Terminator 5!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dir...s-Terminator-5-Original-Cast-Rumor-24539.html

Though he's made this rather sad shift in body shape, the idea of having Arnold Schwarzenegger back for another Terminator movie is pretty exciting. If they're going to shove another sequel down our throats, might as well have the original star doing the shoving, right? That idea was even more exciting when a report came out last week that not only would Schwarzenegger be returning, but also the entire original cast, including Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. Sadly, it looks like the rumor isn't true.

MTV spoke with Justin Lin, who is set to direct Terminator 5 and he has shut down the "original cast" rumor with the exception of Schwarzenegger. According to the director, developing concepts like "Hey, let's bring everybody back!" isn't the way that he works and everything "has just been between [himself] and Arnold." He did say that his plan is to bring the sequel back to its roots, and "loser tonally to the first and second movies." Furthermore, it seems as though he might be disregarding canon from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and Terminator Salvation.

"I always feel like what's great about the Terminator franchise is that there's time-travel and there are different timelines to play with. There are also a lot of gaps from what we love about all of the Terminator movies, so there's a lot of things we can do and play with. To me, all of that, I don't really want to discuss it now. That's part of the fun of developing. But the bigger questions for me are always the characters and the themes. You want to start there. But obviously, answering your question, [Terminator] does have that capability, finding fresh ways of going back without destroying other [movies], because you can tell your own stories."

I dont want more time travelling...i want endo wars, deaths, concentration camps, skulls, maybe Robert Patrick and no Arnold...

The future James Cameron showed us.

But we need more Arnold in leather outfits and sunglasses!

We don't. Thats just taking the p!$$ again like T3.

As I've always said just make a film set in 2029 showing the events Kyle Reese talked about that led up to him being sent back through time. Its so obvious I don't know why it hasn't already been done. T4 deserves credit for getting closer to that but since it was anticipating 2 more films that seemingly aren't happening now we're still left wanting the future war done properly.

As I've always said just make a film set in 2029 showing the events Kyle Reese talked about that led up to him being sent back through time. Its so obvious I don't know why it hasn't already been done. T4 deserves credit for getting closer to that but since it was anticipating 2 more films that seemingly aren't happening now we're still left wanting the future war done properly.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture
Yes! Thank you! I couldnt have said better myself. Although I wasnt the biggest fan of Salvation I don think it was as bad as everyone made it out to be. It could have been much better. But yes its the most obvious route to take this series. I thought T3(which I hated) was going to take that route but no.More build up(and what awful build up it was). I love Arnold in T1 and T2 and what he did for those movies but havent we moved past that? Isnt the Termionator storyline bigger than that? Hasnt it always been about this great revolutionary leader that leads humanity to its salvation. No pun intended. Id love to see someone pick up where T4 left off and take it to new heights. Unfortunately were only left to ponder what couold be. GIVE ME THE FUTURE!!

Oh and Justin Lin sucks. Why? Anyone who wants anything to do with that horrible fast and furious franchise must have terrible taste. I dont care how much money they made.

With whom as Kyle Reese? Biehn? Ain't gonna happen nor would it work anyway. Cool idea but how?

arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

:ignore::ignore::ignore::ignore:

Considering I like Timothy Olyphant this is not a bad idea but if no Biehn then don't bother. He'd be too damn old plus it'd never happen. Damn you a-dev :mad: Now you got this great idea in my head.

Considering I like Timothy Olyphant this is not a bad idea but if no Biehn then don't bother. He'd be too damn old plus it'd never happen. Damn you a-dev :mad: Now you got this great idea in my head.

I think Timothy could pull it off. He has the same intensity as Bien's Reese and looks and sounds about as close as you can get.

I think Timothy could pull it off. He has the same intensity as Bien's Reese and looks and sounds about as close as you can get.

I'm sure he could pull it off but his style is usually a tad too cocky whereas Biehn (as Reese) had a more method or hardcore tone in his style. If that makes sense. :D

Ironically Biehn was like a cold, lifeless robot in The Terminator. :lol

And that was due to all the hell he had been through leading up to when we first see him. Timothy Olyphant played a similar emotionally restrained character in Hitman as Agent 47.

So I could see him pulling it off.

Timothy Olyphant. :lecture

600full-timothy-olyphant.jpg
250px-Kyle_Reese.png

Exactly. The very guy I've always had in mind. That could be Michael Biehn junior. Of course they're probably doing something completely different, Olyphant probably hasn't entered anyones head and even if he was being looked for to do it theres no guarantee he'd want to be in a Terminator film. His character in Scream 2 would though - if memory serves he mentions T2 in the classroom debate about sequels.

Megan Ellison Enters Bidding War with Lionsgate for TERMINATOR Rights
by Matt Goldberg, May 11th, 2011 at 2:34 pm
https://collider.com/terminator-megan-ellison-lionsgate/90265/

Producer Megan Ellison and her Annapurna Pictures have entered a bidding war with Lionsgate over the rights to the Terminator franchise. As you may recall, Ellison previously has set her production company to backing smaller films with acclaimed directors like Paul Thomas Anderson’s untitled religious drama and Inherent Vice, and Kathryn Bigelow’s hunt for Osama Bin Laden film. It looked like Lionsgate was going to win the rights with a bid yesterday, but Deadline reports that Ellison has submitted a higher amount even though she doesn’t have a distributor locked in (although it’s probably not too difficult to find a studio willing to distribute a Terminator film).

Lionsgate has been attempting to get the rights to Terminator for years. Back in February 2010, hedge-fund Pacificor beat out a combined bid from Lionsgate and Sony after previous rights-holder Halcyon went bankrupt. Now those rights are back up for grabs, and it’s interesting to see Ellison try to take over the franchise. With Arnold Schwarzenegger poised to return and Fast Five director Justin Lin at the helm, it’s not a bad franchise to bet on, although I still remain unconvinced that Schwarzenegger is still a box office draw. Deadline speculates that Ellison may be fighting to get Terminator 5 because it may give her a better chance at recouping on her investment than say a movie about a World War II vet who starts a religious cult with an alcoholic drifter as his right hand man.

Whoever gets the rights will still have to face another issue: in 2018, the rights revert back to James Cameron unless a new deal is made. Cameron hasn’t shown much interest in returning to the franchise so it’s possible that he’ll just sign a new deal that will give the winner of the bidding war an extended lease on the property. Even if he changes his mind, there’s still time for a production company to churn out at least two more Terminator movies. The question is after the past two disappointments, does the public even want them?

https://collider.com/terminator-megan-ellison/90708/
Megan Ellison Beats Out Lionsgate for TERMINATOR Rights
by Matt Goldberg, May 13th, 2011 at 9:09 am

Lionsgate has missed out on the rights to The Terminator franchise again. After losing the bidding war to Pacificor back in February 2010, the rights went back up for sale at Cannes and Lionsgate once again tried to grab the franchise. But on Wednesday we learned that Megan Ellison, whose Annapurna Pictures had taken to backing prestige directors like Paul Thomas Anderson and Kathryn Bigelow, unexpectedly threw her hat into the ring. Now Deadline is reporting that Ellison has won the bidding war and it’s a surprising film to add to her indie-dominated portfolio. Hit the jump for more on Ellison’s other projects and my thoughts on her Terminator acquisition.

Keep in mind that she’s got a couple of the hottest projects going with Bigelow and Mark Boal’s film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden as well as John Hillcoat’s The Wettest County in the World starring Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, and Mia Wasikowska. She’s already sold the rights to Paul Thomas Anderson’s untitled religious drama to The Weinstein Company and I’m sure an intense bidding war will ensue over the Bin Laden project which is slated to shoot in the fall.

So where does Terminator fit into Ellison’s plan? Most are assuming that it’s a film to pay the bills because it has more mainstream appeal than most of the films that she’s producing. However, Terminator is far from a surefire hit. There hasn’t been a good Terminator movie in twenty years and after the disappointment of Terminator Salvation, I believed the franchise was in need in a reboot. Instead, the property is doubling-down on Arnold Schwarzenegger even though Rise of the Machines only grossed $150 million domestic off a $200 million budget. This is the same Schwarzenegger who didn’t have the box office clout to open Collateral Damage, The 6th Day, End of Days, or Jingle All the Way. His last bonafide hit was 1996’s Eraser. And yet the franchise is supposed to go back on his old shoulders?

I understand the need for Ellison to pursue a mainstream title like the Terminator franchise, but I think it’s a big gamble with Schwarzenegger back in the lead

Back