The Chopping Block: who is on the way out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it takes dedication to build up a warehouse collection, but it takes more dedication to turn it into an actual collection.

the key is stop buying on impulse. if it's a new release or preorder, wait for a month or 2 then ask yourself again if you really want it. if space is an issue, you might have to filter out big items like statues or 1/4 figures, if you keep the boxes, the size of the boxes may need to come into consideration.

i have yet made any order for 1/6 or bigger stuffs. i have the cartoon turtles on order and now i've switched to Hot Toys which is smaller & cheaper and i buy them really selectively, at the mean time letting go the bigger stuffs, 1 by 1 slowly since economy is bad unlike a decade ago.

Impulse buying isn't something I do anymore. I reduced to a select few licenses a few years ago and have stuck to that very well. But the legacy of 25 years of non-stop collecting is what I'm looking at - other people take breaks from it. I've never done that. Even over the last 5 or 6 years where I majorly cut back I've still been keeping it going and most of the stuff I've ever bought I still have. The only sales I've done were the ones giving me my itrader feedback here, those were my 'getting out of a particular license' sales - strategic sales to determine what I would no longer be buying in the future.

Sigh, my issues are not that bad .....yet.

I still have room for 2 more Detolfs, but that maxes me out.

It will be a 16 foot wall lined with detolfs.

But , my guess is my DC watchmen will be the first to go. Shame because they look pretty good in the poses I have them in.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Sauron PF...I like my big baddies but I've also got too much stuff coming.

Wellllllll... I became what I thought I'd never be, a serial collector. I always bought my pieces with the intention of always having them. Problems happen, though - money, living situations and space. But number one for me is also ISOLATION. Hot Toys pieces are like works of art, miniature versions of characters of supremely high quality, but the moment you start having a bunch of them together, sharing shelves, blocking full view of another, they become less interesting, not as unique - not as special.

I also don't like having multiple versions of the same character, and especially combined with quality improving through next iterations or on seperate figures entirely, I always ended up looking at figures I had bought which I didn't entirely 100 percent want and they hit the axe in favour of the bigger and better.

I've sold some pieces I was 100 percent adamant I'd always keep. Esecially my first two ever ones, which are now gone.

So in total - and some real grail pieces here, these have been axed so far:

The Crow
Iron Man Mark 42 Die Cast
Iron Man Mark 43 Die Cast
AoU Captain America
Thor Dark World
The Wolverine
Amazing Spiderman
Amazing Spiderman 2
Wonder Woman
Batman Vs Superman Batman x2
Batman Vs Superman Superman
Armoured Batman
Haryley Quinn
Purple Coat Joker
Tuxedo Joker
Suicide Squad Batman
Iron Man Mark 43 1/4
Batman Dark Knight Rises
Iron Man Mark 6 Die Cast
Justice League Aquaman
John Wick

And about to hit the block:

Justice League Wonder Woman x2
Potentially Jack Sparrow DX15

Which leaves me with
1/4 Joker
1/4 Darth Vader
Justice League Batman
Arkham Asylum Joker SS
Sith Anakin

For some reason I just can't bring myself to sell Suicide Squad Arkham Asylum Joker. Holds a special place in my heart of me getting it in a very lovely time in my life and getting completely caught up in the hype for Suicide Squad and other memories, on top of that it's still one of Hot Toys best portraits - when the light hits his eyes his whole face looks uncanny.

I also chose to sell some so I could get a really good Vinyl player to keep for a lifetime.

Got a couple on pre-order - Battle Damaged Ironman and non-battle damaged, Thor, Cap, Pennywise and Hellboy. Not sure how long they'll stay in the collection if I get them. Really trying my best to have as few as possible because they look bloody dope on a shelf each.

Hard to believe I've gone through that many! Bloody expensive hobby, but worth it. Surprised I've moved through so many!

EDIT: Just took my Jack Sparrow out and....... not a chance I'm selling now. It's an absolute masterpiece!
... Th eonly downside is Hot Toys make so many darned masterpieces!!!

I never thought I would ever sell off any of my figures, but I've been doing that for the past 3 years or so. The vast majority have been Sideshow figures. The big change happened when HT got into Star Wars. Once HT started making SW figures, the Sideshow versions didn't cut it anymore. I also paired down the amount in general. I got rid of my Indy villains, Toht and Belloq, and I got rid of my Sideshow Lukes and Anakin and didn't replace them with HT versions. I upgraded Fett and Vader, and I have kept my old SS Han Solos even though I have HT's, but I may part ways with them eventually.

Currently on the chopping block: my SS R2 but he hasn't sold yet.

Under consideration for the chopping block but unsure if I want to take the leap: Iron Man Mk 2 (original deluxe release) and Go Hero Buck Rogers. I could say goodbye to my SS ROTS Obi Wan, but it's a decent figure and since you really only get like $30 for him, I don't think it's worth the effort.

I still have around 30 figures which I don't know if it sounds like a lot or not, but I think it's a *little* too many for me. I only have a few last figures I want to have in my collection, so my time buying figures is coming to an end. I mentioned this in another thread, but because of HT delays, this is the first year since I started collecting in 2008 that I will not have bought a single figure. I'm kinda happy about that!

Ebbs and flows with me. Finding lately, not many figures are enticing anymore. Big time Hot Toys, due to the prices and change or priorities. Right now, don?t think I?d ax anything. Maybe the original HT Dr Strange, since he's my only Marvel figure, and if pushed by the Ms, maybe one of my Anakin?s.

I?m pretty strict with what Licences and lines I collect now. Even restricted what I have within those guidelines ie, 1/6 scale Star Wars is Force users only, everything else is Black Series or Vintage Collection with a couple Movie Realization figs. Even then, have guidelines I follow

Since I got into figure collecting, I?ve easily sold 50 1/6 scale figures. About 150 Neca/Black Series/Marvel Legends and lord knows how many 3.75 Gi Joes. Used most of that to finance new purchases, which made it easier to do, for me anyhow.

right now i just buy Hot Wheels selectively. they really saves up lots of space to be honest and it kinda feels the void so you make big purchases more carefully!

Ive been selling off little odds and ends that have been cluttering display and taking up storage space. Doesn't usually make a ton of $ but makes some funds to put towards projects.

I have 4 HT figures not on display that I'm really on the fence about letting go. They mean a lot so I'm not sure if I'm in the place yet.

I love my collection. Because it’s lean I don’t plan on selling them as I know I will regret. I do feel now though that’s it’s time to leave 1/6 collection. There have been many I have been interested in but no longer wanting to spend the high cost to own it!! Even NECA I have noticed a decline in purchasing. It’s funny lately I feel like going back to my roots.... 3 3/4 inch STAR WARS vintage collection.... when there at reduced prices

I’ve considered selling a lot of my Marvel figures. Mainly for space and just some characters I don’t really want/need. I also would put my Man of Steel collection for sale pretty easily (have all three figures). The BVS Batman I’m not overly attached to either. There are a fair number when I think about it, but I’ve never dealt with selling items before.

Next up for sale proably my DC Direct Watchmen.....

Maybe Ill keep Rorsharch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep on looking at the large set of 3A figures I have. While I love 'em they take up space - what's really preventing the sale is those things are totally devalued. A few might bring in close to what I paid but most are going to be well under the retail price.

My DC Bombshells and my remaining Star Wars figures. I don't have a lot of space and I've changed the focus of my collection. They simply don't fit - literally and figuratively.

process of getting rid of my figuarts dbz & others, most of amazing yamaguchis, and certain figmas. downsizing to just certain particular figures. not out yet, but it's in motion for sure

A ****-tonne of old Star Wars toys, McFarlane figures and the same few Hot Toys items I've been meaning to sell for the past 8 years.

Need to unload some more Pops right now.

I'd like to get rid of my Funko Game of Thrones legacy figs.

My NECA Team Fortress 2 figs are some I'd like to move as well.

Probably going to offload my 3Z Ned Stark when I get around to listing him.

BUMP! My MOTU Origins and Masters WWE Universe figures from Mattel are on the way out. They have been a blast to collect but realistically I don't have any place to display them and won't have any available space available in the foreseeable future.

Back