The Matrix 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's reminding me of TFA: a retread of the original with modern effects. Still interested to see where Lana takes it.

Actually while the scenarios are more like the first film, the trailer is similar to the Reloaded one, which is still my all-time favourite. So maybe it's Matrix 1 with Matrix 2 money.

Those 1999 trailers sucked ass. :lol

One thing I like, the lack of green and the use of blue instead, like on the original poster. I much prefer the blue and grey over the green.

RoRTFS3.jpg
ivY8p0i.jpg
MZMVt7K.jpg
0uSGaNz.jpg

Things got very green and sterile with the sequels.

bzC05rz.jpg
CYTdMXW.jpg
9I294tp.jpg

Last edited:
The casting of Keanu was one of the big reasons I had no interest in seeing The Matrix in 1999. Looked silly and was flouting the SFX "bullet time" seen widely in those GAP commercials of the time (supposedly stolen from Wachowskis but didn't know that at the time).

Went to see it anyway... and was truly blown away by how good it was. Instantly became one of my favorite movies of all time.

Same thing happened to me with Die Hard. Not a Willis fan before that, and the trailer looked a bit silly with him jumping around, laughing manically. Just seemed like a cheap Commando rip-off inside a building. It instantly became a Top 10 favorite of mine... and my fav movie of 1988.
I loved the world, so cleverly thought out, but how ultra-violent (at times laughably so) it was took me out of it to some degree - just didn't seem necessary based on the type of movie it was and even its message.

Matrix was stupidly associated with Columbine but it did appear at the dawn of the very violent era of school shootings and mass shootings we are still in. It also saw the future in terms of "alternate truths" (in the real world called conspiracy theory) and paranoia-as-empowerment. A black man opening a white man's eyes (Will Smith was right that reversing the master/pupil races would have messed up the message) - literally getting woke you might say - to hidden enslavement masquerading as pleasant normality saw the future of BLM. Look at the visual motif of race used in the two revolution-based sequels. And a normality reinforced by officers who are the same white guy replicated emanating from the enslavement system. Even the fact both sibling filmmakers turned out to be trans (what were the chances?) was also pretty prescient - and incredibly strange, even for an industry that idolizes strange.

Once again, gonna have to disagree.

The beauty of that marketing campaign was that this movie just came out of nowhere, and they didn't give away too much. It was intriguing as all hell, and showed some awesome action with almost no context.

Like Tarantino said about it recently, it was so exciting to be at this big giant blockbuster on opening weekend, knowing almost NOTHING about it beforehand. It was almost 2 months before Phantom Menace was due to hit theaters. And maaaaan did it blow TPM outta the water!

I still have the original theatrical lobby one-sheet somewhere. Not double sided, sadly.

Also.....I love the green. The green was awesome. The green let you know something was wrong...something was sickly. The green tint IS The Matrix....it's essential!!

Mentioning Wild Wild West, does anyone remember the limited edition western Whopper promotion at Burger King? That was a tasty bastard :drool.
Oh damn! No.....what did it taste like? I love tasty bastards....lol

So, the 4k version of The Matrix (1) fixed the overly green parts of the movie? I know one edition was restoring the film to what we saw in the theaters in '99?

Matrix ... saw the future in terms of "alternate truths" (in the real world called conspiracy theory) and paranoia-as-empowerment. A black man opening a white man's eyes (Will Smith was right that reversing the master/pupil races would have messed up the message) - literally getting woke you might say - to hidden enslavement masquerading as pleasant normality saw the future of BLM. Look at the visual motif of race used in the two revolution-based sequels. And a normality reinforced by officers who are the same white guy replicated emanating from the enslavement system. Even the fact both sibling filmmakers turned out to be trans (what were the chances?) was also pretty prescient - and incredibly strange, even for an industry that idolizes strange.

Nail on the head.

It was very ahead of its time, even ahead of the filmmakers. A portent of things to come...

Once again, gonna have to disagree.

The beauty of that marketing campaign was that this movie just came out of nowhere, and they didn't give away too much. It was intriguing as all hell, and
I agree, but it could have been better executed.
showed some awesome action with almost no context.
Yes, it's messy and dated.

Take a look a proper well executed teaser that also gives nothing away. It still effective and cool looking.

Like Tarantino said about it recently, it was so exciting to be at this big giant blockbuster on opening weekend, knowing almost NOTHING about it beforehand.
I agree 100%.
Also.....I love the green. The green was awesome. The green let you know something was wrong...something was sickly. The green tint IS The Matrix....it's essential!!

I'm talking about the sequel posters and marketing, not the look of the films themselves.

It's one thing I HATE about the Hot Toys Neo. The box uses the sequel's marketing instead of the 1999 blue/purple/grey colors.

One thing I like, the lack of green and the use of blue instead, like on the original poster. I much prefer the blue and grey over the green.

The green color was very appropriate for the Matrix, it's green because of the old green screen monochrome monitors from the 70's & 80's, and a bit into the 90's. It symbolizes computers for people who grew up with those computer monitors and reinforces the computer simulation them of the movie. It's also another theme stolen from Ghost in the Shell's opening credits.

The green color was very appropriate for the Matrix, it's green because of the old green screen monochrome monitors from the 70's & 80's, and a bit into the 90's. It symbolizes computers for people who grew up with those computer monitors and reinforces the computer simulation them of the movie.
I get all that. I'm just not a fan of green.
It's also another theme stolen from Ghost in the Shell's opening credits.
A good reason not to use it then. :lol

I didn't know if you were too young to get the reference.
I do prefer the look of the first Matrix posters.
Well, I didn't know it at the time. I just thought it was a cool visual. I didn't grow up with computers. I didn't own a computer until 2006 maybe? And when I finally got one, it was used and old, not a flat screen one. Anyway, I just think the marketing went too heavy with the green.

Back