Suicide Squad 2 to be directed by James Gunn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[...]The movie was hacked too pieces in post its pretty obvious, ?maybe? there is a good cut of the movie out there somewhere -depending on how the snyder cut goes over we may get to see it

What a strange time we live in now, where movie studios get 'do-overs' -- when their work is poorly received the first time they get to sell it to us a second time. It's the Second Draft Era.

Yeah, they've taken the Director's Cut to a new level. Soon, everyone will get a cut: Theatrical Cut, Streaming Cut, Extended Cut, Director's Cut, Editor's Cut, The Super Cut, The People's Cut, the whats-left-in-the-bin Cut...

Makes sense though; if you can simply repackage something finished with unused shots and a new edit and call it The ______ Cut... why not?

For some reason there are people out there that always assume conspiracy and are convinced there's a master cut of the film that they have been deliberately deprived of by dark forces in the industry.

The only Cut I have ever seen that was better than the theatrical version was the EE LOTR... and I agree that the running time would have been too long to sit through had they shown the 4+ hour films in the theater.

How’s Bird of Prey? I have it on Crave but like all streaming services the viewer (me) has 100% privilege and zero obligation (to return back to the video store the next day). As a result I have been watching it for the past week and still not through the first 20 minutes!!!

What a strange time we live in now, where movie studios get 'do-overs' -- when their work is poorly received the first time they get to sell it to us a second time. It's the Second Draft Era.

Well i think part of the problem is studio interference has gotten extremely worse over the years, back in the 70's-early 80s you had hardly any movies being ****ed with by studios (aka control freak producers) the most notable are

1) Blade Runner - Everyone knows the drama sorounding this movie, harrison intentionally acted terribly so they would shoot ridley's version but it failed to work we finally got it 20 years later
2) Superman 2 - Donner forced off the movie by the Salking's- Donner finally released his cut but it had too much unfinished footage, i will say i love parts of his cut- the supes and jorel parts.

In the 90s to early 2000's it less common for studios to interfere but a few notable ones:
1) Kingdom of heaven- The roadshow version simply blows away the theatrical but Scott was forced to cut out to much of the story for the theatrical by the studio
2) Daredevil- Directors cut is much better still not a great movie though but its way better then the trash theatrical

Nowadays you have alot more movies that get ****ed by studio interference
1 Fantastic 4- Director cut never saw light of day- Josh trunk was ****ing done with that **** project after dealing with studio
2 Amazing Spiderman 2 - overstuffed, they wanted everything in this ****ing movie- director just gave in to demands
3 Batman V Superman - Hacked to Pieces in post by producers Johns and Berg - unrated cut is better
4 Suicide Squad - Hacked to Pieces in post by producers Johns and Berg
5 Jostice League - enough has been said with what down with this atrocity
6 TROS - We all know there is another longer cut of the movie out there
7) TLJ - Its here because all of the swg agenda's Ruin pushed for KK and his deconstruction of our male heroes and archetypes in favor of promoting the force is female agenda

Just to name of few but most of them are huge blockbuster movies not just run of the mill crap so the interference leads to much greater damage to brand, future profits, and the directors reputation as a filmmaker

Now the list of Directors cuts that are better then the theatrical release

1) Lord of the Rings FotR & Twin Towers (not Return of the king)
2) Blade Runner (imo of course)
3) Kingdom of Heaven
4) Doctor Sleep
5) Dawn of Justice

6) Justice League- To be determined but how can it be worse then jostice league

People are right though most directors cut's don't add **** too the movie because the movie we saw in theatrical is the directors cut. Take alien for example, fox wanted Scott to release a directors cut his response was that is the Directors cut (cause he had no studio interference) but they still wanted it so he went in an added some footage that didn't add anything to the story. These types of directors cuts are worthless but they arise due to a different reason- mainly the studio wanting to cash in on a double dip (blu ray/4k or digital copy). Scott would never have released the Alien director cut or special addition had he not been pressured into doing it by the studio. Now had the studio interferred with alien like they did his blade runner, then i guarantee he would have released his directors cut of alien some years down the line, whether it took 20 years like blade runner- but in this case it is the best cut of the movie and would most definitely change how everyone viewed alien had the theatrical (e.g. his directors cut) been butchered by the studio.

Hopefully i explained myself well enough here lol but there is a difference between the studio forcing a director to add some worthless scenes in order to "sell" a so called "directors cut" to consumers for double dip purposes, and the studio's destruction of the directors vision which leads to the Director himself/herself releasing a "directors cut" which would have been the theatrical cut had the studio not hacked their movie to pieces in post production to the point that the their original vision was lost and it was no longer their movie

Oh no.... is Gunn going to pull a Whedon?

I hate to believe that but he may have bitten off more than he can screw with this one.

On a positive note, it can't be worse than the last Harley Quinn movie. That dreck was unwatchable.

That movie was pretty bad. Honestly in the last 10 years DC movies are just plain terrible, save for a couple of recent ones.

James Gunn is creative, and will be given a wide birth...so we will see what happens. Based on the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some horror/body horror elements mixed in, which could be very interesting and right up Gunn's alley.

There is a chance based on elements I have seen for this to be the best DC movie since the Dark Knight. Overly optimistic, but from what we have seen of the characters, villain and director I am optimistic. And this is coming from somebody who basically does not like any DC movie that has Henry Cavill in it (not his fault.)

Last edited:
I still don?t understand the dawn of justice director cut being better. Thought it still sucked.

I dont feel like typing out all the reasons why its a better film again so im just going to link this critics review. If thats not enough there is plenty more comparison reviews from critics most all of them like the unrated cut way better

https://youtu.be/mqhPVeDqRg8

This one explains why its better in a much more concise way so you dont have to watch or read a long winded ****ing comparison video or thesis paper lol

Yawn of Justice

Lol you dont like anything new but solo and thats more of aN elseworlds borefest then dawn of justice since you cant get passed the mental block of fake han. Ill take original supes and batman over seeing that fake harrison ford any day. He cant act for **** and is no harrison ford. Yes the movie felt more like star wars then tlj and tros but fake han just killed it

Lol you dont like anything new but solo and thats more of aN elseworlds borefest then dawn of justice since you cant get passed the mental block of fake han. Ill take original supes and batman over your fake harrison ford any day

I saw the 'improved' version and it's ... yeah it's improved but the bar was very low to begin with. It's not a good film, IMO. I'm not a Snyder hater, Man of Steel holds up surprisingly well, outside of a couple weird flaws you can find in any superhero film.

I saw the 'improved' version and it's ... yeah it's improved but the bar was very low to begin with. It's not a good film, IMO. I'm not a Snyder hater, Man of Steel holds up surprisingly well, outside of a couple weird flaws you can find in any superhero film.

The point is it is much better then theatrical cut and if that was released in theaters instead of the hacked up theatrical cut it Would not have had a 28% rotten score From critics before it even released in theaters. The whole thing would have been perceieved differently had the directors cut ( real theatrical cut had been released) instead of the ****** chopped up, hack job mess that was the theatrical cut

Just watch that short 6 minute review/comparison

I don?t need to watch it. I agree that the longer cut is better. I also like the three main heroes. But for me that movie is a case of the whole being decidedly less than the sum of its parts (i.e., those heroes). It was a messy, ill-conceived attempt to jump start the DCEU in the hopes of achieving MCU level success without MCU level effort. IMO

I don?t need to watch it. I agree that the longer cut is better. I also like the three main heroes. But for me that movie is a case of the whole being decidedly less than the sum of its parts (i.e., those heroes). It was a messy, ill-conceived attempt to jump start the DCEU in the hopes of achieving MCU level success without MCU level effort. IMO

Like end game, listen not every movie is perfect and i understand that the unrated cut doesnt just make it a masterpiece of filmmaking, what im saying is first impressions are everything and that movie was hacked to pieces in post production with major story arcs being cut out for no reason other then johns and berg trying to sabotage the film and it worked. It was complete crap the unrated cut while long is not, its a much better film then what we got in the theaters even if its not a masterpiece. Not many superhero movies are masterpieces. Zack puts a lot of effort and detail into his movies, take the apocalypse scene from his new justice league trailer, examine the scene closely you will be suprised how much detail and easter eggs he stuffs into a simple scene like that. Yes that same joker card floating in the air was on batmans riffle in the dawn of justice apocalypse scene but thats not all the easter eggs or connecting threads that are in that short clip. So when you cut out 30minutes from a snyder movie your cutting out a crap ton of story elements and connecting threads. He shoots long movies its the way he has always been, great attention to detail but his movies are not for everyone. If you like transformers type movies avoid zack snyder

Lol you dont like anything new but solo and thats more of aN elseworlds borefest then dawn of justice since you cant get passed the mental block of fake han. Ill take original supes and batman over seeing that fake harrison ford any day. He cant act for **** and is no harrison ford. Yes the movie felt more like star wars then tlj and tros but fake han just killed it

You have much in common with Khev -- you both love certain characters so deeply that you are willing to accept trash as long as they are in it and you can somehow drill out some continuity and long-winded connections.

Sometimes a bad movie is just bad. I love Indy but I would never defend Crystal Skull. Nor do I think there's a masterpiece hidden inside it.

And I can understand liking a bad movie. I like Batman '89 but its truly a horrible movie. Great design, great art direction, great style... really poor filmmaking and storytelling.

I'm not sure how I got Solo under my belt, especially when you say I like nothing new. That might be somewhat true.

You have much in common with Khev -- you both love certain characters so deeply that you are willing to accept trash as long as they are in it and you can somehow drill out some continuity and long-winded connections.

Sometimes a bad movie is just bad. I love Indy but I would never defend Crystal Skull. Nor do I think there's a masterpiece hidden inside it.

Hmm i cannot argue with this but i have feeling i should be. Yes i love indy too but hates crystal skull just like you, however in all fariness thats what steven and george gave us they didnt have any producers ****ing up Up thier movie. They have no one to blame for why it was so bad other then themselves- no excuses it was all on them

Sorry, I added a little more while you were responding I guess.

As to Lucas and Spielberg, I guess its like Nolan says, stick around long enough you ruin everything. When Snyder tries to do it again in 15 years, you too shall see.

Back