The Dark Knight III: The Master Race

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually excited about this despite the overwhelming pile of evidence from Frank's output for the last 15 years that this will be utterly terrible.

I can't believe the first issue is already supposed to come out on November 25th! I thought it would be a year at least until we saw it. But knowing FM....it could very well be several years or NEVER before we get the final issue!

(Sandman Overture still hasn't finished either....ridiculous.)

Anyway....I've never been a fan of variant covers and have never bothered pursuing them, but damn it, I'm such a sucker for Frank's stuff, especially Dark Knight. Just saw that the FM variant cover will be in a 1:100 ratio. Ugh. I wonder how much they'll go for. I want them all.

Can anyone that collects variant covers tell me how difficult/expensive that's gonna be?

Frank has to get some of that socio-political crap out of his system.
And $$$, of course.

40 covers?
Pfff. Marvel's new Star Wars had 95 variant covers.

(seriously though, it's crap like this that made me take an extended break from collecting comics in the 90's. I might take another.)

It's the crap stories nowadays that are making me think of taking an extended break from collecting comics.

I feel sorry for the comic shops that have to buy all these variant covers. It seems like Midtown Comics is always putting them on sale, so I hope they aren't losing too much money.

DKIII variant cover by Miller:

1444593967771.jpg

Three-page preview of The Atom mini-comic from DKIII issue one, pencilled by Miller and inked by Klaus Jansson.

DK-III-Mini-Comic-3-bf6db.jpg

DK-III-Mini-Comic-4-47c0e.jpg

DK-III-Mini-Comic-5-ff019.jpg

Frank's back :yess:

At least the artwork isn't the same sort of sadistic assault on the eyeballs that TDKSA was. Miller's Wonder Wo-Manface might even look a little less like Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler if a less garish colour scheme is used this time.

That Batman cover is off

Probably because Frank inked it himself.

He's a fantastic penciller, has perhaps the best understanding and command of layout, panelling, etc to tell a story of any Western artist, writes great rhythmic dialogue - but absolutely sucks at inking, and has in fact got worse and worse at it over the years. He should really always be teamed with someone like Jansson to finish his pages off.

I actually don't mind the Batman cover. It beats the hell out of the Superman on the cover of the Atom mini-comic, but that Atom artwork; I'm impressed. I almost didn't believe it was Frank until that top right panel on the third page. I may actually have to get this if Frank doesn't go all crazytown frolics on us.:lol

Probably because Frank inked it himself.

He's a fantastic penciller, has perhaps the best understanding and command of layout, panelling, etc to tell a story of any Western artist, writes great rhythmic dialogue - but absolutely sucks at inking, and has in fact got worse and worse at it over the years. He should really always be teamed with someone like Jansson to finish his pages off.

Why didn't Klaus do it..he always is his inker..anybody notice to color fix on the right arm? :lol

I actually don't mind the Batman cover. It beats the hell out of the Superman on the cover of the Atom mini-comic, but that Atom artwork; I'm impressed. I almost didn't believe it was Frank until that top right panel on the third page. I may actually have to get this if Frank doesn't go all crazytown frolics on us.:lol

Yeah, no idea what was up with that Superman cover. Maybe the grotesqueness was intentional somehow (body is ageing, but powers keep him muscular and bulky?), but honestly it looked awful. Maybe it was old art.

I read an interview recently where Frank said he'd been drawing every day and trying to improve, because he wants to do a new Sin City story set in WWII but he's adamant he's a) going to draw it himself, and b) that it'll match the style and quality of the previous instalments.

Loved the Interior art, myself. Will be reading this series, and yes, Hated DKII.....so happy its not the same Sin City style.....

I really wish they'd gone with a different colouring style/colourist. Maybe stuck to the watercolour look from DRK. Other than that, pretty good so far.

Back