Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics, Rudimus!:clap

In terms of the girth you mentioned, what is the diameter-of-body of the Tama vs the HT?

Thx for the pics, Rudimus!

The clean look really goes well with the tamashii 3po.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Thanks Talibane! As far as the difference in diameter, I measured the HT at just under 3 inches & the Tama at 2" & 15/16 of an inch. But unfortunately I don't have calipers to get a precise difference.

Awesome comparison pics, and perfect backdrop for them. :clap

I only want one R2, but have the SS and HT already and am tempted by this one as well. :lol

Thx for the pics, Rudimus!

The clean look really goes well with the tamashii 3po.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Thanks klapper, yeah the clean look should help make it an easier choice for anybody looking to pair him with 3PO.

Awesome comparison pics, and perfect backdrop for them. :clap

I only want one R2, but have the SS and HT already and am tempted by this one as well. :lol

Thanks TonTon, we really are spoiled in terms of R2 with all these great choices available! I only wanted one as well, but I'll justify it as one clean version & one weathered version :lol

Can someone explain the difference in dome shape compared to the HT dome? Frankly, I don’t see it and I think it’s great that Tama had nailed some details that are more accurate to the ANH version, but I don’t recall R2 having fingernail slits in the side panels.

It’s a beautiful piece and I really wanted to buy an R2 from Tama, but I don’t think it’s proportionate to C3PO and I was really hoping for a metal dome...of all things to be metal, that should have been a no brainer.

At this point, if I have to buy a plastic dome version, I’ll buy the Target Sphero, at least it moves like R2.

Tama R2 IS proportional to the Tama 3PO... it was designed to be! My two together (excuse the poor photo, took a quick pic)
008a1.jpg

It's going to be an expensive month for me.
I just got notified from BBTS to get ready for payment on this one, & I should be getting charged for the Iron Studios Darth Vader any day now.
Folks might be getting IOU's for Christmas gifts from me this year.

It's going to be an expensive month for me.
I just got notified from BBTS to get ready for payment on this one, & I should be getting charged for the Iron Studios Darth Vader any day now.
Folks might be getting IOU's for Christmas gifts from me this year.

I'm right there with ya. Just received Jyn Erso Imperial Disguise today and have Jyn Erso and Tamashi R2 coming from BBTS. This year I'm giving donations in each persons name to the human fund.

human-fund.jpg

Tama R2 IS proportional to the Tama 3PO... it was designed to be! My two together (excuse the poor photo, took a quick pic)
008a1.jpg

Nice! They do look good together in that pic. I have the Tama Threepio and I got to see the Artoo in person at a local store (ridiculously priced though). He looked amazing and might sway me to try and pick one up next year, budget permitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great piece but I can’t get past the rivets. Stupidest decision in the history of R2 likenesses - and the fingernail slits :slap

Just got the Tamashii & it's great. The functionality is superior to the HT & the proportions are better(though the HT actually has more girth) The rivets & indents don't bother me actually. Which do I prefer? The Tamashii, it's build is great, the engineering is amazing & just seems better all around to me. From a distance, on a shelf it just looks amazing & like R2 to me. Which is better for you? Well you can't go wrong with either. The Hot Toys has the amazing dome, lower price & great weathering. The downside is questionable light functions, separate remote for sounds & no other features or stand. The Tamashii has amazing functions, sounds & lights(Lights need to be seen in person to fully be appreciated especially the back large circle), great proportions and a rock solid, superior body. Downside on Tama is higher price, rivets and indents & no weathering if that's important to you. Here's some pics.View attachment 373276View attachment 373277View attachment 373278

These are great photos. I really like the white paint app on the Tama and this setting is perfect for it.....there's just too many small things nagging me on it...besides the large issue of the dome. I've been checking this site for years waiting for this release....I have to say, as well done as it is...the dome was a massive let down.

What the Tama does to recreate R2 from ANH is better than the TFA HT. Rivets or not. 6V4A0527.jpg Some see unpainted dots, I see a recessed light on to a clear bubble. & some green lol

I bet those dots could be filled with some kind of white putty to make them less noticeable.

It kills me that they were so concerned with accuracy yet gave it those cutouts you could get your fingernail into...

Just got the Tamashii & it's great. The functionality is superior to the HT & the proportions are better(though the HT actually has more girth) The rivets & indents don't bother me actually. Which do I prefer? The Tamashii, it's build is great, the engineering is amazing & just seems better all around to me. From a distance, on a shelf it just looks amazing & like R2 to me. Which is better for you? Well you can't go wrong with either. The Hot Toys has the amazing dome, lower price & great weathering. The downside is questionable light functions, separate remote for sounds & no other features or stand. The Tamashii has amazing functions, sounds & lights(Lights need to be seen in person to fully be appreciated especially the back large circle), great proportions and a rock solid, superior body. Downside on Tama is higher price, rivets and indents & no weathering if that's important to you. Here's some pics.View attachment 373276View attachment 373277View attachment 373278

Nice comparison..there's certainly lots to love with the Tamashii,especially the wee fake baker legs. And i actually like the rivets as i find them a charming nod to the movie...but i love the look of the metal dome on HT. Have you tried the HT dome on the Tamashii body?

Nice comparison..there's certainly lots to love with the Tamashii,especially the wee fake baker legs. And i actually like the rivets as i find them a charming nod to the movie...but i love the look of the metal dome on HT. Have you tried the HT dome on the Tamashii body?

The HT dome can sit on the Tama body, but it's a different connection and a wee bit too big. The shape of the Tama dome is more accurate to R2, I think Tama abandoned the stainless steel half dome in order to get a more parabolic shape. Here's some quick cell pics, as you can see in the closeup photo the HT dome overlaps. fullsizeoutput_e20.jpgfullsizeoutput_e1e.jpg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_e1f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_e1f.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 166
The rivets would be okay if they were painted in so they were much more subtle. Then it would really just be an issue of the little slits that were cut out for the panels. I prefer the magnet solution that SS came up with though.

Despite all that, still have my finger hovering over that order button. :lol

The magnetic system only works on the SS because the panels are so loose and flimsy. The build on the Tama is far more solid and the parts more finely toleranced, so opening those panel doors takes a bit of effort. Still, I think I'd have preferred no opening doors at all rather than have those indents there. They're not a big deal in hand the way the SS visible dome seam is, but there's no getting away from the fact that they're there.

Back