Super 7 GI JOE Ultimates line speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint and Jady Jaye both wore Cobra disguises so if they ever release a female Cobra Trooper they can include a proper Lady Jaye head with that. And then if they re-release the male Cobra Trooper for future army builders they can do the same for Flint. Or if they want to sneak another Lady Jaye head in with the upcoming Baroness they can do that too, ha ha.

Flint.jpg

Lady Jaye.jpg

Lady Jaye2.png

Lady Jaye3.jpg

Yeah, on Hisstank there was a larger discussion about this, but with Flint I think the main issue is the eyes, followed by the eyebrows and skin tone.

If the factory sent out a production sample that was not reflected in the production version, then that sounds like a pretty bad factory. . .

I've ordered some different eye decal options from someone I know who does Minimate customs, and am going to try some of those out with Flint and (when she arrives) Lady Jaye.

From what I've seen now (and I only started paying attention with the release of the Joes), Super 7 is incredibly consistent from wave to wave in just about every line. So, I'm not going to assume that. Though if you take him at his word, then I surely wish they would have chosen another wave to screw up on over this one.

The glossy finish isn't the most difficult thing in the world to deal with, though. A couple coats of clear matte finish and that part can be improved tremendously. But Duke's eyes were spot on, while the ones in this wave are really bad. Irises and pupils are ridiculously small, tampo isn't applied in the same spot on every figure (some look better than others--mine thankfully seems pretty good as far as that goes). And the eyebrows are pretty weirdly done, as well. So, I hope that part of the factory gets fixed before anything else. . .

Here's what were supposedly production samples of Wave 2 from last year's SDCC where they now appear to be the same glossy, unpainted heads that got shipped out almost a year later so not sure what's going on with Brian's claim that they received painted samples from the factory.

Flint-GI-Joe-Super7-Ultimates-Wave-2-Production-Figure..jpg

Lady-Jaye-GI-Joe-Super7-Ultimates-Wave-2-Production-Figure..jpg

Baroness-GI-Joe-Super7-Ultimates-Wave-2-Production-Figure.jpg

For the fun of it I decided to flip through my GI Joe trades to see where Baroness wears the gas mask and uses the syringe. Both appear in issue #13 from 1983. She wears the gas mask for a whopping three panels and holds the syringe in just one single panel. Talk about a deep cut, lol.

GI Joe 13 1.jpg

GI Joe 13 2.jpg

Here's what were supposedly production samples of Wave 2 from last year's SDCC where they now appear to be the same glossy, unpainted heads that got shipped out almost a year later so not sure what's going on with Brian's claim that they received painted samples from the factory.

Flint-GI-Joe-Super7-Ultimates-Wave-2-Production-Figure..jpg
I guess he can't be trusted. . .eyes and eyebrows look way better on that Flint than the production ones, though.

Wave 3 is supposedly right around the corner so we'll see quickly see if Brian's claims that this wave was a one-off error are true or not.
Brian Flynn is quite the Fibber. Lot's of promises and then disappointed customers.

I'm one of the many fans who likes Snake-Eyes the best but how do you make a line based on the Sunbow cartoon and screw up Flint??? He's pretty much the main character for a good portion of the series with Lady Jaye always at his side. Part of me thinks screw it and that I should just pick up him and Lady Jaye anyway but I'm guessing they'll never increase in price so I think I'll hold off a while to see if some sort of corrected version comes out later. Since these figures are great from the neck down then any variant they release with proper heads can just be swapped out with their main outfits in the future.
Snake Eyes is My number 3 after Flint and Mutt and Junkyard. I am one of the few fans that prefers Snake Eyes in the commando gear rather than the ninja. I like both but since I am a Punisher fan it probably explains my preference.

Snake Eyes is My number 3 after Flint and Mutt and Junkyard. I am one of the few fans that prefers Snake Eyes in the commando gear rather than the ninja. I like both but since I am a Punisher fan it probably explains my preference.
My lifelong love of SE was born solely out of the 1985 figure and card art which to me has always been second to none. But as the decades have passed I've been finding myself drawing more and more to his Commando look. Partly because the first three years of the comic run are probably my favorite and I think his portrayal in the MASS Device miniseries is better than his cross-dressing break-dancing latter appearances, lol. Also I think the Commando look translates better to live-action as well.

I'm similar to Khev. As a kid there was no contest, but now I see them on a more even playing field. The comic and more modern toys have influenced me positively regarding commando Snake Eyes (and the later comics may have turned me off a bit to all Joe ninjas. . .).

Much of my earlier perspective was based primarily on vintage toys. And on that measure there still is no comparison. '85 Snakes is one of the greatest toys of all time. The 82-83 version is good, but not great.

The toys and the cartoon were two different things for me as a kid, Loved Flint and Jaye from the cartoon, they were my two favorite characters out of all GI Joe, but the figures looked different and left a lot to be desired. So I preferred Beachhead, Wetsuit, and Snake Eyes Commando. However, my Commando was straight armed so I liked playing with V2 more.

Very disappointed with how my two favorite Cartoon Joes turned out, hopefully they go on discount.

This line is getting more and more tempting. I may have to start with some favorites and expand from there.

I worked on a few sculpts yesterday after being really dissatisfied with the stock Flint and Lady Jaye heads l. I put a dull clear coat on both, which helped, but still wasn't satisfied with Flint's beady eyes and lack of definition, so I made his irises bigger and added a wash to his mouth. Not 100% satisfied and will come back to this at some point, maybe if I get better tools to work on something in this small scale, but happier anyway. At least looking at a regular distance on the shelf it doesn't stick out so much from Duke anymore. Headset sculpt is stock. Sheen is night and day in hand.

20230828_220757.jpg
20230829_072646.jpg
20230828_220803.jpg

Last edited:
I need to fix my Flint too. Angers me what happened to the greatest Joe, but I will paint mine soon. Just need to get my updated prescription glasses in a few weeks first, so I can see what I’m doing 😬

Back