Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with JJ3. There's room for improvement. Maybe not on execution but a properly weathered 3PO, the ability to sit could have some display uses and maybe an exclusive Salacious Crump damaged head sculpt :huh

I could see them securing some sales with the right thought given to it.

There are definitely a few things Sideshow can add to make it more enticing than the Tamashii, like everyone has mentioned, weathering, sitting ability, etc. Maybe there will be a way to disassemble Threepio so as to work as the ESB Threepio in pieces, with a netted back pack for the imaginary Sideshow Chewie to carry! ;) And the lower price will definitely draw in everyone who couldn't pull the trigger on the Tamashii because of the $400 pricetag.

Do some people here feel that the Tamashii is out of scale from the rest of the Sideshow SW figures? It is a tad shorter than Han, but it feels like it's still in scale with the line. In other words, it doesn't look out of scale when they're all together. At least to me. I don't think there's reason to worry about the Tamashii's Threepio's compatibility with Sideshow's R2. They will look spectacular together.

My Tamashii 3PO is displayed next to Jabba's throne and doesn't look out of place. Now, i'll have to wait for my new R2 and see if it fits well next to him but i'm pretty confident i'll be satisfied.

I agree, Mad and TK. To my eyes, Tamashii 3PO displays well with the other figures and I'm sure R2 will be no exception. It's not like R2 will look glaringly out of scale. He'll be .25" shorter than his ideal to-scale height, but I'm not going to let something like that bother me. Only thing I wish is that his dome was aluminium, but for $150.00 I can't complain. Looking forward to R5-D4 going up for pre-order one of these days.

As far as SSC's 3PO goes, I'm glad they're making it for those that missed out on the Tamashii. It'd have to be a pretty spectacular offering to make me double-dip on the character, though. Could see going for a K-3PO variant.

Last edited:
Dang, that is a shame. Death Star droid was one of the first Kenner figs I ever got and I loved it. Has such a sinister look for a droid. Would definitely pick one up!

Same with 4-LOM. I think they're the two coolest protocol droids in all three films, but they have so many departures from 3-PO that they'd both need unique molds. Maybe we'll luck out and get them anyway (the bounty hunter especially!)

EDIT: 4-LOM has a lot more common parts, actually.

215709-126719-4-lom.jpg
489055420_24cef2f305.jpg

c3po.jpg

Really only just the arms and legs. Even though the torso has the circle near the belly the presence of the double chest on 4-LOM suggests that it will need to be a different mold at least for the front of the chest. As well as a different mid-section.

Really only just the arms and legs. Even though the torso has the circle near the belly the presence of the double chest on 4-LOM suggests that it will need to be a different mold at least for the front of the chest. As well as a different mid-section.

Yeah, but arms and legs is a lot more than the silver one has in common.

What I'm having trouble figuring out is if they all have the same hip/trunk piece.

For those folks who plan on buying the SS R2 and keep the Tamashii 3PO on his stand. How are you going to display R2? I was looking at buying another 3PO stand (if I can find one)

I have the medicom R2 displayed on the stand with threepio tilted at an angle. They both fit fine on there, but I'm not sure how the sideshow one will fit being it's significantly larger. Guess well see around December.

So what you guys are saying is that you all need a new stand? I'm sure Username (bar) can hook you up, he makes some nice stands for his displays.

I pre-ordered this faulty SSR2, I guess I had no choise. But, for what it's worth, I'm going to make a mold out of my Threepio's stand and make a copy of it. As easy as pie. And I'm going to rip out the lighting unit on the back... Going to replace it with a different kind of gel or something.

Threepio has never shown any sign of being wobbly or being unstable. But he is a heavy sumbich and if he were to fall, it would be catastrophic for the figure and everything in his way. Just the physics of a tall vertical figure standing on two little pieces of surface area suggest that a fall is inevitable if something were to bump it or if the floor were to bounce or shake.

Therefore I always have him clamped into his stand. It's the only way for me to feel 95% certain that he is secure (5% uncertain because, you know, stuff happens). I know I'm being overly cautious, but better safe than sorry.

I plan on making a stand for R2 to match the height of Threepio's, most likely out of a black acrylic sheet. I haven't decided if I will taper the edge to slot into Threepio's stand.

Back