The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Peter Jackson has just joined George Lucas in my opinion that each is the main villain of his own franchise.
:)

But isn't that the opposite of how GL would think? It sounds to me that PJ doesn't want to change the original release which would be a good thing.

I respect if Mr. Jackson prefers the TC over the EE, but i'm sure as hell happy and grateful that he created the EE. :bow

I know what I'll be doing on Christmas Eve 2012 at midnight!

That is....if the world doesn't end on the 23rd. :(

Edit: Saw the trailer before TinTin and this is coming out Dec. 14th?

At least I'll get to see the first half before the end comes! Woot! :lol

December 14th? :yess:

Great! I can see the movie and get drunk on the day the earth goes ka-BOOM! :rock

The theatrical versions were fine in their own right, but the Extended Editions are the definitive versions for fans of the book.

PJ actually alluded to this way back when FOTR was released on DVD. I'm paraphrasing, but during the intro of the EE spotlight on the FOTR DVD, he mentions the fact that he hated the term "Director's Cut" which implied that the version that made it to the theater wasn't the director's preferred cut, which was. That's why the Extended Editions are called "Extended Editions", and not "Director's Cut".

It's not, cos the extendeds are awesome! :hi5:

QTF

Although they did it in the opposite directions...GL adding stuff the fans did not want and PJ not wanting to add stuff the fans did want. The effect is the same...they are not on the same page as the fans.

Now, before I get flamed for real. I AM joking...about PJ (as most of you seem to have already noticed), as he understood the desire of the fans and hooked us up despite the fact that he disagreed. Kudos to him in reality.

As for my opinion about the length of the movies..."impact" be damned...they are still not long enough for me.:)

I respect if Mr. Jackson prefers the TC over the EE, but i'm sure as hell happy and grateful that he created the EE. :bow

:goodpost:

There is only one addition to an EE that I don't like. The scene in ROTK when the millions of sculls come dumping out in the Paths of the Dead. Unbearably stupid, and easily the worst moment in the whole trilogy. Shockingly bad. With that one exception, I think all the additions make the films better, at least for fans of the book. I mean, the Theatrical Edition of ROTK misses two of the greatest moments from the books, namely The Mouth of Sauron and The Houses of Healing. I can't tell you how thrilled I was that they were included in the EE. Despite the atrocious scull scene, the EE of ROTK is my favorite of the trilogy.

The Two Towers Theatrical Edition is unwatchable for me. The treatment of Faramir made me physically sick the first time I saw it. I'm not joking or exaggerating (I didn't throw up or anything, but I did have a pit in my stomach). The additional footage in the EE made the changes to his character much easier to stomach. I quite like TTT EE now, including the invented scenes in Osgiliath.

Of the three, the only TE that is nearly as good as the EE is Fellowship. I'll never forget the awe I felt seeing that in the theater for the first time.

There is only one addition to the EE that I don't like. THe scene in ROTK when the millions of sculls come dumping out in the paths of the dead. Unbearably stupid, and easily the worst moment in the whole trilogy. Shockingly bad.

Amen... That scene, for me, is the Jedi Rocks of LOTR. :monkey4

There is only one addition to an EE that I don't like. The scene in ROTK when the millions of sculls come dumping out in the Paths of the Dead. Unbearably stupid, and easily the worst moment in the whole trilogy. Shockingly bad. With that one exception, I think all the additions make the films better, at least for fans of the book. I mean, the Theatrical Edition of ROTK misses two of the greatest moments from the books, namely The Mouth of Sauron and The Houses of Healing. I can't tell you how thrilled I was that they were included in the EE. Despite the atrocious scull scene, the EE of ROTK is my favorite of the trilogy.

The Two Towers Theatrical Edition is unwatchable for me. The treatment of Faramir made me physically sick the first time I saw it. I'm not joking or exaggerating (I didn't throw up or anything, but I did have a pit in my stomach). The additional footage in the EE made the changes to his character much easier to stomach. I quite like TTT EE now, including the invented scenes in Osgiliath.

Of the three, the only TE that is nearly as good as the EE is Fellowship. I'll never forget the awe I felt seeing that in the theater for the first time.

Nail on head :rock

The skills in ROTK don't bother me but Frodo sending Sam away does. Thats probably my biggest complaint of the entire trilogy because that just would never have happened.

I get why Faramir was changed for the TE and less so in the EE. You've already had numerous people turn down the ring which is supposed to basically corrupt everyone. At somepoint the regular audience who probably has never read the books could lose the ability to believe the ring has that much power. Now, that doesn't mean I like the change but I understand why it was done.

I understand why they had Sam turn Frodo away. I will never understand why they had Aragorn surf on a wave of skulls. :cuckoo:

I thought the worst part of the ROTK EE was showing the ghosts coming out of the hill to attack the ships. Totally obliterated the awesome tension of when the ships show up at Minas Tirith and the ghosts turn the tide.

It *really* should have ended at "What say you!" as it did in the theatrical version.

Gandalf similarly (but not as badly) spoils the great moment of the Ents deciding to attack Isengard by announcing their involvement in the TT EE. Extra scenes are great for character development but spoiling some of the most dramatic scenes in the movie ahead of time can be real deal breakers.

I still contend that the best version of all of the films is the Theatrical edit of FELLOWSHIP. And I'm glad to see that THE HOBBIT apparently has the same tone.

I still contend that the best version of all of the films is the Theatrical edit of FELLOWSHIP.

Agreed. My personal favorite is ROTK just because it has certain elements I love (the battle at Pellenor Fields, Shelob, and Frodo and Sam in Mordor) but TE FOTR is the most polished of all the various editions. A gem of gems.

Agreed. My personal favorite is ROTK just because it has certain elements I love (the battle at Pellenor Fields, Shelob, and Frodo and Sam in Mordor) but TE FOTR is the most polished of all the various editions. A gem of gems.

Yeah, I agree. IMHO, that Oscar should belong to FOTR. It also has a great tone (particularly in the first Act) and is perfectly paced and edited. Unfortunately, all of that goes out the window with the EE. :( I can understand why fans of the book prefer the EE (more content), but on a technical level the Theatrical version of FOTR is just a much better film.

TWO TOWERS, on the other hand, is really improved with the EE.

My personal favorites:

1. FOTR (Theatrical)
2. ROTK (Theatrical)
3. TTT (EE)
4. ROTK (EE)
5. FOTR (EE)
6. TTT (Theatrical)

I thought the worst part of the ROTK EE was showing the ghosts coming out of the hill to attack the ships. Totally obliterated the awesome tension of when the ships show up at Minas Tirith and the ghosts turn the tide.

It *really* should have ended at "What say you!" as it did in the theatrical version.

Gandalf similarly (but not as badly) spoils the great moment of the Ents deciding to attack Isengard by announcing their involvement in the TT EE. Extra scenes are great for character development but spoiling some of the most dramatic scenes in the movie ahead of time can be real deal breakers.

This is a good point. And it's probably why PJ prefers the Theatrical versions.

For fans of the book though, we already know that the oath-breakers and the Ents come through, so there never was any real tension there.

A few more words about the Paths of the Dead. Although the scull surfing scene is the worst part, I've always disliked the whole sequence. The book is so much more effective. There should be no debate between Aragorn and the oath-breakers. The only "tension" should come from the terror of the dead following. And we should feel them more than see them. The movie honestly turned the whole thing into a joke IMO.

They also don't belong at the actual battle. All they do in the book is take over the ships. Having them "turn the tide" at Minas Tirith has always felt like Deus ex machina to me.

The only Extended scene I don't like is Gandalf facing the Witch-king. I really was looking forward to seeing it play out like it did in the book, and then when I saw Gandalf's staff broken and being taken out so easy, I was wishing it was left on the cutting room floor. I fast forward that part now.

The only Extended scene I don't like is Gandalf facing the Witch-king. I really was looking forward to seeing it play out like it did in the book, and then when I saw Gandalf's staff broken and being taken out so easy, I was wishing it was left on the cutting room floor. I fast forward that part now.

Yeah, but if it played out the other way we wouldn't have gotten such a kewl "Girl Power!" scene. :monkey1

Back