The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

You know what I bet, I bet Gandalf visits Dol Guldur to investigate what Radagast told him and finds Thrain is still alive and Gandalf tries to rescue him but fails due to Thrain's being crazy from his long imprisonment and grief from Thror's death...I originally thought this trailer scene was a flashback...I guess not(I could still be wrong but I dont think so otherwise it would have been shown in Hobbit 1)...The Key and map scene given by Thrain to Gandalf might never be shown I believe...I bet I'm right...maybe:dunno..............In the book 100 years before the Hobbit Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur to investigate the Necromancer to see if he's Sauron (The sole reason the Wizard's came to ME from the West and is their prime objective to help stop him)....While looking in the deepest parts in the dungeons finds Thrain and tries to help him Escape...Thrain somehow hid the map and Key from the Necromancer and gives it to Gandalf...plus Gandalf finds out that the Necromancer took The last Dwarven Ring of Power from Thrain too and thus finds out he's Sauron...On their way out Thrain gets killed and Gandalf barely makes it out alive...Gandalf then looks for the hard to find Thorin and advises Saruman that Sauron is in Dol Guldur and that they(the 5 wizards) should attack Dol Guldur...but Saruman says no...He doesnt say yes till 100 years later during the Hobbit because He knows finally that Sauron is there because he knows that it is close to where Isildur lost the ring in the River... Saruman wants the ring for himself and then decides to attack Dol Guldor to chase Sauron Away from the ring...

Last edited:

I saw this in regular 2D Yesterday i absolutely loved it.

You know what I bet Gandalf visits Dol Guldur to investigate what Radagast told him and finds Thrain is still alive and Gandalf tries to rescue him but fails due to Thrain's being crazy from his long imprisonment and grief from Thror's death...I originally thought this trailer scene was a flashback...I guess not(I could still be wrong but I dont think so otherwise it would have been shown in Hobbit 1)...The Key and map scene given by Thrain to Gandalf might never be shown I believe...I bet I'm right...maybe:dunno..............In the book 100 years before the Hobbit Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur to investigate the Necromancer to see if he's Sauron (The sole reason the Wizard's came to ME from the West and is their prime objective to help stop him)....While looking in the deepest parts in the dungeons finds Thrain and tries to help him Escape...Thrain somehow hid the map and Key from the Necromancer and gives it to Gandalf...plus Gandalf finds out that the Necromancer took The last Dwarven Ring of Power from Thrain too and thus finds out he's Sauron...On their way out Thrain gets killed and Gandalf barely makes it out alive...Gandalf then looks for the hard to find Thorin and advises Saruman that Sauron is in Dol Guldur and that they(the 5 wizards) should Attack...but Saruman says no...He doesnt say yes till the Hobbit because He knows finally that Sauron is there because he knows that it is close to where Isildur lost the ring in the River... Saruman wants the ring for himself and then decides to attack Dol Guldor to chase Sauron Away from the ring...

I was slightly disapointed by this myself. Here's hoping a flash back scene in the next film shows how Gandalf obtains the key and went to Dol Goldur before Rhadagast. Maybe when Gandalf went he didn't find the evidence he seekes but Rhadagast was able to recover the proof he seeked.

I was slightly disapointed by this myself. Here's hoping a flash back scene in the next film shows how Gandalf obtains the key and went to Dol Goldur before Rhadagast. Maybe when Gandalf went he didn't find the evidence he seekes but Rhadagast was able to recover the proof he seeked.

I agree but my gut tells me it's not a flashback but modern post Radagast visit to Dol Guldur...just a feeling it is...I have been thinking about this ever since Sat when I saw the film and realized that scene was taken out...(maybe it's in the Extended Edition DVD)...who knows..I would prefer it if it was like the book myself...But the film is still great and even the changes were done so extremely well

Last edited:

I agree but my gut tells me it's not a flashback but modern post Radagast visit to Dol Guldur...just a feeling it is...I have been thinking about this ever since Sat when I saw the film and realized that scene was taken out...(maybe it's in the Extended Edition DVD)...who knows..I would prefer it if it was like the book myself...But the film is still great and even the changes were done so extremely well

Well the trailer that showed that scene was releaded when the Hobbit was still supposed to be a 2 film affair. It may very well have now found itself in Part 2 Tge Desolation of Smaug

It's hard to say, but I wonder if
Spoiler Spoiler:
is the one he fights there, as that would make the action figure 2-pack make sense.

It's hard to say, but I wonder if
Spoiler Spoiler:
is the one he fights there, as that would make the action figure 2-pack make sense.

I'm gonna say that's a big no...I'm pretty sure it was worn out crazy Thrain...not 100% on that but 99% pretty sure...I still could be wrong but it looked like a Dwarf fighting Gandalf

Last edited:

I'm gonna say that's a big no...I pretty sure it was worn out crazy Thrain...not 100% on that but still pretty sure...I still could be wrong

From what I understand that was Thrain he had a battle with.

Most of the banter beyond the dwarfs in the shire could have been cut out. etc.

It needed to speed up to Thorin's arrival. It took to long.

They already rushed it with the last large group that arrives.

Perhaps that scene will be part of the EE edition of part 1.

If it is in the EE then it's a flashback...If it's in the second film then my money will be on that the scene is set present day in Hobbit...I could still see it being a flashback too but then why wasnt it in the first film?...unless PJ waited for another time for Gandalf to tell Thorin of what happened to his father...But another give away(At least I thought it was) is that when Radagast was talking to Gandalf about Dol Guldur Gandalf seemed kinda surprised although nervous and worried...So I think it's set the same time as Hobbit not earlier...just my 3 cents...Either way...The more Middle Earth the better...:goodpost::exactly:

I loves the dwarves arrival. It's all the **** afterwords that can be slimmed down.

..I thought the beginning hour was next to perfect

Last edited:

I loves the dwarves arrival. It's all the **** afterwords that can be slimmed down.

I dunno, I love all the stuff at Bag End. Really gives you a feel for the Dwarves, and young Bilbo's character.

Back