Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried using a fine brush to drip a tiny drop of white paint into each rivet hole? Wouldn't take more than 15 mins. That seems like what Tama did for their pre-release pics to make them seem less obvious.

So the simple exchange with Ami Ami has turned into a nightmare. I had to send it back which I was fine with and they said they would reimburse shipping up to 10,000 yen. So I mailed the item back to them and paid $125 Canadian. I was willing to accept spending the little bit over the 10,000 yen. Now they are saying they will only reimburse me 4700 yen based on courier shipping which is not available in my area. It is just some random number they say it should have been. Then they go on to tell me it will take 1-2 months to refund me the 1/3 of the amount I paid for shipping. Now I have to wonder if I will even get a replacement. Just not happy right now.

Needless to say, I’ll never order a thing from them again. They keep altering the agreement.

If you have the emails listing the those prices, and you acted based on those prices, they are required to honor the original quoted price. Aren’t they?

I mean, there was no stipulation given with the original quote, right?

So the simple exchange with Ami Ami has turned into a nightmare. I had to send it back which I was fine with and they said they would reimburse shipping up to 10,000 yen. So I mailed the item back to them and paid $125 Canadian. I was willing to accept spending the little bit over the 10,000 yen. Now they are saying they will only reimburse me 4700 yen based on courier shipping which is not available in my area. It is just some random number they say it should have been. Then they go on to tell me it will take 1-2 months to refund me the 1/3 of the amount I paid for shipping. Now I have to wonder if I will even get a replacement. Just not happy right now.

Needless to say, I’ll never order a thing from them again. They keep altering the agreement.

That sucks :(

If you have the emails listing the those prices, and you acted based on those prices, they are required to honor the original quoted price. Aren’t they?

I mean, there was no stipulation given with the original quote, right?

Not sure who could hold them accountable. PayPal perhaps?

They are telling me now that they would have provided a return label through DHL if I asked. I didn’t even know it was an option!!! They told me to mail it WTF?

Quick shots of my Tama vs my sideshow. I don’t have the HT 2C772825-B153-458F-81C8-FF2F1E7EC567.jpegDB5B76C4-EA1D-4F06-A0D9-ED1545C8F6BF.jpegD13BCB0A-5231-4373-A0E3-196D7C9521A5.jpeg1177A050-F055-4B58-988A-9AA2C771B98D.jpeg

The HT dome can sit on the Tama body, but it's a different connection and a wee bit too big. The shape of the Tama dome is more accurate to R2, I think Tama abandoned the stainless steel half dome in order to get a more parabolic shape. Here's some quick cell pics, as you can see in the closeup photo the HT dome overlaps. View attachment 373435View attachment 373436

Do the Kenny Baker leg tubes fit on the HT R2 at all?

Too bad the Tama wasn't closer to the Taito alarm clock size. If it was aiming for accuracy that, along with a metal dome, would have been two of the most important ingredient. I would rather have the metal dome if were only achieving 90% accuracy.

Too bad the Tama wasn't closer to the Taito alarm clock size. If it was aiming for accuracy that, along with a metal dome, would have been two of the most important ingredient. I would rather have the metal dome if were only achieving 90% accuracy.

Anyone seen a pic of the Taito next to the Tama?

After going down the ANH R2 OCD rabbit hole for a while I discovered some things. The rivets are there on the opening sequence, the front projector lamp and the 2 dots on the back are black(though sometimes in ANH they aren't) & I think some are different girths. I think the Kenny Baker model is portly while the RC isn't more svelte. So in conclusion the HT does look more like R2 on screen than the Tama, mostly due to weathering & added girth though the HT really looks just like R2 in TFA. The Tama is a very nice Model representation of R2 & all his added features(arms, tubes, ports & bolt) make him worthwhile. The Tama does have limited articulation compared to the HT, probably to help it's heavyweight keep balance. So the perfect R2 is out there yet to be made, but until then either of these should please most demanding collectors. Here's some shots I took to compare fullsizeoutput_e34.jpgfullsizeoutput_e3a.jpgfullsizeoutput_e39.jpg

& TonTon I don't think the Kenny Baker tubes would fit on the HT because there's some magnets & spring loaded feet on the Tama to assist them going on.

I have that Taito alarm clock I even put the ss r2 light system in there as it was an extra. and I did some weather to it. looks cool. these are old photos I did about two years ago or so. r2 taito 1.jpg r2 taito 2.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but why was there a need to put a person (Kenny Baker) in the set model? What was his role inside, beeping and lighting switches? Surely there was a way to do all this remotely.

After going down the ANH R2 OCD rabbit hole for a while I discovered some things. The rivets are there on the opening sequence, the front projector lamp and the 2 dots on the back are black(though sometimes in ANH they aren't) & I think some are different girths. I think the Kenny Baker model is portly while the RC isn't more svelte. So in conclusion the HT does look more like R2 on screen than the Tama, mostly due to weathering & added girth though the HT really looks just like R2 in TFA. The Tama is a very nice Model representation of R2 & all his added features(arms, tubes, ports & bolt) make him worthwhile. The Tama does have limited articulation compared to the HT, probably to help it's heavyweight keep balance. So the perfect R2 is out there yet to be made, but until then either of these should please most demanding collectors. Here's some shots I took to compare View attachment 374198View attachment 374199View attachment 374200

& TonTon I don't think the Kenny Baker tubes would fit on the HT because there's some magnets & spring loaded feet on the Tama to assist them going on.

wow. I mean, wow.

Still cannot say which one I would prefer... but these pics are great. Thank you.

Back