Boxes!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not try to sell them on rbay. Some folks maybe lookin for replacement over their dented box.

I seen a youtube video of a guy in hong kong burning all his HT boxes.

Probably a different person because I don’t think Budget Stark burned them, but he did talk about why he disposes of them and why he doesn’t sell them.

I am seriously considering de-boxing my life and I think I may offer the boxes and/or shippers for sale at a low cost on the forum for a limited time if I do.

But no way would I spend the time listing hundreds of boxes on eBay and ship them out piecemeal over time. I feel like I’d only get like $5 a box at most after shipping and fees. :lol

Probably a different person because I don’t think Budget Stark burned them, but he did talk about why he disposes of them and why he doesn’t sell them.

I am seriously considering de-boxing my life and I think I may offer the boxes and/or shippers for sale at a low cost on the forum for a limited time if I do.

But no way would I spend the time listing hundreds of boxes on eBay and ship them out piecemeal over time. I feel like I’d only get like $5 a box at most after shipping and fees. :lol

Maybe there are guys that buy them up and display them pretending they have huge collection to impress folks. Seal the boxes so they cant flip the window of course.

Maybe sell in bulk.

I know vintage toy box worth alot for folks looking to complete their loose figures or replace damaged boxes.

I keep my hot toys boxes for the most part, and I toss the styrofoam from my prime 1 statue boxes and put my hot toys boxes in them. I haven’t sold anything in a year, but my shed where I keep my stuff has no climate control and smells like gas (I mean, where else would I keep my gas and my lawnmower?) so my hot toys boxes are probably all melted down my now lol

And I’ve sold dozens of figures without the box no problems, I just take off 3% of what I think the figure is worth because I know 99% of these boxes go into storage so I place extremely little value in them. I’ve also bought figures with no boxes and it’s so nice not having to find a place to put them!

I keep some to use for storage of extra accessories, but 90% end up going into recycling. I’d rather save the extra space for more figures and not just boxes. I don’t buy to sell — I buy to enjoy.
When I moved my entire collection a few years ago I was very glad I kept all of my boxes for the statues to get repacked in. I don't buy with intent to sell either but tastes change or space constraints make for tough decisions. I'm lucky that I have a huge storage space for the boxes that doesn't impact any thing else.

This thread reminds me, whatever happened to ComicBookGuy on these forums. He famously displayed his high end statues on top of boxes. Sometimes the art box, sometimes the shipper, sometimes in bizarre ways. I hadn't thought about him in several years!

Yep, piles of boxes, galore! :lol

Not to mention, the pile of boxes of figures yet to be opened :horror

I currently don’t have a dining room. It’s a holding room for unopened boxes.

But who needs a dining room anyway. Just eat in the kitchen like a 18th century scullery maid.

This thread reminds me, whatever happened to ComicBookGuy on these forums. He famously displayed his high end statues on top of boxes. Sometimes the art box, sometimes the shipper, sometimes in bizarre ways. I hadn't thought about him in several years!

Is that the one who had post it notes everywhere and statues covered in dust?

I was trying to remember his name the other week.

But who needs a dining room anyway. Just eat in the kitchen like a 18th century scullery maid.

:lol :lol :lol

This is also a conundrum I’ve been dealing with! I’ve recently gone on a massive declutter to simplify my living space and have fewer possessions. It doesn’t mean I’ll stop collecting figures, but I’m being more conscious of what I buy 😉 Part of the decluttering process is not holding onto old packaging, something I used to do without thinking. We have a larger than average home and I used to be concerned about the potential of selling stuff on at a later date.

The boxes I plan on keeping are for the Terminator 2 figures I own (T800 and T1000). While not the most innovative or compact packaging, they are nice boxes. I plan on keeping those figures for a long, long time but they have a high resell value so it’s nice to know I still have the original boxes. For most of my Star Wars figures, I’ll probably be binning the boxes.

These days, I weigh up whether the figure is rare/has a high resell value versus whether I plan on holding onto it for a long time i.e. until I have grandchildren 😆

Yes indeed!

Yes indeed!

He’s like a Sideshow Collectors legend now, faded away into the mists of time alongside the old name for the forum.

A name whispered in hushed tones to warn collectors what they might become if they don’t dust their statues or get proper display cabinets.

A cautionary tale for the ages.

@darth dennis

I managed to track down some of the photos ComicBookGuy had previously shared. Figured I'd upload them here for posterity since this is part of Sideshow/Collector Freaks history.

If I recall correctly, I believe he said the notes for his house cleaner. I don't have an explanation for anything else.

CBG: If you ever see this, I hope you're doing well and that you were able to get some dust covers for your collection and some storage containers for your loose parts.

Photo Credit: ComicBookGuy

IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3715.JPG
IMG_3717.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3721.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_3726.JPG

Last edited:
I live in a two bedroom apartment with my fiancée. The second room is my office/display room and the closet is pretty packed with damn boxes, but luckily I still do have some room for them.

Part of me would like to just say- to hell with the boxes and toss them all, but I feel like I would regret it only on the chance that I decide to sell any more in the future.

Most of the good folks here at Collector Freaks probably have collections that are far larger than average. I'd wager even the most disciplined among us have collections that are larger than most people think about.

But with that comes a price. Not the actual price, but boxes.

This has been discussed before, but I wanted to make a poll and ask specifically about personal experiences in dealing with, storing, or living with boxes which might help others.

To those few among us who have thrown away or sold off all their boxes, how do you feel? Do you have any regrets? Or do you just feel liberated? Are there some boxes that you chose to keep? Or is it a strictly no box house?

To others who keep all their boxes but have many, where do you keep them? Do you have a storage shed or locker? A spare room just for boxes?

I sometimes feel the call to purge all boxes, but I've saved hundreds of Hot Toys boxes with shippers and it's difficult to let go. I don't plan on selling most of the figures I have currently, but losing so much value from the figures is also hard to stomach.

Even if I did get rid of all those, I would still keep the boxes for numbered limited edition items like statues or replicas from EFX and Master Replicas. So I'd still be living with some boxes.

I have no problems throwing away boxes for some items like 3.75" or 6" figures and I've gotten rid of boxes for some unnumbered statues and replicas. But I know there are some folks out there who like to keep everything including all toy boxes and packaging even for modern 3.75".

There's no right or wrong of course. Just curious about how everyone is dealing with this these days.

Edit: A mod moved the thread to this subforum which doesn’t allow polls so it lost its poll. The overwhelming majority opinion at that time was towards not throwing away any boxes.
I only open boxes that can be easily opened and Figure able to be put back in no problem . If I have to tear or cut,rip,slice then I leave it package . I have an example . Ones I can put away real easy or ones that the boxes would be screwed.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back