

I through out the paper slip that came with it... am I wrong, did it only say Blu-ray 3D? Really feeling I got burned on this.

You should be able to go on the Best Buy site and either check the number on the packaging itself or off the receipt. You can match it to see what's listed for it.

Finished watching disc one of the appendices. Some really great material. :rock

I kind of wished The Hobbit EE packaging mirrored the EE LOTR box set. So much went into LOTR EE packaging (design, artwork etc.) that I did not want to retire them with the EE Blu ray packaging, so I went and purchased the 2 disc LOTR EE blu-ray and switched out the DVD's. Something magical about opening up those green, red and blue boxsets this time of year and watching. Anyways I think I might hold off until 2016 for the Hobbit trilogy box set.

I do wish they had used the same style as well.

The DVD EE Hobbit looks nice. Wonder why the Blu-ray set could not have been equally nice

Back