The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

I just watched the entire LOTR on blu-ray over the past week and was thrilled to see that certain characters and scenes (that were already very good) were improved even further after having watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Every scene with Bilbo and Gollum, the various references to Bilbo's adventures, Gimli's animosity toward Legolas and elves, Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman, Bilbo declaring that he was "ready for one final adventure" after his iconic announcement regarding his *first* adventure in AUJ, all of it. It made a series of amazing films even more enriching and poignant.

I can't help but notice the contrast between it and The Phantom Menace, which made every single character that also existed in the OT slightly worse (save possibly Obi-Wan.) I can't *wait* to see how the entire six film Middle-Earth saga plays when all is said and done.

I just watched the entire LOTR on blu-ray over the past week and was thrilled to see that certain characters and scenes (that were already very good) were improved even further after having watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Every scene with Bilbo and Gollum, the various references to Bilbo's adventures, Gimli's animosity toward Legolas and elves, Galadriel, Elrond, and Saruman, Bilbo declaring that he was "ready for one final adventure" after his iconic announcement regarding his *first* adventure in AUJ, all of it. It made a series of amazing films even more enriching and poignant.

I can't help but notice the contrast between it and The Phantom Menace, which made every single character that also existed in the OT slightly worse (save possibly Obi-Wan.) I can't *wait* to see how the entire six film Middle-Earth saga plays when all is said and done.

My favorite bit of referencing is in the Fellowship when Gandalf mentions the Mithril vest and how Thorin gave it to Bilbo as a gift. That'll be a cool moment.

Also the fact that you can see Gandalf is clearly upset and saddened at the sight of Balin's tomb despite us, the audience, ever seeing Gandalf come into contact with Balin until recently two months ago.

Have you heard anything about a teaser for part II josh?

Nothing firm yet. There was an article I posted in the DoS thread that said we would see it in May, but that site has been known to be wrong with stuff.

My favorite bit of referencing is in the Fellowship when Gandalf mentions the Mithril vest and how Thorin gave it to Bilbo as a gift. That'll be a cool moment.

Also the fact that you can see Gandalf is clearly upset and saddened at the sight of Balin's tomb despite us, the audience, ever seeing Gandalf come into contact with Balin until recently two months ago.

Both of those will be even more impactful especially Balin's tomb which we see Ori holding the book dead next to the tomb. It adds more to when you read it as well.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Official Specs

Cover art is final. Special features available on both the 2D and 3D editions of the film include:

New Zealand: Home of Middle Earth
Video Blogs

Start of Production
Location Scouting
Shooting Block One
Filming in 3D
Locations Part 1
Locations Part 2
Stone St. Studios Tour
Wrap of Principal Photography
Post-production Overview
Wellington World Premiere
Theatrical Trailers

Dwarves
Letter Opener
Bilbo Contract
Gandalf Wagers
Gollum Paths
Game Trailers

The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-Earth
Guardians of Middle-Earth
Lego The Lord of the Rings

Standard DVD copy of An Unexpected Journey (2D)
UltraViolet digital copy An Unexpected Journey (2D) (expires 3/19/15)

Last edited:

I prefer the bluray cover to the 3D one. I like that one too, but I think it should have Bilbo on it, not Gandalf, since it's called The Hobbit.

I like both. If the digital copy only comes with the 3D ill get that one. I'm surprised they're not offering multiple covers like the empire magazine covers.

Odd choice of covers.

I'd have preferred that Bilbo leaving Bag End teaser as the main cover.

Very odd that Beorn is on a cover as he wasn't in the film.

Bizarre.

That was just a image that WB used. It won't be on the final.

Very odd that Beorn is on a cover as he wasn't in the film.

As Josh said that wasn't the final image but even if it was it wouldn't be much different than Helm's Deep Aragorn appearing on the official one sheet of Fellowship of the Ring. :lol

936full-the-lord-of-the-rings%3A-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-poster.jpg

Always wondered if anyone else noticed that. :lol

Well, I like the 2D art better. But can I watch the video blogs online? If so...that's a big factor in my purchase.

The Hobbit Blu-Ray Info from TORn

50E37553-44AA-4D6A-A9C4-7E14CB1AD067-4451-000001BC708F6558_zpsc29df368.jpg
B515256F-687C-45F3-A47D-5D7033A930E1-4451-000001BC70DBC462_zps9855da33.jpg

Burbank, CA, February 5, 2013 – From Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson comes “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), arriving on Digital Download on March 12th and on Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and 2-Disc DVD Special Edition on March 19th from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. All disc versions feature UltraVioletÔ and over 130 minutes of bonus content.The first of a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” which is nominated for three Academy Awards*, is an epic adventure that immerses audiences once again in the fantastical world of Middle-earth. The March 19th home entertainment release will be followed by an Extended Edition in time for the holidays.

In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film. Visit www.thehobbit.com/sneak for more information.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, with Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. Also reprising their roles from “The Lord of the Rings” in “The Hobbit” Trilogy are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Ian Holm as Old Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. The international ensemble cast also includes James Nesbitt, Ken Stott, Sylvester McCoy, Barry Humphries, Aidan Turner, Dean O’Gorman, Graham McTavish, Adam Brown, Peter Hambleton, John Callen, Mark Hadlow, Jed Brophy, William Kircher, Stephen Hunter, Lee Pace, Benedict Cumberbatch, Manu Bennett and Conan Stevens.
The screenplay for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson & Guillermo del Toro, based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien. Jackson also produced the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Present a WingNut Films Production, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” All three films in “The Hobbit” Trilogy, also including “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” and the final film, “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” are productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution being handled by MGM.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” was released on December 14, 2012, with the second film, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” releasing December 13, 2013, and the third film, “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” slated for July 18, 2014.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will be available on 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99, on 5-Disc Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95, and on 2-Disc DVD Special Edition for $28.98. The Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in hi-definition on Blu-ray, and the theatrical version in standard definition on DVD. The 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition on Blu-ray, the theatrical version of the film in 2D high definition on Blu-ray and the theatrical version in standard definition on DVD. The Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and the 2-Disc DVD Special Edition all include UltraViolet, which allows consumers to download and instantly stream the standard definition theatrical version of the film to a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players.*

SYNOPSIS
The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome Dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the Wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 Dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild, through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs, as well as a mysterious and sinister figure known only as the Necromancer.
Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the Goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum.

Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of ingenuity and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities…A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.
BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and DVD Special Edition contain the following special features:

Full Suite of Peter Jackson’s Production Videos. Enter Middle-earth of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as Academy Award-winning Director Peter Jackson takes you behind the scenes, on location and amidst the star-studded cast in a series of video journals that puts you in the forefront of latest in filmmaking with more than two hours of additional content. Highlights of the journals include:
Start of Production
Location Scouting
Filming in 3D
Post-production Overview
Wellington World Premiere

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS
On March 12th, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will be available for download from online retailers including iTunes, Xbox, PlayStation, Amazon, Vudu and CinemaNow.
The film will also available digitally in High Definition (HD) VOD and Standard Definition (SD) VOD from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

ULTRAVIOLET
*UltraViolet allows you to collect watch and share movies and TV shows in a whole new way. Available with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs, DVDs and Digital Downloads, UltraViolet lets you create a digital collection of movies and TV shows. Services such as Flixster and VUDU allow you to instantly stream and download UltraViolet content across a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players. Restrictions and limitations apply. Go to www.ultraviolet.flixster.com/info for details. Learn about VUDU compatible devices at www.vudu.com.
BASICS

PRODUCT SRP

Blu-ray Combo Pack $35.99
Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack $44.95
2-Disc Amaray Special Edition (WS) $28.98

EST Release Date: March 12th, 2013

Standard Street Date: March 19th, 2013

DVD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

BD Languages: English, Latin Spanish,

DVD Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

BD Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish

Running Time: 169 minutes

Rating: Rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images

DLBY/SURR DLBY/DGTL [CC]

Last edited:

In addition, Peter Jackson will host a live first look at “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” the second film in The Hobbit Trilogy, on Sunday, March 24th at 3:00PM Eastern/Noon Pacific. Content will be streamed live and an edited version will be archived on the Trilogy’s official website. Access to the live event will be limited to holders of an UltraViolet code available by purchasing “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack or 2-Disc Special Edition DVD. Select digital retailers will issue access codes upon purchase of the film. Visit www.thehobbit.com/sneak for more information.

:yess::yess:

"and so it begins"

I know where I'll be on the 24th of March :)

omg! whst the hell is ultra violet? Showing my age!

Its the digital download that allows you to watch these things on your mobiel devices.

Back