Stephen Sommers Fired From GI Joe!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question on Gary oldman. Would he be willing to NEVER show his face?
The auidence should NEVEr see the commander unmasked. A little tease here or there, but NEVER unmasked on screen.
We already know from V that Weaving would do this if it's part of the character.

And as for Marlon Wayans. No, I think He's fine for GI joe, just Cast as the wrong character.

Marlon Wayans Should Be Alpine.

the problem with Weaving is that he'd be entirely wrong for the role of cobra commander...

Oldman would be great though...

Again, all that really matters with cobra commander is the ability to be him physicaly. Convey emotion through body language, And eyes for the hood. They might even likely Dub-over his voice. As great an actor as Gary oldman is, he's allways struck me as somewhat Vain, and I just don't see him going for that, or never showing his face.

I'd be perfectly willing to admit i'm mistaken in that, But i really think i'm not.

Oldman might not be willing to act out the whole part and never show his face, but maybe they could pull a Darth Vader, and have someone else act it out with him doing the voice in post-production?

Is that the big draw with Oldman? His voice? He kind of looks like the comic Cobra Commander under the hood, I suppose.

that's the thing. In a live action move, Cobra commander needs to be treated the SMAE way as V was in V for Vendetta, Or Boba Fett In Star Wars. NEVER SHOW HIS FACE. It's how he's always been handled, and it's how they need to KEEP handling him. It's part of his thing that you Don't get to see it.

DPrime's question also makes me wonder, What is it aboutoldman that makes him right for the part, and Makes Weaving Wrong for the part?

Granted, the only reasons I'm sugesting Weaving, is
1)I Like the actor
2) I know he's got enough respect for A Character to BECOME that character in every aspect ( like not showing his face) If the role calls for it.
3) Remember his emotional detachement as Elrond? imagine that as Cobra commander... untill he looses his cool, and then replace the Emotionaly detched guy with Angry agent smith from the matrix. I think it would make for a fascinating character.

Again, all that really matters with cobra commander is the ability to be him physicaly. Convey emotion through body language, And eyes for the hood. They might even likely Dub-over his voice. As great an actor as Gary oldman is, he's allways struck me as somewhat Vain, and I just don't see him going for that, or never showing his face.

I'd be perfectly willing to admit i'm mistaken in that, But i really think i'm not.

i disagree... IMHO the thing that really matters about cobra commander is the voice..

if all that mattered was the physicality i would recommend Ed Norton based on his amazing masked performance in Kingdom of heaven... but i don't think his voice fits the character of cobra commander very well... although he'd probably manage to pull it off really well anyway...

same with weaving... his voice and manner and style of line delivery is all wrong for the role...

Oldman seems to be more suited to the role... although perhaps a bit too old now...

maybe someone like James Marsters...

Voice is unimportant. ESPECIALY since he's a masked character, al the voice would need to be recorded again and dubbed back in. they could very Eaisly replace his voice with someone more suited, like the voice actor from resolute for example.

Essentialy, to make the best Cobra commander possible, they need to "darth Vader" him.

Voice is unimportant. ESPECIALY since he's a masked character, al the voice would need to be recorded again and dubbed back in. they could very Eaisly replace his voice with someone more suited, like the voice actor from resolute for example.

Essentialy, to make the best Cobra commander possible, they need to "darth Vader" him.

no "real" actor is going to consent to having his voice dubbed over by someone else...

so you can pretty much cross any one you ever heard of off the list to fill the suit if they are going to do that...

Hey, not saying it's going to happen (Becuase it won't) Simply mulling over ideas that would have been better than the trainwreck that we are getting.

But even so, It might be neet to have a les Raspy, Lisp-having Commander for a change. In the comics, he never really came across that way, and IMO, the comics is where they should have been drawing from.

Hey, not saying it's going to happen (Becuase it won't) Simply mulling over ideas that would have been better than the trainwreck that we are getting.

But even so, It might be neet to have a les Raspy, Lisp-having Commander for a change. In the comics, he never really came across that way, and IMO, the comics is where they should have been drawing from.

I don't mean that he should sound like the voice from the old cartoon... I HATED that voice...

but the comic character has a certain characterization that should be upheld in the voice acting...

especially considering that in any of the canonical masks he wears the most facial expression the audience will see is the eyes...

here's a left field casting choice that might work....

Sam Rockwell...

he's got a sort of slick used car salesmen vibe with a dangerous "just might snap and slit your throat" kind of edge...

There hasn't been much new, as they stopped after wave 13 which came out last year, I believe (the new Resolute and "classic" 5 packs, as well as the last line of vehicles may have been released after that, though).

Supposedly Hasbro said they were sitting on the "Best of the 80s" sets in their warehouses, and were eventually shipping them out, though I haven't followed up on that.

Where are you seeing Alley Viper, btw?

Scratch the "alley." It's just the Viper.

I just found a post I made in 2007 on yojoe about the casting, before we knew who was going to be cast. In hindsight, I think it would have been a step up.

Note to movie studio: potential cast for GI Joe: the Movie, directed by man who made Mummy and Van Helsing, written by writer of Epic Movie, produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura:

Duke: Donny Wahlberg
Snake Eyes: Chris Tucker (with voice! It would be funny because in the cartoons and comics he never talks and is stoic, and Chris Tucker screams a lot as Snake Eyes, runs around when scared, etc. Hilarious!)
Roadblock: Anthony Anderson
Flint: Fred Savage
Grunt: Randy Quaid
Beachhead: Tom Arnold
Scarlett: Lindsay Lohan
Doc: Bernie Mac

Cobra Commander: John Travolta (he should channel both Swordfish and Battlefield: Earth characters)
Destro: Leslie Nielson
Baroness: Sandra Bernhardt (channeling character from Hudson Hawk)
Firefly: Carrot Top (his wacky comedic props could be bombs--he should not wear a mask)
Storm Shadow: Andrew "Dice" Clay
Zartan: fat guy from Mad TV

--the rest of the cast should be made up of other cast members from Mad TV--

Your first choice for Duke is the wrong Wahlberg brother. But your cast selection failed epically at the bolded part and I couldn't continue reading. Do you work for Hasbro? :p

Last edited:
Your first choice for Duke is the wrong Wahlberg brother.
Sorry, but despite his Oscar-caliber performance in "the Happening," I'm afraid that Donny would be the better fit.

And I think the main flaw in this movie is that there aren't enough Mad TV actors. If you are going to make a crap movie, go balls-out!

Better idea, just get this guy to play everyone.
he already makes a pretty good Cobra commander without his mask

frankcaliendo.jpg

Kevin Spacey as CC would have been awesome...Imagine that..You see him in the Intro at the beginning of the movie as an average man who gets fired from his job,loses his wife,his brother dies in car accident, then you see him gradually become demented (like in Seven) and giving speech at rally and creating his Cobra organisation..then movie begins...that would have been a great opening sequence.

Kevin Spacey as CC would have been awesome...Imagine that..You see him in the Intro at the beginning of the movie as an average man who gets fired from his job,loses his wife,his brother dies in car accident, then you see him gradually become demented (like in Seven) and giving speech at rally and creating his Cobra organisation..then movie begins...that would have been a great opening sequence.

I'd just keep waiting for Lex Luthor to scream "WRONG!"...

My suggestions for COBRA COMMANDER . . .

Ray Liotta
John Malkovich
Bryan Cranston

I think Kevin Spacey would have made a worthy COBRA COMMANDER.

My preference? Get a no name to be Cobra Commander, never ever take the mask off and let Charlie Adler voice it since he did a great job in Resolute. My first choice would have been for Chris Latta to voice it but that isn't possible of course.

Back