Super 7 GI JOE Ultimates line speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to fix my Flint too. Angers me what happened to the greatest Joe, but I will paint mine soon. Just need to get my updated prescription glasses in a few weeks first, so I can see what I’m doing 😬
Yeah, my eyesight is pretty bad, so I couldn't see some imperfections until I took pics I could zoom into. But I came back to him last night and made the eyes cleaner (zooming in with the camera on my phone as i worked) and now I'm pretty happy with where he is. Now he's stylistically aligned with Duke. Eyebrows are something I may come back to, as those tampos aren't applied as they should be, and the sculpt itself is slightly warped from the prototype, though I'm not sure if anything can be done about it. Also, the flesh on his neck and biceps have a green hue where the green plastic underneath comes through, but it might just make things worse if I try to paint over and color match with the flesh plastic of his head and forearms.

Lady Jaye really benefits from a flat topcoat. While her eyes can still be improved, it's not nearly as bad as the stock Flint's beady eyes in my opinion. The smiling face on Flint is pretty good even with no mods, but I may revisit that soon. I'm not sure what can be done with the open mouth sculpt, though. I tried a few things last night with a wash and coloring the cheeks and face but nothing overcame the weird, inhuman look of it. I suspect you would need to paint the entire interior of his mouth. I may revisit that later, though I'll probably never pose him with that sculpt anyway.
20230830_214353.jpg
20230830_223013.jpg
20230831_000203.jpg

Much improved and nice work! I would definitely make the eyebrows a tad thicker with a darker color brown for his hair. I love the sculpt with removable cover, so that’s the one I’ll be working on. I will probably darken that beret too with a wash and try to cover the green painted flesh on the neck better. I need to do something to help fix this situation 🤷🏻‍♂️

Alright, so I started throwing paint on Flint and this is what I came up with. I haven’t sealed it yet, so we shall see how bad the paint rub situation will be, once I spray it down with a matte finish. Repainted the sculpt, neck, and arms, but didn’t touch the eyes yet cause I can’t see good enough at the moment. Also, put a dark wash over the beret and hit it up with some dry brushing to bring out some more detail.
I took a couple of photos with both figures on each side for lighting purposes to see any differences. Any feedback more than welcome cause I need this figure to look badass on the shelf 👍

IMG_9548.jpeg
IMG_9547.jpeg

Alright, so I started throwing paint on Flint and this is what I came up with. I haven’t sealed it yet, so we shall see how bad the paint rub situation will be, once I spray it down with a matte finish. Repainted the sculpt, neck, and arms, but didn’t touch the eyes yet cause I can’t see good enough at the moment. Also, put a dark wash over the beret and hit it up with some dry brushing to bring out some more detail.
I took a couple of photos with both figures on each side for lighting purposes to see any differences. Any feedback more than welcome cause I need this figure to look badass on the shelf 👍

View attachment 659763View attachment 659765
Looks really good there. One thing I was thinking yesterday was that his skin is too pale. Yours now has a nicer skintone, and makes Duke look like he needs some vitamin D. How did you do the forearms? Did you pull it out of the socket and paint it that way?

I didn’t take anything apart and still need to clean it up around the gloves and sleeves. I tried a couple of washes at first and then hit it with some dry brushing. That’s what I recommend going forward on these figures 👍

The repaints look great guys! It might be easier painting the eye dots with a Gundam paint marker.
Sounds like you need an Optivisor Deathasylum. You can get Chinese brand ones with multiple plastic lenses on Amazon cheaper than the official ones. I got mine years ago super cheap from Harbor Freight though, I'm looking to upgrade to a official Optivisor glass lens pair soon. I just need to figure out what focal length I want because the set with multiple glass lenses is extremely expensive.
You could also get a hands free magnifier, they're cheap at Harbor Freight too.

I most definitely need one of those magnifiers, along with replacing my broken eyeglasses. I was thinking about using some sort of fine point pen for the eyes on this, so Gundam markers are an excellent recommendation. I’m wondering if there are any eye decals that could work at this scale too 🤔

Bad Mother Tattoos & Customs on Ebay sells eye decal sheets and I believe they have varying sizes which might work for 1/10 scale. The shop is closed for the moment:
https://www.ebay.com/str/badmothercustomsThough I don't know if more realistic looking eyes would work on Cartoon styled figures. You might also have luck with a paint pen which is kinda the same thing as a Gundam marker, I just picked up some from Hobby Lobby, they also have Gundam Markers as sets but they're more expensive than the same from Amazon or the paint pens. They also had their own chinese version of a Optivisor for $15 and a standing magnifying glass.

I bought a sticker sheet with some Minimate eyes in different sizes from Luke's Toy Store (tremendous guy I have known and dealt with forever, by the way. If you ever want to get anything Minimate-related I couldn't recommend anyone higher), and they are actually really good in terms of style and size. The problem is that, at that scale, it's hard to cut them just right without leaving a little of the edge visible, or conversely, it's easy to cut too much. That was my first idea with Flint and Lady Jaye If I had a bit more skill working at this small scale, I would probably go that route. Particularly for Lady Jaye since Luke has some great, female styled eyes with lashes and a more anime-style design that fits in with the cartoon.

In terms of the Gundam markers, I'm not concerned with giving Flint pupils and a white reflection point at the moment. Risk of screwing it up and having to re-do the irises is a pretty strong deterrent. Besides, Duke is the high water mark for the human sculpts in this line so far, yet he is essentially all pupil, since his eyes are really dark and in the show he had blue eyes.

I'm sure it sounds nuts, but I am really relieved that my Flint is now in serviceable shape. Seeing how they dropped the ball on the production version was the biggest toy-related gut punch I've experienced in years. If I see one really discounted I may take a shot at doing more, like painting the chest/arms/head and doing more with the eyes (maybe even doing a black shirt), but I think I'm going to leave mine alone. This simple thing has reinvigorated my interest in the line as a whole, honestly, and gives me confidence I can make it work even if, say, Roadblock or Zartan has some issue (though if they do Zartan wrong I think I'll have to fly to Super 7 headquarters personally and give them what for).

Last edited:
Right there with the gut punch! I might just pick up a 2nd Flint and keep it stock and go all out with this one with the 1985 look. My absolute favorite Joe figure of all time, so why not have that look for him. Also, I made some changes to the paint apps again and will post a pic when complete. The eyes need to be bigger on this thing, so once I figure out the magnification I’m going for it. Fingers crossed when I get to that point 🙏

Bought her at the comic shop last week. Cool figure.

Attachments

• IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5102.jpeg
    IMG_5102.jpeg
    869.4 KB · Views: 0
I just finally saw a Flint in hand video. What happened?

Attachments

• IMG_4953.jpeg
    IMG_4953.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 0
I cancelled my Flint and Lady Jaye orders but can be tempted to pick them up again if they offer some properly painted heads as extra accessories for a future release.

I just finally saw a Flint in hand video. What happened?

They blew it :gah:
Yeah, the production flesh on the heads were unpainted (Flint and Lady Jaye both--this leads to a lack of definition on the sculpt and makes it look cheaper), the eye irises/pupils are too small, and the tampos are somewhat mis-applied (eyes and eyebrows). On top of that, there is some deformation of the sculpt from the prototype. Having said that, the in-hand photo you show from that video isn't completely fair as a point of comparison, because it is so washed out with the bright light and the colors are off. But no doubt, there were serious issues. Figures are both serviceable--particularly if you use a clear matte spray on the sculpt and use the smiling sculpt on Flint--and the bodies and accessories are pretty good, but yeah, nothing like the prototypes which is incredibly disappointing.

One thing that hasn't been discussed much is that the bodies are actually better in this wave than in wave 1. Duke's head pops off if you look at it the wrong way, and the ankles aren't as strong with wave 1. The bodies also feel more fragile than they do with wave 2. I read of some people breaking the wrist pegs on Duke.

Yeah, the production flesh on the heads were unpainted (Flint and Lady Jaye both--this leads to a lack of definition on the sculpt and makes it look cheaper), the eye irises/pupils are too small, and the tampos are somewhat mis-applied (eyes and eyebrows). On top of that, there is some deformation of the sculpt from the prototype. Having said that, the in-hand photo you show from that video isn't completely fair as a point of comparison, because it is so washed out with the bright light and the colors are off. But no doubt, there were serious issues. Figures are both serviceable--particularly if you use a clear matte spray on the sculpt and use the smiling sculpt on Flint--and the bodies and accessories are pretty good, but yeah, nothing like the prototypes which is incredibly disappointing.

One thing that hasn't been discussed much is that the bodies are actually better in this wave than in wave 1. Duke's head pops off if you look at it the wrong way, and the ankles aren't as strong with wave 1. The bodies also feel more fragile than they do with wave 2. I read of some people breaking the wrist pegs on Duke.
Wow. I hadn’t heard that. Good to know. In the pic I posted I was more trying to point out that the shape of the head is the worst part more so than the paint which is also not great. It seems like they tried for Flint and came out with Rocky Dennis.

I’d love to see a toy version of snake eyes in the all black outfit. If we follow the trend super7 have been taking we should see toy versions in less than a year.

Attachments

• Untitled123_20230905123006.png
    Untitled123_20230905123006.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
I’d love to see a toy version of snake eyes in the all black outfit. If we follow the trend super7 have been taking we should see toy versions in less than a year.
Yeah, that seems like the most obvious repaint in the world. I'm a bit surprised they jumped into Destro and Baroness repaints before doing some variation of Snake Eyes. Seems like it has to happen at some point. The grays are a lot more pronounced on the ReAction version, though, so it may not be as toy accurate as your mock-up, but I hope it is.

Looks like they swapped the color pallet from the V1 to the V2. Strange choice.

Attachments

• IMG_4970.jpeg
    IMG_4970.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4971.jpeg
    IMG_4971.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4974.jpeg
    IMG_4974.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4977.jpeg
    IMG_4977.jpeg