Media The Last of Us Part II

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Last of Us Part II (Confirmed, trailer posted)

Wait a minute, Neca did Nathan Drake, so they won't licence TLOU? Or is it that Neca just hasn't done them because Randy?

Wait so we can't get last of us toys cause nd won't license them?

It is if the work of "art" suffers for it, but I agree with the sentiment.

Hell I wouldn't even mind if it was a female power fantasy, we have countless male power fantasies, hell, pop-culture is built on them, but can't they at least be good? With REAL characters? For the fun of it without trying to be preachy? That's all I ask. Of course it doesn't apply to this game yet, since we don't know.

Not so for me, I find myself putting threads like the TPP thread in the zapping zone more often than not.

A game can't suffer because there's a female character--it can be bad if there's bad writing and story, but not just because it's a woman. Has there ever been something where people have thought that the game would be better if the male character were female? Don't think so, so why would you think the opposite?
Also, if a game that's focused on a woman turns out bad, is that wrong? There's plenty of terrible movies and games with male characters, having some terrible games with female characters just makes it more even.

There's the problem, you think feminist """character""" = female character, nobody is complaining about female characters, you have no clue what you're even trying to debate about.

3Zero please! :lol

84.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's the problem, you think feminist """character""" = female character, nobody is complaining about female characters, you have no clue what you're even trying to debate about.

You brought up the topic as if the game needs your approval of whether or not the female character is a social justice warrior crusade

No, I didn't bring up the topic, Pturtle did, but you did chime in without having a clue on what you're talking about, you're not even using the term SJW correctly.

And I'm not pretending the game needs my approval or anything, what are you talking about? :lol

Last edited:

Yea, I think Darthviper should be directing these comments at me :lol

Gasper is actually a lot more forgiving than I am on the topic of female characters and how they're represented in entertainment.

When they're done right I can enjoy a female protagonist, but most of the time, they just suck.

Yea, I think Darthviper should be directing these comments at me :lol

Gasper is actually a lot more forgiving than I am on the topic of female characters and how they're represented in entertainment.

When they're done right I can enjoy a female protagonist, but most of the time, they just suck.

No one sets out with the intent of writing a sucky protagonist; the suggestion that they should all be male unless they can be "done right" is simply a recipe for very few female protagonists. There's a billion games with piss-poor male protagonists already. I think the world can afford to make more attempts otherwise.

One kinda sets out with intend of writting a sucky character when you already intend to preach with it a the expense of characterization.

And nobody is saying they should be male unless... They should be what the story requires, period.

what is it with the apologetic false dichotomies when it comes to "social justice"? :lol

I think Im actually less tolerant of PC crap than you P. But we differ on what qualifies as PC sometimes.

For instance I think Tess is a fantastic example of a strong female character, and I believe your think shes a feminist trope right?

Last edited:

Naughty Dog has had nothing but home runs for me, so I'm super pumped for this!

Also, as far as ND not licensing TLoU characters for figures, it's most likely they're just sticking with PlayStation's production of statues from now on. PlayStation's been doing a lot of their own in-house statue production for the past couple of years now. We may get a Joel and Ellie statue go up on the PlayStation gear website at some point.

No one sets out with the intent of writing a sucky protagonist; the suggestion that they should all be male unless they can be "done right" is simply a recipe for very few female protagonists. There's a billion games with piss-poor male protagonists already. I think the world can afford to make more attempts otherwise.

I’m a lot less forgiving when it comes to a sucky male protagonist because theres usually no social agenda attached to a male character a majority of time, female leads tend to suffer from said agenda. Does it make the sucky female protagonist more sucky than the male protagonist? No, just more annoying. I never said all leads should be male unless done right, I’m just saying theres rarely a not so hidden agenda, and a lot of times a creator can do almost whatever with a male character and not suffer backlash.

One kinda sets out with intend of writting a sucky character when you already intend to preach with it a the expense of characterization.

And nobody is saying they should be male unless... They should be what the story requires, period.

what is it with the apologetic false dichotomies when it comes to "social justice"? :lol

I think Im actually less tolerant of PC crap than you P. But we differ on what qualifies as PC sometimes.

For instance I think Tess is a fantastic example of a strong female character, and I believe your think shes a feminist trope right?

Oh yea, I hated her character. She was the worst character in the game in my opinion.

Nice. Loved the first one. Just hope they don't go Resident Evil and feel the urge to top an allready perfect formula with the Horror elements.

I’m a lot less forgiving when it comes to a sucky male protagonist because theres usually no social agenda attached to a male character a majority of time, female leads tend to suffer from said agenda. Does it make the sucky female protagonist more sucky than the male protagonist? No, just more annoying. I never said all leads should be male unless done right, I’m just saying theres rarely a not so hidden agenda, and a lot of times a creator can do almost whatever with a male character and not suffer backlash.
I would argue that any instance of bucking a sexist or racial trend will be perceived - rightfully or not - as a "social agenda" up until the point where it becomes so commonplace as to no longer be considered as bucking the trend. And that, ultimately, is the only thing that can eliminate the social agenda with which you take issue.

The very fact that anyone's even having this conversation shows just how far the game industry, film industry and we as a society have yet to go.

No, I didn't bring up the topic, Pturtle did, but you did chime in without having a clue on what you're talking about, you're not even using the term SJW correctly.

And I'm not pretending the game needs my approval or anything, what are you talking about? :lol

XQ7zHCj.jpg

This is why the VG threads here get such bad rep.

If one is thinking about a "feminist agenda" while playing a god damn work of mfing fiction, man, does one need to get their **** straight.

Back