Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that they both came out to the same height. Somehow I was expecting one to be a little taller or shorter than the other, since that's usually how these things go.

And I would agree, the Tama is still looking the best to me, with overall proportions that are somehow feeling just a lot more "right" to me. I'm not exactly sure what's off about the SSC 3PO (too skinny? too stiff? knees too big?), but there's definitely something a bit weird and off about it...

Interesting that they both came out to the same height. Somehow I was expecting one to be a little taller or shorter than the other, since that's usually how these things go.

And I would agree, the Tama is still looking the best to me, with overall proportions that are somehow feeling just a lot more "right" to me. I'm not exactly sure what's off about the SSC 3PO (too skinny? too stiff? knees too big?), but there's definitely something a bit weird and off about it...

To me it's the facial proportions that are off with the SSC (eye holes too small, chin too large, relationship of facial features) and the sheen sells the Tama as 3PO a bit more than the gold paint.

That said, the SSC came out a whole lot better than I thought it would (even functionally.) I was getting this partly because I was curious what they did, and to display as part of my Palace dio (as opposed to the standalone display) but it's a nice figure for individual display.

Just finished the eye mod. PJB-1138's instructions made it really easy (thank you!!) and it definitely makes an already A+ figure marginally better.

b00efef61b4d143199a6f5315ce9faf0_zps4c597558.jpg

I picked up a GamColor swatch book from a local lighting supply store, hacked up several colors and sent them out to a bunch of fellow Freaks here a few months back. While quite a few different colors produced results that looked close to how Threepio's eyes looked in the movies, I found that a dark orange-brown looked best to not only produce a nice amber hue, but it toned down the excessive brightness from the tiny LEDs inside the figure's head.

Here are some diagrams I made describing the process:

assemble-1_zps4968acab.jpg

First, unscrew the top, bottom-left and bottom-right screws to undo the lighting assembly. The bottom-center is for the battery compartment, so it can be left on. Then, carefully lift the whole thing out.

assemble-2_zpsf2a98c81.jpg

Next, remove the small black piece at the bottom and undo the silver screws holding the black plastic vertical bar holding the eye pieces in place.

assemble-3_zpsab301d00.jpg

Finally, cut the gel into a narrow, slightly trapezoidal shape and place it right over the back of the white translucent eye piece, longer horizontal side on top. Put everything back together, making sure not to replace the screws so tightly that the gel warps.

Eyes08_zps59cf5f68.jpg

Once the figure is reassembled, it should look something like this. Easy-peasy!

Just reposting these instructions as I plan to do this soon.

I'm gonna go the file folder route this weekend as they're easy to get at Staples. I may try to get a spare set of batteries. Mine have lasted a while--I got the figure in May or June last year I think, but I may use this opportunity to replace them.

I went to the trouble to get the Rosco sample book and now can't find it.:slap

I really need to finally do this mod before my SSC 3PO arrives.

Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

So just finished the mod. Went with an orange folder tab I found at work (both sides) but I have a yellow one as well that I may try, or a combo of one piece yellow and one piece orange. Looks better so far but not quite there.
1d0d28743b03d49c13972f1b713d4684.jpg

And an after and before comparison.
83d190391063eae89182680c8fa28dd4.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty happy how it came out and how easy it turned out to be. Might not even bother to tweak anymore. Gotta give props to PJB-1138 for the great instructions.

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with that anymore. Looks good.

Unmodded 3PO looks possessed.

One thing I do like on the SSC 3PO is how they went with the silver shoulder rings (between torso and shoulder bell.) It's only that way for a few scenes in ANH (the neck is also silver periodically) but it provides a nice breakup of the all-gold upper body.

Yeah, I like that little detail too, didn't realize it was only in certain parts. The pictures of the arms that galictiboy posted made it look like the SS had nice detailing there too. Not sure if the weathering just makes those finer lines stand out more.

Back