Star Wars vs Star Trek: I've just traded allegiance.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whycomingtothread.gif

Last edited:
I grew up on Star Wars, and Star Trek just didn't look interesting me as a kid. Star Wars had the cooler looking aliens, weapons, ships, etc. So I never really gave Star Trek a chance.

When I heard that J.J. Abrams was going to do the new movie I knew I'd want to check it out. Originally, my intention was to give it a rent when it came out on Blu-Ray, but I just went to my second showing today, this time in IMAX. It was even better the second time around.

I've even decided to watch the first season of the original series on Blu-Ray. While it didn't look interesting enough to me when I was a kid, perhaps I'll be able to appreciate it more now.

I doubt I'll ever enjoy Star Trek as much as I enjoy Star Wars, but I don't see any reason someone can't be a fan of both. I'm looking forward to experiencing the original series and I can't wait for the next film.

Also, I figured this thread would be an appropriate place to link to an article at IGN that points out the similarities between the Star Trek reboot and Star Wars:

https://movies.ign.com/articles/982/982293p1.html

I grew up on Star Wars, and Star Trek just didn't look interesting me as a kid. Star Wars had the cooler looking aliens, weapons, ships, etc. So I never really gave Star Trek a chance.

When I heard that J.J. Abrams was going to do the new movie I knew I'd want to check it out. Originally, my intention was to give it a rent when it came out on Blu-Ray, but I just went to my second showing today, this time in IMAX. It was even better the second time around.

I've even decided to watch the first season of the original series on Blu-Ray. While it didn't look interesting enough to me when I was a kid, perhaps I'll be able to appreciate it more now.

I doubt I'll ever enjoy Star Trek as much as I enjoy Star Wars, but I don't see any reason someone can't be a fan of both. I'm looking forward to experiencing the original series and I can't wait for the next film.

Also, I figured this thread would be an appropriate place to link to an article at IGN that points out the similarities between the Star Trek reboot and Star Wars:

https://movies.ign.com/articles/982/982293p1.html

I've read in several places about this and it just doesn't fly. Most of it is a stretch and a half. Some SW fans are claiming it rips off Star Wars and I just don't see it at all.

Besides, Star Wars doesn't have lens flares! :lol

This might clear up why more than a few Star Wars fans have suddenly fallen in love with Star Trek. Its been said before but worth noting how this loose comparison has sparked the same love that was sparked since 1977.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUUhTgWpjSc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUUhTgWpjSc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think it's a stretch to say that they "lifted the plot" of Star Wars. Most of the similarities are pretty superficial and only sound damning if you list them up in a video like that. The true connections with Star Wars aren't with plot points, but with the overall approach, which is certainly a bit of a departure from previous Trek movies.

I've read in several places about this and it just doesn't fly. Most of it is a stretch and a half. Some SW fans are claiming it rips off Star Wars and I just don't see it at all.

Besides, Star Wars doesn't have lens flares! :lol

I'd say there were some influences, but I wouldn't say it was ripping off SW.

Wow, that video said it all. Now I know why I got that old Star Wars feel from it. This movie was everything cool about Star Wars and Star Trek. There just weren't any droids in Trek.:lol

Now that I'm watching all the old Star Trek movies, I'm amazed at how much resaerch the writers did. There are so many things in the new movie that show things only talked about in the old movies, like the Kobyashi Maru test first talked about in Wrath of Khan (spelling?) As soon as I'm done with all the OG cast movies, I'm so seeing the new one again. I love Star Trek Wars!:banana

Sad that it took lifting the plot of SW ANH to "reboot" ST....

Well I wouldn't say lifted. Remember a few years ago with the same video was posted comparing Lord of the Rings and Star Wars in almost the same way? I remember reading this same idea again with Harry Potter and Star Wars not too long ago only instead of Han it was Hermoine.

All I'm saying is if you can see something you love in something else despite genre or despite time or era, its pretty indicative that they hit something really special and fans naturally flock.

I think it's a stretch to say that they "lifted the plot" of Star Wars. Most of the similarities are pretty superficial and only sound damning if you list them up in a video like that. The true connections with Star Wars aren't with plot points, but with the overall approach, which is certainly a bit of a departure from previous Trek movies.

Ha! No kidding. More than a stretch.

Sure, there are similarities, but you can say that about a lot of things. By those standards, it's not like Star Wars was all that original to begin with either.

I have always loved both equally. The worst thing about SW was that the prequels didn't live up to expectations. ST at least did live up the expectation for this film at least.

I've just always loved sci-fi, and both series are great examples of that genre, though totally different takes on it. One tackles things from more of a scientific approach, at a time when people needed a utopian society to dream about. The other is a space opera, basically weaving a tale of fantasy in a sci fi setting. They both have great merit, whether it be the stories or the effects or the characters. But I have always loved them both, they appeal to different sides of my personality.

I can say that I am currently more excited for Trek than Wars, but that is because we have new material that is really good. Where as Wars does not, we only have the Clone Wars, which is a huge disappointment to me. I can only hope the TV series remedies that.

The edge that Trek has over Wars is that it isn't just a single story about a single family saga. It's something that they can tell stories from for decades, and I think that it will continue on in some form for a long time. Wars is really done, unless Lucas changes his mind and starts letting people play in his sandbox. There are plenty of stories begging to be told in the SW universe, if only Uncle George would allow it. So for that reason, Trek has more ultimate potential IMO.

But I still love them both. :rock

I still love them both too.

The new ST film is a lot of fun...put together with a great energy and respect for the original material...and Abrams has admitted in interviews that he was more of a SW fan when he first started the ST project....that sure explains the heavy SW influence on the whole thing...heck, the new movie owes as much to Lucas as it does to Roddenberry. The true test here is where Abrams takes it from here...if the next one isn't as much inspired fun as this one. the tide will turn quickly...

As for SW these days....sigh. Clone Wars is starting to wear a little thin. Looking back on the whole season, there were only a handful of episodes that really stand up to repeat viewings. Ones involving primarily clones were interesting, but the "villian of the week" thing is getting old quick. Maybe Geddy had the right idea by keeping these stories short....I don't know if this show can slog on for another several years without getting into too much repetition. I'm also hoping that the forthcoming "live-action" show is something truly revolutionary for SW...a darker more intense direction in stories and characters. Let the kiddies have the CW show!

If the latest Star Trek movie is showing us anything, it's that something that was thought to be washed-up and creatively spent can be revitalized by a fresh approach to the same formula. I hope the Lucas army takes note of that and acts in kind regarding Star Wars....because there is definitely room for both to entertain and impress us...

Just saw this one tonight, and it lives up to the hype, IMO. Great movie, and I look forward to see where it goes from here.

Also, did anyone notice that guy playing Kirk has some serious acne scarring on his face? Kind of cool that despite that, the guy can be as effective a leading man as I have seen in a loooong time. In fact, I didn't even notice it really until the very end.

Black president? So what? It is truly a new world when the days of acne prejudice are behind us.

Just saw this one tonight, and it lives up to the hype, IMO. Great movie, and I look forward to see where it goes from here.

Also, did anyone notice that guy playing Kirk has some serious acne scarring on his face? Kind of cool that despite that, the guy can be as effective a leading man as I have seen in a loooong time. In fact, I didn't even notice it really until the very end.

Black president? So what? It is truly a new world when the days of acne prejudice are behind us.

Did he? I didn't really notice. If there was it blended in with all the cuts and bruises on his face. Kirk got his ass kicked and face smacked around quite a few times in this flick.

I guess the make-up department was slacking on their jobs. It's their duty to fool us into thinking actors are impervious to pimples.

Back