Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol

That is how I felt with Episode 7.. Had to wait and see if Episode 8 would help me like 7 more.. It did not.

Now I have to wait for 9 to see if it will redeem 7 and 8 :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I get what Maul is saying about his personal experience but I would have to agree with your funny yet accurate statement.

Honestly if this was their plan all along then it backfired on them.

Everyone including me had speculated for years about what everyones arcs and plot outcomes were going to be and they took a huge risk going against that and are now paying a dear price for it from a certain point of view.

It only gets worse when you factor in that a part of your audience also hate that SW is now being used as a tool by liberal hypocrites and some even perceive that as a threat against their very existence.

As in wait a minute here Kennedy you actually expect me to pay you so that I can sit in a movie theater for 2 1/2 hours being lectured by your hypocritical dogma that calls for the annihilation of my family unit and species, you can go **** yourself and shove your manipulative version of SW where the sun don’t shine. :lol

Yup dark days ahead for Solo lol

All the more good that the government may squash the Disney-Fox takeover, Disney is trying to control too much.

Many share your sentiment. And even though TLJ will make bank, IMO episode 9 has serious risk of failing to break $1B if early fan reviews are bad. The TLJ box office impact should be viewed broadly in terms of the impact it has on the next several movies starting with Solo in 2018. I bet many here will vote with their wallets and not see solo in theaters. I’m interested to see the impact since RO did $1.05B, and Solo is a beloved character that should in theory do better than RO.

Wasn't planning on seeing Solo in theater anyway. Never enthused in general about these "young so and so" movies which really do feel like milking (blue) out of the gate. I'm fine where I first saw the character - ANH told me everything I needed to know in the first Solo scenes. Solo is a beloved but it was Harrison Ford's Solo that was loved. Also there are whiffs of problems with this young Solo film during production, and to me it sounds like it makes for a sloppy movie. *Meh* even if it's rumor, no-one wants to read rumors that the lead can't act.:dunno

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nobody-wants-this-han-solo-movie-anyway
In addition to the leading role woes, the film also went through the very public ousting of its directors, Chris Miller and Phil Lord. This wasn’t the case of two inexperienced directors being handed the keys to the kingdom, though. Miller and Lord have had success with the 21 Jump Street franchise and The LEGO Movie. They were also scheduled to direct The Flash for Warner Bros. before they dropped out to helm Disney’s Han Solo spinoff. But their experience lies in directing comedic films and reportedly, their penchant for going off-script and improvising (a benefit in comedy, less so in a heavily planned-out franchise) was one of the reasons they got the boot. Ron Howard will be stepping in to direct the remainder of the film, but again, it all begs the question: Why is this movie happening?

But I'll see the next SW. I like the characters and wanna see where they end up, story-wise. Even if with all the gaps in TLJ.:monkey3

Jye, I am still waiting for muh sig with Kathleen's head on Palpatine. :lol

Any longer and I charge 10% Porg tax. :lecture

One sobering thought is that even if TLJ fades pretty quickly and only ends up with around $600m domestic and $1.25B worldwide - close to a 50% drop over what TFA made worldwide - it will still take its place in the top 5 all-time highest grossing films domestically and close to the top 10 all-time highest grossing films internationally.

Among the greats -- like Avatar.

Taste has died like rock n' roll.

All the more good that the government may squash the Disney-Fox takeover, Disney is trying to control too much.

I don't care if Disney merges w. Fox - but - IMO an entertainment company that gets to big - like anything else - might start having quality control problems. There ARE huge global companies, sure. But if the MCU success is used as an example of an almost home-grown, comic-book loving managers and directors (with large budgets) churning out good-great films (IMO), how is that going to extend to an even bigger company with a larger pool of characters.

Disney has gone through upheavals before, even firing beloved corporate icons. Feige isn't getting younger. Huge companies mean delegating - just dunno if trying to control too much means losing control, in a way. I've seen posts on other boards where folks are excited about all the movies that will get churned out re the merger. But how many movies will there really be, potentially, if a SINGLE company is the one who has to fund them? 'Coz that same company is gonna want to keep its profits up, and not take a lot of risks.

I've only seen the movie once, after watching it, I wasn't thrilled. However, over time it has grown on me, and it is now one of my favorites! I am really excited to see what happens in episode 9. I loved the story between Kylo and Rey, as well as the ending for Luke. I thought everything was beautifully done. I am curious to see how they will handle and incorporate the death of Carrie Fisher into the final episode. Personally, I feel that Johnson and Abrams did justice to the Star Wars series, and am glad that they are carrying on the movies.

I've only seen the movie once, after watching it, I wasn't thrilled. However, over time it has grown on me, and it is now one of my favorites! I am really excited to see what happens in episode 9. I loved the story between Kylo and Rey, as well as the ending for Luke. I thought everything was beautifully done. I am curious to see how they will handle and incorporate the death of Carrie Fisher into the final episode. Personally, I feel that Johnson and Abrams did justice to the Star Wars series, and am glad that they are carrying on the movies.

I don't envy any director that job.:( They can't just blow it off (e.g. a non-scene where Rey is told she died or something and you never see anything, really) and I'm not comfortable with a CGI stand-in.

Guess they could film "her" at a distance doing something heroic.:(:( Other fans may disagree, but I could see her finally losing strength over the loss of Han, Luke, and now her son seems to be slipping into the dark. Perhaps Natalie Portman could be involved in a *tasteful* scene (mother and daughter reunited) somehow. I think it would be nice of NP to agree to something like that if she were asked.

I thought up a way for JJ Abrams to give the big F you back to Rian Johnson. Imagine an episode IX that starts off with Kylo in pursuit of the Falcon with it's few remaining resistance fighters on board. Cut to a scene of Spirit Luke telling spirit Yoda that even with what he had done at the end of TLJ, it wasn't enough to save the galaxy. Giddy as he was in Empire, Yoda asks again, "So certain are you?" With that Yoda disappears and is shown speaking with porgs. The porgs one by one communicate to each other even across huge distances and go into a meditative state. As each porg enters this state, reality seems to bend. The rebels on the Falcon notice a temporal shift but cannot pinpoint what's causing it. We find out that each porg is a part of the force but collectively has the force ability to alter time itself. More and more porgs add their presence, reality continues to bend. Luke starts to fade and can't figure out why. Just as Kylo is about to fire on the Falcon, the Falcon disappears. All the porgs save for two, a male and female still on Ach-To, become one with the force. This was a feat that can never be attempted again for many generations and risks the very existence of the porg race. Luke awakens and to his surprise, finds himself back at his Jedi Academy. Wasn't this all destroyed he asks himself? A young Ben Solo enters his hut asking if training will begin soon. Luke realizes that time has reverted and somehow he is back to the real world, given another chance to right a very large wrong...... This would be a huge opportunity for JJ to basically say to Rian, you threw away all my plot points so i am throwing away yours, also saving the franchise in the process. They could continue using the phrase, "This isn't going to end the way you think it is!" in trailers. And one of Rian's own creation, porgs, would be the thing that undoes his hideous movie. Just a thought anyways.

:yess:

Among the greats -- like Avatar.

Taste has died like rock n' roll.

821daa526ac10f5f25d5c827b557ff17.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It only gets worse when you factor in that a part of your audience also hate that SW is now being used as a tool by liberal hypocrites and some even perceive that as a threat against their very existence.

As in wait a minute here Kennedy you actually expect me to pay you so that I can sit in a movie theater for 2 1/2 hours being lectured by your hypocritical dogma that calls for the annihilation of my family unit and species, you can go **** yourself and shove your manipulative version of SW where the sun don’t shine. :lol

It's just a spark, but it'll light the fire... eventually. Episode IX will likely flash forward to Rey training Broom Boy and the next generation of Jedi (conveniently explaining Leia's absence).

As someone who liked the prequels for being different, I admire Johnson's efforts to reimagine SW. Only he may have tried too hard/gone too far and lost the essence of what defines the saga.

Once again, how did the First Order catch the New Republic with their pants down?

I think Lucasfilm has fallen TOO much on replicating A New Hope that now the Sequels are again trapped in the classic Empire vs. Rebels storyline with characters in between. I don’t know how far Kennedy and her gang went with reviewing potential scripts but I feel they’ve gone the wrong direction.

I honestly would’ve rather seen Skywalker’s reestablishment of the Jedi Order, the initial emergence of Snoke and the First Order (or perhaps another enemy all-together, let’s not do the Empire 2.0), and those initial battles rather than what we’re seeing now. I’m also very disappointed in Luke’s portrayal despite Hamill’s terrific acting. This is not like the Luke I remember and I agree with a lot of the points about veering the character off from how we know he is. Even in the Star Wars books...he’s written with much more resolve than this.

I don’t think Star Wars is ruined, but I’m not relating with how the story is going. Rey is the only interesting character because the focus is on her, and I waver in trying to figure out Kylo as a compelling villain. He’s Whiny Anakin 2.0 at times to me. Like Snoke says, he lacks conviction...and in that, as the audience, I doubt him as a convincing villain and much more a vindictive, revenge driven kid with big toys.

I get what Maul is saying about his personal experience but I would have to agree with your funny yet accurate statement.

Honestly if this was their plan all along then it backfired on them.

Everyone including me had speculated for years about what everyones arcs and plot outcomes were going to be and they took a huge risk going against that and are now paying a dear price for it from a certain point of view.

Yup dark days ahead for Solo lol

:lol that's a pretty good analysis. IMO they can get this back on track if KK is replaced, JJ somehow saves episode 9 and the new trilogy is taken away from Ruin Johnson. But that's a lot of "ifs"

Kylo does not come off as a villain at all, as you said, he's more like a rebellious child with a lot of power at his disposal and he's taken out his emotions on the galaxy and the people he's feeling them towards happen to be on the "good side" and the only true villain at this point really is Hux, who isn't really being developed.

I waver in trying to figure out Kylo as a compelling villain. He’s Whiny Anakin 2.0 at times to me. Like Snoke says, he lacks conviction...and in that, as the audience, I doubt him as a convincing villain and much more a vindictive, revenge driven kid with big toys.

well said. Kylo is a hormonal teenage boy who's completely unconvincing as the "Supreme Leader" of the Empire, and even worse as a supposed Sith Lord proxy.

But this is exactly how KK wants to portray the male leads in this movie, either as emotionally unstable and dangerous like kylo, or hot headed and unreliable like poe, or as silly comedy relief like Finn. Show me one male lead role in this movie that serves as a role model for young boys?

I honestly would’ve rather seen Skywalker’s reestablishment of the Jedi Order, the initial emergence of Snoke and the First Order (or perhaps another enemy all-together, let’s not do the Empire 2.0)

That would have been great.

Kylo does not come off as a villain at all, as you said, he's more like a rebellious child with a lot of power at his disposal and he's taken out his emotions on the galaxy and the people he's feeling them towards happen to be on the "good side" and the only true villain at this point really is Hux, who isn't really being developed.

Yes. Kylo is the huge question mark for me going forward. I just don't buy him as a main villain whatsoever.
If the Emperor had died in Empire, Vader was completely viable as a main villain/leader. That's not the case here imo, not even close.

We'll see if JJ figures out a way to bring back Snoke in some way or another, there are some good fan theories out there but of course that doesn't mean it's gonna happen.
If there is a massive flash forward, maybe they can do something with Kylo but at the same time, where is he going to learn from as far as the dark side goes? If they keep going down the path of "no training needed", it's going to dumb down the Force aspect of SW to a ridiculous level.

Del Toro’s DJ had the right idea...get your money and live free. :lol

That’s practically all he did for this movie! Hopefully there was real cash in those stacks he walked out with on that scene. :lol

But this is exactly how KK wants to portray the male leads in this movie, either as emotionally unstable and dangerous like kylo, or hot headed and unreliable like poe, or as silly comedy relief like Finn. Show me one male lead role in this movie that serves as a role model for young boys?

That's a good point, while there's nothing wrong with a focus on Rey and a point that a woman can be a hero, that shouldn't mean not having a male still personifying those same qualities, keep someone a true hero and a role model, just reduce their screen time compared to Rey and you get both the female empowerment agenda without giving boys poor role models.

I would argue that Poe isn't a strong male role model. Yes, he struggled in this film, but seemed to have figured things out by the end of the movie. Even Leia gave him her blessing near the end, as it's obvious he will be leading the Rebellion in the next film ... while paired off with Rey.

Kylo does not come off as a villain at all, he's more like a rebellious child with a lot of power at his disposal and he's taken out his emotions on the galaxy and the people he's feeling them towards happen to be on the "good side"

I think I’ve seen this played out before......give me
a sec.

Oh yea, it’s Anakin. Good ole grandpa....except Kylo killed his master whereas Anakin didn’t until he was much older

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back