Steve McQueen - The Great Escape - from Star Ace

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Star Ace have just brought out the deluxe version of this - which is rather annoying. If I'd known, I would've held off for it. No way I'm buying two.

I'm a huge fan of Star Ace, but this takes the p*ss. Especially as they've only just brought it out - makes zero sense. I hope they don't pull this stunt with the HP line.

If it's any consolation at least we get a better base. That's there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing figure-= HS quality is terrific and tailoring/clothes are superb- the leather jacket is very very nice and fits so well. The hands are the only weak point- not as nice as HT hands.
Hope BULITT is next- heck the HS can be the same really

Necro post incoming.

Virgil Hilts was from Star Ace's golden era, before the dark times. I still like the figure a lot, but he's never had a proper place in the collection. Can't even remember what encouraged me to buy him, as The Great Escape has never been high on my list of favourite films.

Since I decided to move out of the 1930s Indiana Jones trilogy inspired era and fully into WWII, I've been wondering about Virgil again. Where will he fit in the collection? Will he even fit in the collection?

At the moment there's two main WWII areas: Soviet female military personnel and Germans in the North African campaign (Afrika Korps and Luftwaffe).

I happened across this video about Captain David Mudgett Jones, who was the real life inspiration for Virgil Hilts, which will no doubt be old news for many:

There it is, the North African connection. It's a very tenuous link, but it gave me the idea to display him as a newly taken POW with the North African Luftwaffe.

I lifted this biography from Wikipedia and edited it a little:

Captain David Mudgett Jones took part in the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo in April 1942. Lacking the fuel to make a safe landing after the raid he bailed out over China, where he was assisted by the Chinese people in evading capture. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross for his participation as a flight commander in the planning, training and completion of the mission. After escaping capture, Jones was flown to India, where he spent three months with the 22nd Bomb Squadron flying further B-25 missions against the Japanese.

In September 1942, Jones was assigned to the new 319th Bombardment Group, preparing for combat in North Africa. He was assigned to develop low-level bombing tactics and techniques due to his experience with the Doolittle project and his belief in low-level bombing tactics.

On December 4, 1942, he was shot down over Bizerte, Tunisia, and spent two and a half years as a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft III. As a result of his constant agitation and harassment of the enemy, he was selected for the "escape committee" by fellow prisoners. The committee reviewed escape plans and directed escapes. Jones led the digging team on tunnel "Harry" used in the Great Escape, chronicled in Paul Brickhill's autobiographical book, and portrayed in the 1963 film. After his liberation in April 1945, Jones was commended for leadership among his fellow prisoners.

What! - sacrilege !!!!!! burn the witch!

Seriously though - thanks for the info - interesting read, and I've bookmarked the video for later.

I mean, I've liked it whenever I've watched it, but it's not a movie I think of as 'figure worthy'. It must've been the Steve McQueen angle that got me to order, and the unique aspect of the baseball and glove.

I mean, I've liked it whenever I've watched it, but it's not a movie I think of as 'figure worthy'. It must've been the Steve McQueen angle that got me to order, and the unique aspect of the baseball and glove.

The film is in my top 20 of all-time. The theme music gives me chills every time I hear it. One of those films I HAVE to watch if I stumble over it.

I only found out about the figure when it was too late to get it on release (would have got the DX version).

Came REAL close to paying silly aftermarket prices but then calmed myself down :)

Just watched the video.

What an incredible story, told by the man himself, with all the class & poise of the movie itself.

Illustrated with real-life photos and videos + appropriate bits from the movie (that segment with the "rest break" and the machine gun still shakes me up every time I see it - so perfectly filmed :cry: ) . . . this was an unexpected gem I'll be sharing on other forums.

What an amazing life this man led - including AFTER the war with further assignments & piloting, and NASA involvement. A true American hero.

This is a must-watch for everyone who wants to see where some of the inspiration for the movie (and "Hilts") came from.

Thanks SO much again (y)

Necro post incoming.

Virgil Hilts was from Star Ace's golden era, before the dark times. I still like the figure a lot, but he's never had a proper place in the collection. Can't even remember what encouraged me to buy him, as The Great Escape has never been high on my list of favourite films.

I've always loved the film. It's one of those movies that doesn't even seem long and after watching it, a day seems to have passed by, lol.
I never picked up this figure, but i did pick up the headsculpt for a potential Bullitt custom that hasn't materialised yet.

Back