Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

Excellent start so far!

As far as the texture on the front of the stairs, I used a vinyl drawer liner that I picked up from Ikea (I think!)... I do remember that I did order it online... got that idea from someone here on this board. Check them out to see if you can find it. If not, let me know and I'll see if I have any of the ordering info for it.

It has a nice raised dot pattern... looks good installed on the stair fronts.

I’ll check them out. Thanks for the tip.

I dug up the old order email... yep was Ikea... they still have it.

Drop VARIERA Drawer mat, clear into the search box on their site.

Ikea drawer liner.jpg

I dug up the old order email... yep was Ikea... they still have it.

Drop VARIERA Drawer mat, clear into the search box on their site.

View attachment 448198

Excellent, found it. Thanks. That site is so weird, I typed in drawer liner originally and a few options (other than those) popped up.

The grid pattern I chose isn't 100% accurate to the actual thing, but it was on the steps. I'm pretty sure it was some form of a safety feature for all the folks underneath costumes with limited visibility.

Hard to find enough photos of the steps in good lighting as examples:

View attachment 448181
View attachment 448182

As far as the floor, I'm looking into the idea of using model/crafting sand -- not the real thing -- as the real stuff would have grains too big for this size, I'm hoping the stuff model railroaders use will be closer to what I want.

You mean like sand that is finer than real sand??

m.

You mean like sand that is finer than real sand??

m.

Yep. You can generally find it at hobby stores that cater to model railroad builders, or cars. It’s by a company called Woodland Scenics. It’s a fine powder like stuff (almost like flour).

While waiting for materials to show up so I can start the build, I decided to play around with a lighting option for the more subdued lights found around the throne room. Went to a Model Railroad supply store and talked with the owner about what he thought would be my best options for lighting this thing, since I know next to nothing about what it would take. He was really helpful, and told me what I wanted to do was actually pretty easy, but would probably require a couple different power supply options (since some lights need to be brighter than others). I bought a cheap power supply with a dimmer switch, a distribution board, and a package of incandescent bulbs (NOT LEDs), which I think will actually work great. Since none of the lights are going to be visible, I plan to use some of those colored gel filters Photographers use to change the color of the bulb. He also gave me a great tip for the white "sky-lights", that you see over things like the Rancor Pit grating, so I'm actually going to use unseen puck lights for those -- but in order to get the light to leave a perfect circle on the floor, it needs to be shown through a cylinder. As an experiment, I used a slightly shortened empty toilet paper roll with the puck lights I have in my display cabinets, and it worked perfectly -- now I need to go to the bathroom a lot to get more. :lol

Attachments

• _DSC3129.jpg
    _DSC3129.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 205
  • _DSC3128.jpg
    _DSC3128.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 206
  • _DSC3127.jpg
    _DSC3127.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 204
  • _DSC3126.jpg
    _DSC3126.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 201
  • _DSC3125.jpg
    _DSC3125.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 203

Construction has begun -- not progressing very fast, but it takes a while to cut and glue all these pieces together (mostly the gluing process) -- and I'm not working all that fast, as I don't want to rush and get something wrong. Anyway, here's a section of the walls to the right of the Jabba throne stairs. The hole is going to be covered with a grate and a couple of colored gel filters where a light will shine through.
The other piece is the base behind the throne -- the sides of this will be covered with the textured dots that were on all the stairs. Like I said, nothing fancy at this point. The wall at an angle is 1/8" thick Balsa wood, and the other two walls (the narrow one to the right, and the one with the hole are 1/4" Bass plywood. The section behind the throne is all 1/8" balsa wood -- since it's not load bearing, it doesn't need to be super strong. Since most of these craft boards have a tendency to warp, I had to attach struts to the backs of them to get the boards to be flat. The block behind the throne has struts running in the middle of it to keep the pieces straight so they wouldn't bow (much like the studs in the walls of a house).

_DSC3168 copy.jpg
_DSC3169 copy.jpg
_DSC3170.JPG
_DSC3171.jpg

Looks like a great start. Early-phase rough construction is always my favorite part of dio building. The closer I get to the end the more nervous I get!

Looks like a great start. Early-phase rough construction is always my favorite part of dio building. The closer I get to the end the more nervous I get!

Thanks. And I hear you... I’m already trying to figure out ways to put the ceiling on (to hide the lights), and I’m not even a quarter of the way to that point.

A great start and really nice attention to detail.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Made a measurement error on the main arch over Jabba's throne initially.

IMG_7694 copy.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

Slow going. I corrected my measurement error on the width of the arch by cutting it in half at the center & removing that 1/4" inch; re-glued, and now working on the interior skeleton -- waiting for glue to set is a very slow process; in the meantime, I ended up making the arch that butts up against the main arch and the steps -- only half of it was needed. It's higher than the throne arch, as I didn't wan't an obstruction in the front of the display. I have three other arch structural/skeleton pieces made for Jabba's arch, now waiting for the glue to dry. Once all the pieces are fitted properly, then the work of sanding, etc. will commence.

IMG_7698 copy.jpg

IMG_7699.jpg

And a quick lighting test on the previously built wall (the one to the right of steps by Jabba's throne):

IMG_7700.jpg

Finished up the main arch over Jabba's throne last night. (Added one little piece this morning to be able to add a light).

_DSC3180 copy.jpg

_DSC3181 copy.jpg

Finished up the main arch over Jabba's throne last night. (Added one little piece this morning to be able to add a light).

View attachment 451086

View attachment 451087

That is some big diorama...!!
I don't know whether to envy you because of your skills, or because of the enormous space you have at your disposal... It should be both, I guess!!

This is the only way 1/6 figs should be exposed: not as isolated icons in thin cabinets but as real living beings in real environments, interacting with other figures and accessories, creating synergies for enhanced beauty and increased ROI.

I hope one day I'll be able to follow your steps, if not to build dioramas at least to make the custom pieces of furniture that will contain the less ambitious, but also quite big dioramas I envision.
...one day... :-/

ANYWAY, THIS JOURNEY IS GOING TO BE EPIC.

m.

That is some big diorama...!!
I don't know whether to envy you because of your skills, or because of the enormous space you have at your disposal... It should be both, I guess!!

This is the only way 1/6 figs should be exposed: not as isolated icons in thin cabinets but as real living beings in real environments, interacting with other figures and accessories, creating synergies for enhanced beauty and increased ROI.

I hope one day I'll be able to follow your steps, if not to build dioramas at least to make the custom pieces of furniture that will contain the less ambitious, but also quite big dioramas I envision.
...one day... :-/

ANYWAY, THIS JOURNEY IS GOING TO BE EPIC.

m.

Thanks. But don’t be too envious of my skills — it’s been a lot of trial and (even more) error. As far as the “space” — yeah, my wife says I’m “spoiled” — I say 43 years of busting my hump has finally paid off. :impatient: :lol

Looking awesome so far....it’s going to be an epic diorama!

Thank you... and... I hope so! :wink1:

Digging the behind the scenes construction shots. Good Stuff!

Back