Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

Not sure about anybody else... but I love it. I always like to see the journey!

One of my favorite scenes in the whole franchise. I truly admire this build, especially since i do not have the space or time to put one together. Progress shots are always welcome. This is coming along great!

One of my favorite scenes in the whole franchise. I truly admire this build, especially since i do not have the space or time to put one together. Progress shots are always welcome. This is coming along great!

Thanks. If I wasn’t currently off work, and slowly recovering from shoulder surgery, I probably wouldn’t have the time, either. Luckily none of this stuff weighs much, but at the end of the day I’m still pretty sore, though.

More elements finished -- some still need some work. Finished construction on the risers for the band and the Han in Carbonite area. Pretty basic box for the band. The steps leading up to Han were a PITA -- and as you can see from the under-carriage, there is a certain amount of gap "behind the scenes" on the steps -- oddly, it's pretty solid, and doesn't have issue from the visible point. The steps were a bit of a challenge as the risers are only 1/2" high -- very shallow. The trick was making each step that 1/2" higher than the previous one, while still accounting for the thickness of the wood. I've never had to make steps before, and after this T&E, I'm going to try something different for the steps around the throne. The holes in the angled wall with the doorway behind the band riser are not for birds to enter; it's to have lights shining down on the band. My guess is they used regular studio lights, but then they covered them with a semi-circular dome. I need to figure out how to make that same sort of cover to hide the round hole -- the square pieces behind the holes are to help angle/direct the light.

IMG_7711 copy.jpg

IMG_7713 copy.jpg

IMG_7712 copy.jpg

IMG_7714 copy.jpg

A couple pics with the elements added (the section to the side of the Han display is drying at the moment):

IMG_7715 copy.jpg

IMG_7717 copy.jpg

Thanks.

Here's the window element in action. The tag board top is temporary -- I just wanted to test the light (there'll be 2 of them inside); I see I need to paint the interior black before I finish the top and the arch behind this smaller decorative arch.

IMG_7722 copy.jpg

Finished up another arch. Had to wire up the lights ahead of time in the mini decorative arch -- the big arch and the small one aren't glued together, and there is enough open space between the two that I can still get in there and change the lights out if one/both ever burn out. The black part above the mini arch, on the bigger arch, is paint, not a gap. Decided against using real wood for the curve on the top of the smaller arch -- too tight of a curve -- and since the entire surface is going to be covered by paintable, and textured, wallpaper -- it won't matter what's underneath it (hopefully).

IMG_7726 copy.jpg

In the event my above explanation wasn't clear: here's a "behind the scenes" of the behind the scenes pic of how the two arches look:

IMG_7727.jpg

Super stuff! Thanks for sharing all the "behind the scenes" pictures.

Love the updates and where you are taking this massive project!
For any light leaks, you can use black paper tape (used in TV/movies production) or there is also a black fabric paint that helps block out light - i forget the brand name, but some modelers have used it. Keep them update shots coming...

Super stuff! Thanks for sharing all the "behind the scenes" pictures.

Love the updates and where you are taking this massive project!
For any light leaks, you can use black paper tape (used in TV/movies production) or there is also a black fabric paint that helps block out light - i forget the brand name, but some modelers have used it. Keep them update shots coming...

Thanks, fellas. And thanks for the tape tip (say that five times fast), D.R.37, I found some on Amazon, and I’ll be ordering that.

https://www.amazon.com/ProTapes-Cre...=gateway&sprefix=Black+paper+t,aps,176&sr=8-3

Thanks, Dennis.

Currently working on the steps to the right of Jabba's dais, so while I'm waiting for the glue to dry, I started adding the textured wallpaper to one of the arches.

IMG_7728.jpg

That wallpaper looks GREAT! Wish I would have thought of that instead of texturing the whole thing by hand.

So cool watching this coming together.

Thanks. I actually stole the idea from a 3.75” figure dio that someone built several years ago on the rebelscum forum. If I hadn’t seen that, I probably would have just painted the wood — I’m pretty lazy that way— I wouldn’t have had the patience to texture by hand.

Back