The Book Of Boba Fett (December 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke already alluded to not being sure if he's just helping Grogu to remember, vs. training. It's possible Grogu is the first "trainee" in SW who decided, nope, not me. Always wondered what happens to the ones who flunk out of Jedi training. Since they still would be Force sensitive.
He's got more short term happiness being with Din anyway. Why limit himself to being stuck with Disney Luke when he can make memories with Din and always look to train later on.

Yes I definitely get where you're coming from, though I personally am not convinced that the shortcomings of this show were the result of a lack of good faith in the writing. To me this series plays like two guys who really leaned into the notion of bringing a typical session of two kids playing with their action figures in the backyard to life but just got carried away. And it definitely would have been nice if a lot of the sloppiness of such a 1:1 translation to the screen had been tightened up to sync better with what most fans were expecting (myself included) but again speaking only for myself no harm no foul. Well no major harm anyway, I'd be lying if I said that before this show aired I wasn't hoping that it'd reconcile TM Fett with OT Fett but alas that didn't happen.

And for as much fun as I ended up having with this show of course I recognize that it didn't need to be either/or with regard to syncing up better with Fett's previously established character AND giving us over the top/off the rails action figure-esque adventures. But compartmentalization is a wonderful thing and so I'll just let this show be a continuation of the young PT Fett who in TCW never really seemed "all in" with regard to the ruthlessness of his chosen profession, despite going down that road for a time as Cad Bane was eager to remind us, lol.
It's not just Boba's characterization, though. It goes well beyond that. The stupidity layered throughout the scripts for all but two of these episodes is something that I can only explain one of two ways: 1.) untalented writers who have never produced quality scripts before, or 2.) talented writers who just didn't care enough to try very hard on this job.

There are so many examples that I could sit here all day enumerating the instances of contrivance, absurdity, and even contradiction that littered most of the episodes. But I'll only take the time to give one example because it speaks to how important it is not to phone in writing or give half-assed effort.

The other day, I asked here how in the world Luke (or even Grogu) could've known that Mando was on Tatooine. Someone replied with the perfectly truthful response that it was the same way Mando knew what planet Luke was on: plot convenience. And plot convenience is the epitome of laziness in writing. How much effort would it have taken to come up with an onscreen way to justify those characters knowing the other's whereabouts?

But forget about the logic aspect of it, and think about the story context. How Luke Skywalker deals with reuniting an incredibly powerful young Force user with a Mandalorian warrior (who will be engaged in combat for the foreseeable future) is kind of a big deal, no? Yet it was handled with a level of care you'd expect from a story written by a 12-year-old.

The entire last season of The Mandalorian was dedicated to the sacrifice that Din was making on Grogu's behalf. They decided to reunite them by having the mechanic take Grogu into the middle of a battle in a preposterous setup. It was done just to have him be at the place and time where he could use his Force abilities to help end the conflict. WHAT!?

I can't believe there was no accounting for how consequential it would have to be for Luke to turn over such a powerful child. No personal handover with Mando to reinforce the heavy responsibility and the trust involved. Nope. Just put the kid on an X-Wing and fly him off to... um, somewhere that Mando *might* be if he hasn't gotten himself killed in this turf war he left for. :slap

Like I said, there are countless other instances of poorly-thought-out sequences and half-baked narrative progressions. Some harmless, others consequential. I just can't understand how it is anything other than laziness or half-hearted effort. And I totally understand willingness to forgive that, but I just can't. I don't expect that the story will always go the way I want it to, and I'm prepared to dislike (or even hate) something yet still respect the effort. But laziness in writing SW when it means so much to so many? :thwak

Dude its a baby, he wanted to be with his dad, that was his choice.
His people is not the jedi, he is just a force sensitive child, for Grogu it's better to be with Mando than to become a Jedi.

You clearly don't understand Star Wars as whole if you think what Luke did was a bad move by letting someone choose what they want for their life just like he did in ESB\ROTJ.

Luke let him keep both, i doubt that in Mandalorian season 3 we wont have a few teachings episode with Luke, this was more of a "Go back to your father, the force is telling me that he needs you in Tatooine".
I can dig that bolded view and hope that's what they're going for and we'll see more Luke/Grogu in Mando S3. I'd like this because I like seeing the training stuff, I like that it messes with the ST "Ben was Luke's first student" and I like that Mando will be off doing the whole Mandalore thing for a while without Grogu. Win/win/win. :)

Sure I would have done things differently but never in a million years did I even dare hope we'd get something like a rampaging Rancor with Boba Fett on its back brawling with giant robots, smashing and eating a bunch of bad guys, then facing off against Cad Bane and then having a showdown with little Grogu (lol!) so yes I'm more than good with what we got. :)
Man, when you put it that way, I feel better about the show as well! Call me Khev, Jr., Jr., Jr.! :rotfl

It's not just Boba's characterization, though. It goes well beyond that. The stupidity layered throughout the scripts for all but two of these episodes is something that I can only explain one of two ways: 1.) untalented writers who have never produced quality scripts before, or 2.) talented writers who just didn't care enough to try very hard on this job.

There are so many examples that I could sit here all day enumerating the instances of contrivance, absurdity, and even contradiction that littered most of the episodes. But I'll only take the time to give one example because it speaks to how important it is not to phone in writing or give half-assed effort.

The other day, I asked here how in the world Luke (or even Grogu) could've known that Mando was on Tatooine. Someone replied with the perfectly truthful response that it was the same way Mando knew what planet Luke was on: plot convenience. And plot convenience is the epitome of laziness in writing. How much effort would it have taken to come up with an onscreen way to justify those characters knowing the other's whereabouts?

But forget about the logic aspect of it, and think about the story context. How Luke Skywalker deals with reuniting an incredibly powerful young Force user with a Mandalorian warrior (who will be engaged in combat for the foreseeable future) is kind of a big deal, no? Yet it was handled with a level of care you'd expect from a story written by a 12-year-old.

The entire last season of The Mandalorian was dedicated to the sacrifice that Din was making on Grogu's behalf. They decided to reunite them by having the mechanic take Grogu into the middle of a battle in a preposterous setup. It was done just to have him be at the place and time where he could use his Force abilities to help end the conflict. WHAT!?

I can't believe there was no accounting for how consequential it would have to be for Luke to turn over such a powerful child. No personal handover with Mando to reinforce the heavy responsibility and the trust involved. Nope. Just put the kid on an X-Wing and fly him off to... um, somewhere that Mando *might* be if he hasn't gotten himself killed in this turf war he left for. :slap

Like I said, there are countless other instances of poorly-thought-out sequences and half-baked narrative progressions. Some harmless, others consequential. I just can't understand how it is anything other than laziness or half-hearted effort. And I totally understand willingness to forgive that, but I just can't. I don't expect that the story will always go the way I want it to, and I'm prepared to dislike (or even hate) something yet still respect the effort. But laziness in writing SW when it means so much to so many? :thwak
Did Luke/Ahsoka even know the mechanic lady :slap

The mechanic leading certainly wasn’t expecting a visitor so how did Luke know that whoever was meeting Grogu wasn’t hostile?

I can keep the ridiculous stupidity going if you like lol

The mechanic leading certainly wasn’t expecting a visitor so how did Luke know that whoever was meeting Grogu wasn’t hostile?

Grogu must've used the Force to telepathically tell Luke that Mando has joined Boba's war on Tatooine. He then went on to specify that Luke should drop him off at docking bay 35 because he knows the mechanic there and she can get in touch with Mando when she's not too busy plowing Jawas. :rolleyes:

All valid observations, as I said before I'm obviously more forgiving in that regard due to the fun that I (at least) experienced as a result.

Quick question though, did you also consider the much loved Mando Season 2 finale to be guilty of lazy writing by having Luke just magically know the location of Moff Gideon's cruiser as it traveled through deep space? And whether you answer yes or no (both of which would be valid takes IMO) I just use it to point out that what we got in the BOBF finale isn't that far removed from similar moments on Mando's own show.

Personally I'm fine with handwaving those moments away and coming up with my own off-screen justifications but I get why others would be less inclined to do the same.

All valid observations, as I said before I'm obviously more forgiving in that regard due to the fun that I (at least) experienced as a result.

Quick question though, did you also consider the much loved Mando Season 2 finale to be guilty of lazy writing by having Luke just magically know the location of Moff Gideon's cruiser as it traveled through deep space? And whether you answer yes or no (both of which would be valid takes IMO) I just use it to point out that what we got in the BOBF finale isn't that far removed from similar moments on Mando's own show.

Personally I'm fine with handwaving those moments away and coming up with my own off-screen justifications but I get why others would be less inclined to do the same.
When Luke showed up in Mando, it was after they established some mystical stuff on Tython to bridge Grogu with whomever was on the other end of that Force phone call. From there, it's at least inferred that Luke could perhaps "sense" where his connection was. Like how Luke saw "a city in the clouds" on Dagobah and knew how to get to Bespin. It's silly, but the Force connection to certain individuals makes it the tiniest bit more plausible.

But I don't care as much about the logic, and I tried to make that clear. How Luke sent Grogu away and what the reunion meant for Luke, as well as for two seasons of The Mandalorian, is a lot more concerning.

Best to not overthink it. Just keep yourself topped up with those painkillers. :chillpill:

When Luke showed up in Mando, it was after they established some mystical stuff on Tython to bridge Grogu with whomever was on the other end of that Force phone call. From there, it's at least inferred that Luke could perhaps "sense" where his connection was. Like how Luke saw "a city in the clouds" on Dagobah and knew how to get to Bespin. It's silly, but the Force connection to certain individuals makes it the tiniest bit more plausible.

But I don't care as much about the logic, and I tried to make that clear. How Luke sent Grogu away and what the reunion meant for Luke, as well as for two seasons of The Mandalorian, is a lot more concerning.
Gotcha, I haven't finalized my head canon on why Grogu arrived the way that he did. For all we know something bad happened that Luke had to deal with and R2 helped Grogu escape only for them to be thrown into the fray on Tatooine with no time to explain (R2 even told the Mechanic Lady that he was in a rush to get the ship back). Since it all occurred off screen and led to some awesome (IMO) hijinks I'm good with not worrying about it too much.

And yes I realize that there's a ton of other stuff even harder to explain like Fett choosing to get the Rancor instead of Slave I and somehow arriving back to the city that fast but honestly the silliness of such a notion somehow makes it even more endearing for me, lol. Maybe he figured that the Rancor traveling all that way on foot would still be faster than him trying to back Slave I out of the garage. :lol

Luke already alluded to not being sure if he's just helping Grogu to remember, vs. training. It's possible Grogu is the first "trainee" in SW who decided, nope, not me. Always wondered what happens to the ones who flunk out of Jedi training. Since they still would be Force sensitive.

Per Karen Traviss, they got demoted to basically farmers, who used their powers to encourage crops to grow. One of her main characters was a Jedi who was very afraid of this happening to her, because at first she wasnt very good at using the Force. Considered a very boring assignment.

This is where a woman in the mix is useful. Men decide that they are going to die fighting when maybe they dont have to, and then:

Fennec [coldly]: "How about NOBODY does any dying today?
We already had that exact exchange with Q'ira, Han and Fennec at the end of Solo so I'm glad that Fennec wasn't there to spoil the boys' fun. :)

Speaking in general, thinking back on the "Legacy of the Force" novels tell us that powerful Force users could indeed sense each other out there and where they were in space and time; several of the characters spent a lot of effort hiding themselves so that other sensitives would not know what they are doing or where they are. Therefore Luke and Grogu might well easily know where the other was.

One possibility is that (while Mando was chatting up Ahsoka & pining away for Grogu from afar) R2D2 gave his N-1 Starfighter the once over, including a perusal of his navigational computer. That droid's all about the gathering of intel. :lol

He's got more short term happiness being with Din anyway. Why limit himself to being stuck with Disney Luke when he can make memories with Din and always look to train later on.
Maybe he can teach Din D'jarin to meditate the next time Mando's ride is stripped. :monkey3

Back